Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default rough idle and running rich

I pulled the battery out of my XR6 a couple of weeks ago to jump stat a car. Since then she is running rich (from 750km/tank down to 500) and when pulling up to the lights after slipping it in neutral runs rough with idle fluctuating from 250-1000rpm. It only does this a few times before settling back to 800rpm. I've swapped the o2 sensor for a good one, tried a new battery in it and cleaned the terminals, no difference. MAP sensor looks new and hasn;t thrown up any warning lights on dash (if a faulty one does that?).
I've done a search but haven't found anything under the same circumstances.
The fact it has done this after pulling out the battery has got me buggered.

Any help appreciated as I've resorted to driving a plasticy rattly BA Fairmont Ghia til the AU is sorted.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: rough idle and running rich

Hey smoo
Have you done the old clean the IAC trick?
Is it a proper I6 or a VCT alco?
I didn't think I6's had MAP sensors?
How dirty are your air and fuel filters?
Old 19-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Jimmyd
Banned

Did you reset the ECU after reconnecting battery?
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Hey smoo
Have you done the old clean the IAC trick?
Is it a proper I6 or a VCT alco?
I didn't think I6's had MAP sensors?
How dirty are your air and fuel filters?
no mate I haven't had a look at the IAC. And yep she is a VCT.
MAP sensors in these things sit under the throttle body.
Haven't checked the filters, I should probably replace, but considering it played up after removing the battery I'm guessing its electrical, if not a strange coincidence.
Jimmyd yep I did reset the ECU, cheers.
Old 19-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Hi Smoo,

Mine does this everytime I lose battery power for some reason mine doesn't relearn the base idle. Mine I usually have to take to ford to get the base idle reset and then she's good as gold.

Upon saying that I just a did a battery last month and the battery mob hooked a memory device in the cig lighter and it actually relearned on the run home and for about a week and then good.

But your problem is the base idle being out and needing to be reset it is a pain in the rear. I tried the reset trick and it just still normally does not relearn.

My friend you like me have a Princess Falcon that wants everything.

Last edited by SirHenry; 19-06-2011 at 07:06 PM.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
midgetyone

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my AU3 XR6 where the ECU had been reset. The issue then very quickly became the idling when coming out of a gear into neutral (or foot on clutch) with rev hunting slowing steadying and a/c would also hunt and slowly steady. It was bad enough it'd actually stall at traffic lights etc.
Did you go through the relearn procedure? If so which one did you follow. I went through mine stumbling a bit cause I couldn't find one for a manual version. My relearn that fixed the problem was as follows;

Find a big flat area (like car park)

-Disconnect battery & reset ECU
-Start car and allow to settle
-Idle 2 min with A/C on in gear with foot on clutch
-Idle 2 min without A/C in gear with foot on clutch
-Idle 2 min with A/C on in neutral
-Idle 2 min without A/C in neutral
-Put car in gear and with no accelerator let out clutch slowly to allow engine to adjust to load change until idling along normally (will probably stall but keep trying maybe a little accelerator to begin with if it can't do it on its own). Once revs steady put clutch in slowly and coast to stop. Do this until car is handling load change without fluctuating. Keep doing this and begin adding things like steering, brakes, a/c, lights etc until all operations smooth.

Took me around 1-2 hours to do. Hope this helps
Pacemaker 4499 with 200cpsi cat & 2 1/2' Sports exhaust
SS Induction Kit
midgetyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
And here is me thinking it is just another demanding 'coon,

Thanks for the suggestion midgetyone.

I've had it at the auto sparkys, who spent about 8 hrs on it, no fault code logged etc, and all they can find is the o2 sensor is telling the ECU it is running rich, but the ECU isn't doing anything about it. He is stumped and only suggested I replace the ECU but made no guarantees that will slove the problem. As he didn't fix it he only charged me a box of **** so no worries. I think I will take it to a dealer?
I'm getting 13l/100km on flat roads at 100kmh crusie control (!) so I def have a problem lol.
Mr Hardware who are some good wreckers you know of?... the few over here charge an arm and a leg for parts, cheers.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
midgetyone

Leaky injector/s perhaps? Bearing in mind that if you reset the ECU with a problem it learns with a problem and can make problems worse......
Pacemaker 4499 with 200cpsi cat & 2 1/2' Sports exhaust
SS Induction Kit
midgetyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Have they checked the base idle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
And here is me thinking it is just another demanding 'coon,

Thanks for the suggestion midgetyone.

I've had it at the auto sparkys, who spent about 8 hrs on it, no fault code logged etc, and all they can find is the o2 sensor is telling the ECU it is running rich, but the ECU isn't doing anything about it. He is stumped and only suggested I replace the ECU but made no guarantees that will slove the problem. As he didn't fix it he only charged me a box of **** so no worries. I think I will take it to a dealer?
I'm getting 13l/100km on flat roads at 100kmh crusie control (!) so I def have a problem lol.
Mr Hardware who are some good wreckers you know of?... the few over here charge an arm and a leg for parts, cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O2 sensor is very likely with high Ks

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

good wreckers? never heard of em.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
XR6AUIINICKS
AUII XR6 UTE

very keen to see a fix for this one as my au2 xr6 ute with manual g/b is doin it to have done plugs throttle body clean and fuel filter with no improvments
XR6AUIINICKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUIINICKS
very keen to see a fix for this one as my au2 xr6 ute with manual g/b is doin it to have done plugs throttle body clean and fuel filter with no improvments
Honestly I'd back the house on it being base idle needing to be independently reset by Ford. I have had the same thing I tried the ECU reset which didn't work on it took it to Denmac Ford 45mins later and $90 they fixed my problem being diagnosed by them correctly as Base Idle needing to be reset.

They only thing this guy has done is removed the battery so in my thinking it shouldn't be anything else other than the ECU losing the base idle setting and not relearning it for some reason.

Yes I know it seems weird but it happens because I have had it happen.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6AUIINICKS
Yep I do about 600km a week so I'm feeling it lol. I've gotta do 2000km next week so it is going to a dealer tomorrow, see what they say hopefully you are right SirHenry otherwise she will suck my bank accounts dry.

I've ruled out all things mechanical as fuel consumption nearly doubled as soon as battery was refitted.

o2 sensor is new btw.

Cheers.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

In my wagon with the big cam I found removing the battery makes the factory ecu tend to run way richer. My advice is disconnect the battery again a few times until it runs somewhat better.I feel the ecu does seem to have a different idle tune each time...I dont know why but it does.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Yep I do about 600km a week so I'm feeling it lol. I've gotta do 2000km next week so it is going to a dealer tomorrow, see what they say hopefully you are right SirHenry otherwise she will suck my bank accounts dry.

I've ruled out all things mechanical as fuel consumption nearly doubled as soon as battery was refitted.

o2 sensor is new btw.

Cheers.
See if you can get a quote from the dealerships some can charge a price for a very quick job most of mine at Denmac were 45min jobs on a diagnostic machine (the Ford one). dunno what they did other than that but it fixed it.

Make sure you get a price off em 1st though
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
In my wagon with the big cam I found removing the battery makes the factory ecu tend to run way richer. My advice is disconnect the battery again a few times until it runs somewhat better.I feel the ecu does seem to have a different idle tune each time...I dont know why but it does.
That's a very good idea as well just find an idle you can live with
Old 23-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Mr Hardware

