Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Mangi
Mangi

Default From Factory AU Fuel surge problem

Hi this is my first Thread so firstly hi to all.
I have a AU Xr6 series III
Basically ok at anything below 1/2 a tank if i push hard around a corner or i plant my foot and accelerate hard the engine just cuts out for about 1 second then it kicks in again. The engine is still runing but no go as if there is not enough fuel reaching it. It happens when the fuel in the tank is moving around too much.
I spoke to Brendan mock and he said that this is a out of the factory problem and there was a handfull that this happened to and it was worst in the series III. He has been unable to solve the problem but he believes he might but wants to be paid for the labour time he spends trying to figure it out... around 2 days and the $1000 mark just to figure it out then prob materials as well on top.
If any one has had this problem and fixed it or knows how or who can fix it and also prehaps how much this would cost it will a great great help!!!!!!!
Also if anyone else has this problem and wants to get it fixed then maybe we could get people together and all pull together to get this problem fixed!!!!

Any help will be very much appreciated as it is annoying the hell outta me!!!!!

Mangi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Mangi
Mangi

PM me if you have the problem and are interested in fixing it and helping get the money to find the soloution.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

The fuel tank sock pickup is the problem. I had the same thing happen to mine & that was what was wrong with the car. I told the dealer what was going on & they told me the a batch of fuel tank socks were to be faulty & would crush in on itself blocking the fuel line pick up point. I don't how much it will cost you because mine happen when the car was only a few months old.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a thread somewhere else on these forums relating to this issue. HOWEVER, if someone can please give us costs and wether or not it is listed in a Tech Bulletin that would be great. My VCT ST has the same problem, and I've always known how to fix it, but I cbf'ed finding a price...

Actually, that being said... I might call a Ford dealer tommorow and find out...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Mangi
Mangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
There is a thread somewhere else on these forums relating to this issue. HOWEVER, if someone can please give us costs and wether or not it is listed in a Tech Bulletin that would be great. My VCT ST has the same problem, and I've always known how to fix it, but I cbf'ed finding a price...

Actually, that being said... I might call a Ford dealer tommorow and find out...

Is your soloution to the problem the same as "AUIII XR8 MAN" soloution?
If not please share!
Also could you please post the information you find out when yu call the ford dealer tommorrow that would be great.
Old 13-04-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, I get that prob too, but usually only when the wheels spin (but only cornering). Sometimes I can go around a corner pretty harsh and it cuts out, and other times I can really thrash it and nothing happens. Is this what you guys have? Damn it. I thought it was a ECU safety thing. My warranty just ran out!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=fuel

Have a read here, could help out
cheers
pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #8
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the one I was talking about. Champ Pete
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If your car has this problem a fault code is registered, anyway thats what the dealer told me.
I had this problem fixed on my car under warranty, when I took the car in it was checked and it had the fault code so the fix was to rotate the pump 180 degrees and replace the fuel sock. The pump was not replaced and I have not had the problem since.

I noticed it when I had half a tank or less. It would die just as it got to about 5000rpm and just before changing from 1st to 2nd(auto), also during right hand turns. It is just as shoonic has discribed, one second its puuling hard, the next it dies and throws you forward then finds some more fuel and pins you back again.

I don't know if replacing the fuel pump with a bigger one will fix it as the problem seems to be with the position of the pickup not the pump itself.
So can I fix this myself? Can I rotate the fuel pump and replace the sock without any major drama's?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 13-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

And also, would there be any other implications on this other then the surging, such as putting strain on the pump or injectors or anything...?

Old 13-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Mangi
Mangi

yeah i would like to know as well?
Old 18-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
Falconxr6ute
Starter Motor

Default Re: From Factory AU Fuel surge problem

So did any of you lads get this fixed or sorted out? my 2002 AUII XR6 VCT Ute has the same problems. the owner before me replaced the fuel pump 3 times (the second 2 under parts warranty) because they thought that was the problem. couldnt fix it so he gave up.

how did you do it? anyone help?

Cheers
Falconxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
mikecool84

Could there be another cause of this issue?

My 98 XR8 auto exhibits this when running on petrol but also when running on LPG.

Everything is fine and smooth until it hits about 4000rpm then it feels like a soft rev limiter has come on. It will still accelerate but 50% of the power is gone. The symptoms are exactly the same on petrol or LPG

Thinking maybe the trans is less than healthy?
It does idle really roughly on Petrol but is very smooth on LPG.

Cheers,
Mike.
mikecool84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Falconxr6ute
Starter Motor

Turns out its an electrical issue rather than the pump, also tied into a problem with the car missing at random intervals, still chasinf problem, replace coil pack, crank angle sensor, leads, plugs, cam sensors. Still no luck, seems to clear it up for a week or 2 then its back again. Frustrating really
Falconxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Check the inlet manafold gasket isn't leaking, the factory gasket was pretty ordinary and decays. If it's bad you can hear it hissing, or put a peice of rubber hose on run it across the manafold and put the other end to your ear.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

One quick test to check your fuel pump is to take the fuel return line off "safely" (remove fuel pump relay before cranking, then crank engine till starts & stalls. Use a big clean rag to cover & catch any flowing fuel) while car is not running & see if any pressurised fuel sprays out. If none spits out your fuel pump is probably not flowing at spec & is tired or faulty.

My 217,xxxkm old fuel pump was like that & had the hard rev cutout, i replaced the pump, so far so good!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: