Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
iconick
Starter Motor

Default hi. im a new user and im buyin a ford

i am lookin at a ute on the weekend and i have done some research on the net. its a xh2 xr8 apparently

what is the difference between an s and the xr8? apperntly they both have v8s but one with less power/torque. can you dentify them by different badgings, ie. tickford. whats the diference in the features

what should i look at when inspecting the car? common places for rust. what would normally wear out. ehat would be faulty

cheers for any help,

nick

iconick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The Series 2 EL XR8 which I assume the XH2 XR8 would be the ute equivalent of has a 185kw V8 which uses the explorer manifold. The standard V8 has 165kw which is what would be in an S.

Apart from that differences will be in the XR8 you will get full instrumentation (oil and volts gauges), XR seat trim, leather steering wheel, tickford suspension (I would assume, but I'm not sure about the utes since they have leaf springs in the rear), should have 16" Tickford wheels if they are still standard.

The XR8 will have XR8 and Tickford badging, but nowadays that doesnt mean much as anyone could put them on their poverty packs.

The XH is essentially still the XD ute only with the EF front grafted on and an XF dash updated with EF/EL style instrument cluster and switchgear.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
XH XR6

XH2 XR8's are fairly rare. only 624 built.
Inspect the tray, if it's been a tradies and abused it will show here

Ben
XH XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
iconick
Starter Motor

the ute has some body damage such as dints and some paint missing in spots
not sure if they no its not an xr8 or not but the ad says it but it has no tickford badges or red body stripes and they want $5990 for it and its got 250 tho on the clock

is it a good buy? ks are a bit much but its fairly cheap
Old 29-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Thats a probably a bit pricey mate. especially if the body isnt too straight. As an example last year i sold my 2000 AU ute for $6000, 230,000 kays, manual, straight body
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
iconick
Starter Motor

i brought the ute. turns out it was a s pack so i knocked the price down to 5200. body is pretty decent its beter than what i expected. motor runs fine. just needs a bit of tidying up and will be a very mint car plus there are some things that i will be doin to it in the near future so i might need some help with that as this is my first real ford and v8

the few thingsthat are wrong with it are.

the oil fill cap is broken and i cant figre out how to open it

i think the transmission may need a service, it seems a bit slopy.

interor light doesnt work

i dont like the rims

tailgate is rooted