Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Post-2016 Falcon News and Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Mulally says here (from 20:55) that there needs to be conditions in place that make Ford plants competitive otherwise work "should" go somewhere else, which at the moment does not bode well for FoA.
Different situation to US plants.
It's not so much about being competitive...
It's about having sufficient demand to justify a production plant.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #32
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Different situation to US plants.
It's not so much about being competitive...
It's about having sufficient demand to justify a production plant.
...which at the moment we don't have.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
...which at the moment we don't have.
Precisely, the problem is now not 2016.

Has anyone worked out yet that 148/month might not be low enough?

No advertising of Ecoboost/EcoLPI, or even XR6 Falcon and people are still waiting for the other shoe to drop..
Anyone wanting to know what I mean only have to re read some of Joe Hindrichs comments from earlier this year.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
IDT
Marko

The dollar is not an issue its the range of cars, the workforce and the lack of ticka.
I see no other way to compete than in the commercial and 4WD markets
According to carsales
  • Prado GXL = 60k
  • Hilux SR5 Extra cab = 48K
  • Hilux SR5 Dual cab = 55K
Benefits
  • Little "real" competition 2 brands
  • 4WD Wagon Toyota and Nissan
  • Commercials Toyota and Nissan
  • Ford AU has it within them to build high quality vehicles
  • FPV can take on Merc and BMW with HP versions and Off Road monsters.

If the will was there to build these cars and the permission was there to export I see no excuse. The cost of tooling is cheap whilst the Aussie dollar is high as the tooling could be made overseas and imported. By the time 2016 came around and if the Falcon did have to go they could have a trained ready workforce and start building a global set of High Quality 4WD and Commercials right here. It would also, dare i say it, provide an opportunity to clean house.Bring in a heap of young blood into manufacturing, design etc and let the "dead wood" go when Falcon goes.
But it would require investment and some cahones.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #35
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
The dollar is not an issue its the range of cars, the workforce and the lack of ticka.
I see no other way to compete than in the commercial and 4WD markets
According to carsales
The ranger (and its SUV spinoff) will help fill these gaps, both shining examples of Australia's expertise of engineering and design.

The EcoSport could become a good Entry level SUV though...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Just a rough sketch up....

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #37
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Rumours that the Four door Mustang could replace the Falcon continue...

http://www.stangtv.com/news/2015-mus...aussie-falcon/

Lukeyson
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #38
kiwimark

Quote:
Precisely, the problem is now not 2016.

Has anyone worked out yet that 148/month might not be low enough?

No advertising of Ecoboost/EcoLPI, or even XR6 Falcon and people are still waiting for the other shoe to drop..
Anyone wanting to know what I mean only have to re read some of Joe Hindrichs comments from earlier this year.
Are you talking about these comments
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257981000A8F2A
Old 07-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Lukeyson
Yeah this would be the best situation, I mentioned this in another thread.

Lincoln really need a RWD to compete properly with Cadillac, and a RWD Ford sedan would go against the 300c and Charger.

Maybe we could build RHD Mustangs too?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimark
Are you talking about these comments
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257981000A8F2A
I recall Joe Hindrichs mentioned that FoA could sustain low levels for a while but not indefinitely....
Ford is now going to 148/day production, on a normal month that's approximately 20 -23 work days
depending on whether there's four or five weekends so anywhere between 2,960 to 3,404.....
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #41
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Lukeyson

That would be a great outcome, and I'd happily eat my words from other threads where I've been quite confident the Falcons replacement will be FWD.

Pretty funny some of the comments under that story, how these people take "mustang to underpin Falcon" as meaning the actual Mustang will turn into a 4 door family car
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop thinking chassis = platform.
If anything, a platform is much more akin to a financial cost centre for a vehicle project.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Interesting to see the story resurface, it not going away...

If only Australia Media jumped on those stories instead of the "falcon dead, Taurus replacement"

Makes perfect sense, Austalia could produce Falcon, Falcon Ute, Territory, RHD Mustang and even a localised (or china export) version of a RWD lincoln.

5 cars out of the one factory all sharing the same basic underpinnings?

Im no beencounter, but that sounds like a winner....

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hrrrmm.

Broadmeadows manufacturing RHD Mustangs for RHD markets in Australia, the UK, Japan and South Africa (and anywhere else) and Flat Rock manufacturing them for the North American and European LHD markets.

