Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Speed Camera Flashed but I wasn't speeding should I worry (WA)?

Just coming home along the Roe Hwy heading west at around 5.15pm sitting on the 100km speed limit with cruise control on and a tripod mounted speed camera flashed at me. There would be, as far as I can figure, be no other cars in their happy snap frame.

A car had just sped past me I guess at about 180 km/hr (my estimate - new yellow V8 Holden going flat strap) but I think it would have been well past the camera when it flashed me. I gently braked when I saw the camera so i was doing less than 90 km/he or maybe even as low as 80 km./he when it flashed me. Given its a double demerits double fine long weekend I am going to be even more annoyed if I am wrongly booked. I guess having my wife and son in the car as witnesses to the fact I wasn't speeding won't help if the technology has failed even with my clean-skin licence.

Am I worrying unnecessarily; do these WA camera's flash randomly to calibrate or something

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

I hated that about WA.Double demerits- double fines is a good thing but not if you get done.WA is a police state! You should be right. If not, dispute it. Best of luck.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

If old mate in the Holden was doing 180 and got flashed, we should be hearing about him on the news...dopey bastard
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Just coming home along the Roe Hwy heading west at around 5.15pm sitting on the 100km speed limit with cruise control on and a tripod mounted speed camera flashed at me. There would be, as far as I can figure, be no other cars in their happy snap frame.

A car had just sped past me I guess at about 180 km/hr (my estimate - new yellow V8 Holden going flat strap) but I think it would have been well past the camera when it flashed me. I gently braked when I saw the camera so i was doing less than 90 km/he or maybe even as low as 80 km./he when it flashed me. Given its a double demerits double fine long weekend I am going to be even more annoyed if I am wrongly booked. I guess having my wife and son in the car as witnesses to the fact I wasn't speeding won't help if the technology has failed even with my clean-skin licence.

Am I worrying unnecessarily; do these WA camera's flash randomly to calibrate or something
Was there any traffic in the other direction? As depending on the road width and angle, these puppies shoot both directions.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

WA camera's only shoot one direction...At least they put a sign up saying...You have just passed a multinova! They should put on the end of that. Have a nice day!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where on Roe Hwy was it?

You said you were heading west, if you had been heading east between orrong rd and tonkin hwy that is an 80 zone and it's heavily enforced

They don't flash randomly as far as I know but if there was a bloke in hi-vis nearby he sets it off to calibrate / test when it is being set up

Could also be possible that the bloke doing 180 went through it and it didn't go off, maybe the operator was checking it?

Anyway just wait 3 months for the fine to be sent out, if you weren't doing anything wrong have faith you won't be fined and if you are, deal with it then
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

I think ive heard before that they can flash you even if your not speeding
id say you have nothing to worry about

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
if you had been heading east between orrong rd and tonkin hwy that is an 80 zone and it's heavily enforc
No not there it was much further west just before Nicholson road I think. There wasn't a the normal little speed camera sign on the side of the road after it so perhaps they were just setting up. A neighbour also says he thinks he heard on the radio thatthey were snapping all cars to check to see if drivers were wearing seat belts; anyone else heard that story?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Yeah...they do that too. I remember they did that about 4 years ago...out of 200 cars...they caught 45 people(or thereabouts) One was a mother with 5 kids in a van..all without seatbelts! Parent of the year award goes too....
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've been flashed by a camera before when I was under the limit, never got a fine so you should be fine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A neighbour also says he thinks he heard on the radio thatthey were snapping all cars to check to see if drivers were wearing seat belts; anyone else heard that story?
I have heard that before but I dismissed it as BS. Maybe it's true.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
anarchyok

I've been flashes a few times when under and never got the fine. Not sure why.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
SIKXR8220

Happened to me on Albany hwy in Kenwick about 5 months ago same story wasn't speeding copped the flash muttered a few curses took the car to the mechanic thinking my speedo was out it wasn't never received a fine. So hopefully you will be safe.

SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Just spoke to a mate of mine (Camera Operator...Dont shoot me for having this mate!) and he said one in every 8 flashes is a safety flash...don't know how true that is...but fingers crossed you were the 8th!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive never had one flash without a fine attached soon after, ring the relevant people and tell them what happened before any fine comes your way,that would be much more convincing than complaining after a fine as im sure lots do trying to bluff their way out.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A phone call means nothing
A letter means slightly more but probably nothing
The only way to have your say is send your letter after you get the infringement notice. At least then you will get a response (probably will say tick the box to have the fine contested in court)
Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe my radar detector picked that camera up yesterday. Picked one up on tonkin last night to.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #18
goldfire

If your cruise was set to under the speed limit then you can argue that point SHOULD you be fined. However as I believe and as I have experieinced first hand if the other person is in the same shot as you are within 1/2 or so car length ( to take into account camera shutter speed etc) then you won't be fined as there are 2 cars in the photo.

I saw a kerb side cash register flash with me and another car screaming up the inside lane of me on Albany Hwy once, that was nearly 2 years ago and no fine so, if ATLEAST your car is in the same frame as another, you can argue that you wheren't the target.
goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Why would you slow down to 90 or even 80, if the speed limit was 100 and you were doing 100. If you really did this, then you deserve a ticket just for slowing down!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #20
goldfire

Quote:

I just re-read your post, and please forgive me for asking this, but if you where anywhere between tonkin and kwinana there would be almost no way you'd be alone on the road at ANY point in time at 17:15.