any progress on this one smoo?
Old 24-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No mate hence no reply to the thread. I've been to the dealer, they did bugger all, there are no fault codes logged, they reckon you can't re set the base idle, and I just need to drive it till it 're learns' itself, well *** me I've done 2,000km last week and about 4k since it started happening with no difference.
The worst recorded mileage I got last week was 13.8l/100km, best 12.8 highway 100km/h.
If I could find a wrecked 5 spd VCT I'd buy it and start swapping over parts but are few and far between.
Going off what the auto sparky said, the ECU isn't adjusting fueling for what the o2 sensor is telling it, I will take a gamble and either send my ECU away or buy a 2nd hand one, will try and sort that this week and let ya know cheers.
Never had a efi vehicle do this to me after pulling the battery out.
Old 24-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #20
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
No mate hence no reply to the thread. I've been to the dealer, they did bugger all, there are no fault codes logged, they reckon you can't re set the base idle, and I just need to drive it till it 're learns' itself, well *** me I've done 2,000km last week and about 4k since it started happening with no difference.
The worst recorded mileage I got last week was 13.8l/100km, best 12.8 highway 100km/h.
If I could find a wrecked 5 spd VCT I'd buy it and start swapping over parts but are few and far between.
Going off what the auto sparky said, the ECU isn't adjusting fueling for what the o2 sensor is telling it, I will take a gamble and either send my ECU away or buy a 2nd hand one, will try and sort that this week and let ya know cheers.
Never had a efi vehicle do this to me after pulling the battery out.
I feel for ya Smoo, you would think the dealer would know the cars they sell, the guys that used to be at Denmac in Brisbane knew everything by practical knowledge and fixes and what worked and what didn't.

Only thing I could suggest was what one of the others suggested and try taking the battery out for a while and reset the bloody thing again cause I don't it would get much worse from the sounds of it.

Keep us updated amigo

Chris,
Old 24-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
Not good, but I guess it could be much worse. You could have a Princess Commodore! LOL!

Hope you guys get it all sorted soon.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can`t understand how disconnecting the battery would do anything unless there is a problem elsewhere, i have disconnected mine (vct) many times and not even noticed a difference afterwards, i think i would try a better workshop if the dealer is too useless to work it out.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also was experiencing similar problems and chased everything else since my O2 sensor was new. Caused me a major headache. Needless to say it ended up being my o2.

If you have one of the cheap ebay sensors I wouldn't be suprised if that's it..... mine lasted 6 months.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I would post an update to this problem, I have had another ECU fitted and a new PCV valve at the same time, fuel consumption is now down to about 11.5l/100km over 2500km since Thursday. Still need to find 3l/100km. Since fitting the new PCV valve the rough idle when coasting in neutral has gone, even though the rough idle happened after I removed the battery
Next plan may be new fuel filter, regulator, fuel rail and recon injectors.
Or just ditch the fckn thing for an XR8.

Last edited by smoo; 31-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
Dok
Wagons Forever

Hi soo, just like to know if ya found out the probs with the falcon ? As a mate has just got one today CHEAP with same thing. We'll go throu the list eg fuel & air filters, reset ecu , New pc valve , New 02 sensor , and if that dont work we'll do as SirHenry said reset base idle. Cheers Dok
Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
Dok
Wagons Forever

Hi soo, just like to know if ya found out the probs with the falcon ? As a mate has just got one today CHEAP with same thing. We'll go throu the list eg fuel & air filters, reset ecu , New pc valve , New 02 sensor , and if that dont work we'll do as SirHenry said reset base idle. Cheers Dok
Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
davistev

Did you ever solve this issue?
Old 29-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #28
4RDXR
Starter Motor

Idle motor is stuffed
4RDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #29
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Had this problem with my wagon after disconnecting the battery for a while to install cruise. Ended up doing similar to what Midgetyone suggested and it worked, car is back to normal fuel consumption.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #30
gp351
Papa Smurf

Hi just worked on a XR6 FG problem sort of similar. Only runs rough cold, will almost stall when pulling up to a stop. All OK when its motor has warmed up. Checked air filter OK, cleaned throttle body etc looked quite clean anyway.Checked fuel filter which has only been on for 15000ks, book says they do 90000k (bit of a joke), full of crap!. Fitted new filter and though that should fix it and, seems only slight improvement if any.... thinking maybe crap gone into injectors?. Hope after a few road trips it may settle down?.
gp351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post