Hrrmmmm...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #45
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I'm not sold yet. Firstly, a big part of pushing Mustang globally is not just to recoup development faster, but to get more units moving through Flat Rock. As far as Europe goes, its going to be alot of small niche markets. They may yet move as many through the UK as they do the rest of Europe. Which brings the next point. Why build the UK models half a world away from the rest of the European models?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I'm not sold yet. Firstly, a big part of pushing Mustang globally is not just to recoup development faster, but to get more units moving through Flat Rock. As far as Europe goes, its going to be alot of small niche markets. They may yet move as many through the UK as they do the rest of Europe. Which brings the next point. Why build the UK models half a world away from the rest of the European models?
Why build Mondeos for the AU market half a world away? Don't forget the Mustang will be sold in the Asia-Pacific region as well. Additionally, why fag up Flat Rock for a whole bunch of niche orders for niche markets adding complexity to the build process with LHD and RHD builds when an underutilised, low to medium volume plant down here can do it that is already configured to build RHD (and RWD) cars?

Don't forget Flat Rock is going to be producing the new Fusion as well, it will be a good seller, so I don't think Ford are going to have any issues getting enough volume to keep Flat Rock busy.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #47
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Aren't there more RHD markets in this region than in Europe? Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong, Thailand, Pakistan, India, Indonesia - doesn't that add up to more people than in England?

Lukeyson
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #48
BrisVegas
Noobie

4 door Mustang (badged as Falcon?), Mustang coupe, Mondeo... not a bad outlook if you ask me.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #49
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

An article from 2006.

At the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as "The Interceptor", is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture and will be a preview of the Ford Mustang sedan that will go on sale starting 2011.
link
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/20...n-ar18009.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-ford-mustang-4-door--8_600x0w.jpg (36.2 KB, 59 views)

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Forget anything pre-2007.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #51
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could FoA along with building a new Falcon based on the Mustang but also build the Mustang for Australia and other niche markets in the Asia-Pacific where Ford could charge a premium for these cars for smaller production numbers. These would not be bread and butter cars as the Falcon but a premium high end vehicle
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah you would think off the one platform they could have the falcon as a middle class car, Lincoln with a higher spec filtering tech down and the mustang doing its normal thing and plugging gaps.

If they keep the Falcon and have the mustang selling in the same market then the mustang should have a premium sure, but if they take the Falcon away then it should be priced like it is in the US..as a entry level sports car.

Off the same platform you can develop SUV's etc...I think we should let the Falcon ute go, the Ranger really does everything the Falcon ute does and better. Sure you might lose a little bit of ride comfort but maybe our market can have a Ranger that is more road/courier orientated.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
An article from 2006.

At the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as "The Interceptor", is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture and will be a preview of the Ford Mustang sedan that will go on sale starting 2011.
link
And boy, wasn't Mulally disappointed when Mark fields told him they had zero intention of building it.
Mustang based in name only, had double wishbone front and a DEW styled IRS, it didn't even drive - recycled parts.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeah you would think off the one platform they could have the falcon as a middle class car, Lincoln with a higher spec filtering tech down and the mustang doing its normal thing and plugging gaps.

If they keep the Falcon and have the mustang selling in the same market then the mustang should have a premium sure, but if they take the Falcon away then it should be priced like it is in the US..as a entry level sports car.

Off the same platform you can develop SUV's etc...I think we should let the Falcon ute go, the Ranger really does everything the Falcon ute does and better. Sure you might lose a little bit of ride comfort but maybe our market can have a Ranger that is more road/courier orientated.

you could use the Lincoln in Australia as the Fairlane/LTD
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
Old 08-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #55
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
An article from 2006.

link
This is the concept, very gangster. Was supposd to be a Global RWD derivitive, but they canned it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Interceptor
Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #56
nstg8a

im glad they didnt build it, its fugly.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I reckon it looked tough.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The styling is polarising...you either like it or hate it..
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #59
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Needs different front and rear...look like a light hearted retro touch...

Is a concept car though, but the odd thing is it sorta looks a bit "off the mark" compared to what Ford actually did with styling...

The closest thing to it would be the 500/taurus...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
nstg8a

Quote:
The styling is polarising...you either like it or hate it..
much like an au, maybe the reaction from the au was noticed over there...
Closed Thread