I know Roe VERY well and again I'm sorry, but if you where anywhere between those 2 roads then It'd be the first if you where snapped individually as I've experienced more times than I wish to just how busy Roe can get at those times.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #21
goldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Just spoke to a mate of mine (Camera Operator...Dont shoot me for having this mate!) and he said one in every 8 flashes is a safety flash...don't know how true that is...but fingers crossed you were the 8th!
I struggle to understand the need for a "Safety" flash?. I could understand maybe one or two calibration and test flashes but not a "Safety" flash. Could you get some clarification from your friend?. If not for our (the forum community) benefit, then for mine via pm as I'm rather curious.

Thankyou in advance.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 AM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfire
I struggle to understand the need for a "Safety" flash?. I could understand maybe one or two calibration and test flashes but not a "Safety" flash. Could you get some clarification from your friend?. If not for our (the forum community) benefit, then for mine via pm as I'm rather curious.

Thankyou in advance.
It's probably so that when you see the flash, you slow down - hence increased "safety" by keeping people at or below the speed limit, in addition to booking those over the limit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 03-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #23
goldfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's probably so that when you see the flash, you slow down - hence increased "safety" by keeping people at or below the speed limit, in addition to booking those over the limit.

Well you raise a valid point and it's all certainly good and true if it apply's, however the entire premise of the nova's is to take a photo of anyone going above the set speed limit and to penalize them via fines and demerits, a "safety" flash would do no more than cause un-due hardship on the poor person caught in it if they where abiding by the limit. I suggest that perhaps the OP perhaps might have a 2nd vehicle in the photo, therefor to my understanding and experience rendering the "Flash" useless as a means to identify the wrong doer at the time. Failing that we as the communtity and as people must atleast consider the fact that we as humans are not in-fallable and therefor must consider the fact that the OP believed and felt their cruise was set to the appropriate limit for that zone, but however they may have been mistaken for what ever reason can be presented.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

OP, make a note of as much detail as you can and deal with the fine if and when it comes up. Even better is some photos of the scene to demonstrate traffic conditions, weather and the cameras position in reference to the road variables (hills, corners, traffic signals and signs etc etc). Make note of where you were going, where you came from, this may indicate your attitude on the road. This should be done as close to the time of the event as possible while the facts are still clear in your head. All this helps to explain the situation, it wont get you off, but does help if to clearly explain your case if you should need to.

Even though it sounds stupid, make a note of why you felt the need to take notes and photos. You saw the flash, and knew you werent speeding and the nature of the camera fine process left you no other course of action to protect yourself from an erroneous flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfire
Well you raise a valid point and it's all certainly good and true if it apply's, however the entire premise of the nova's is to take a photo of anyone going above the set speed limit and to penalize them via fines and demerits, a "safety" flash would do no more than cause un-due hardship on the poor person caught in it if they where abiding by the limit. I suggest that perhaps the OP perhaps might have a 2nd vehicle in the photo, therefor to my understanding and experience rendering the "Flash" useless as a means to identify the wrong doer at the time. Failing that we as the communtity and as people must atleast consider the fact that we as humans are not in-fallable and therefor must consider the fact that the OP believed and felt their cruise was set to the appropriate limit for that zone, but however they may have been mistaken for what ever reason can be presented.
On these boards Im normally on the side of law enforcement and traffic enforcement in particular, but I have to point out that machines of any kind fail and give erroneous results.

I like cameras because they free up limited resources (Police and funding) to pursue other avenues of their job, but there are issues IMO in absolute acceptance of their reliability and accuracy. Those issues should not be ignored when they result in a miscarriage of justice. On the freeing of resources issue, the problem is governments will use them to cull Police numbers using cost cutting as the mantra, not improve the valuable service Police provide by increasing numbers from to the revenue and deploying them more effectively into other aspects of their job.

Last edited by fmc351; 03-03-2008 at 03:25 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I doubt it, weren't they at one stage intorducing infra red (invisible) flashes so as to not give away the position of the camera?
I'm not talking about the red flashes at night
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
I doubt it, weren't they at one stage intorducing infra red (invisible) flashes so as to not give away the position of the camera?
I'm not talking about the red flashes at night
Yeh, I was being optimistic that visibility and prevention is usually better than fines to enforce a law.

How many people speed when they know a police car is just ahead or just behind them? Not many. How many speed when they think there's no police around - almost everyone, I'd reckon (and 1 km/h over is still considered speeding)!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #27
IDT
Marko

Quote:

An there has been one on the Mitchel all weekend got me saturday night(doing just under 110) waiting for the mail. Revenue is up this weekend. Last time it took nearly three months to get the fine in the mail. Disputed it as I said how could i possibly remember who was driving. I ended up paying the fine. So just forget about it. If it comes in the mail deal with it then
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do the cameras in Vic take your photo in both directions. My friend is suggesting they cant flash oncoming traffic due to the blinding dangers of doing so?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I pulled out of a driveway one day, was doing no more than 30kph in a 60zone and got flashed, so I turned around and went and knocked on the police landcruiser window, said to the cop, 'Oh you just flashed me when I pulled out of the driveway?' his reply was, "you're right mate, was just a test flash."

So it could be the same as that....if you weren't speeding, I wouldn't worry mate.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #30
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
Do the cameras in Vic take your photo in both directions. My friend is suggesting they cant flash oncoming traffic due to the blinding dangers of doing so?
I was watching one out the front of my house in Victoria and it flashed at vehicles coming and going from it.

Off-topic, the other day I learnt that a friend was doing 60 in a 50 zone and got flashed. She then did a U-turn to try and find out where it was and got done for doing 60 again. She got two fines in the mail for that day.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post