Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is this really what ford Australia is up against?

Today i was out on the foot path, warming the XR up and decided to take some pics.

I sent one of the XR and the XB off to a few friends, the replies i got was rather extreme.

One young lady replied 'hah, f-ing fords'

Another replied, 'both are s--t, should have bought a holden.'

Now, I'm not sure what annoyed me more, that both drive excels but fly the holden flag with ridiculous enthusiasm. Or that neither show any respect for a passion that i have personally (kind of like saying to a mother her child is ugly and it should have been a boy)

Now my reply was rather blunt. Simple and to the point. "Good to see you have no respect, so i wont waste anymore money on you".

But is this really what ford is up against?

Now honestly, i can understand someone not liking the XR, its common amongst the current brain-dead generation to have a very one eyed approach to what they like.

But the XB? Surely a classic muscle car transends this blind ford/holden fanboyism?

GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
XC-351

its personal opinion to some your car may not be anything special even if its your pride n joy
Old 14-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its very disconcerting to see comments made by others about some ones pride and joy, car videos on youtube are a perfect example....boganism is alive and well sadly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
290v
290v

Don't worry mate i have the same thing here all these Holden fans driving around in Hyundi's, mitsubishi's and what ever but at least you put your money with your team and bought Fords
Old 14-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
its personal opinion to some your car may not be anything special even if its your pride n joy
+1 and if they drive Hyundai Excels who cares what they think, they're dropkicks by the sounds of it
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Angeldust

im into holdens, but that XB makes me weep. I WANT ONE

:(

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Another replied, 'both are s--t, should have bought a holden.'
Should of just replied "or maybe a Hyundai........"
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust
im into holdens, but that XB makes me weep. I WANT ONE

:(
I'm into Fords, and I feel the same way.

Modern designers have a lot to learn from the XA-XC Coupes.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Now, I'm not sure what annoyed me more, that both drive excels but fly the holden flag with ridiculous enthusiasm.
Mate if they're driving excels then they're not really new car buyers. So if they're holden 'fans' then the loss is to Holden.

I know two Holden lovers that have moved over to the Ford Marque. But they're Holden through and through...even if they never owned Holdens. Most of the time its a bandwagon for a lot of these supporters.

BTW love both cars, would love either one sitting in my driveway.
Old 14-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

If they cant appreciate a car for what it is, and not just be blinded by some badge on its flanks, they are indicative of a truly sad 'sub' generation being raised by us today. The era of the car as an object of joy and envy is passing, at best it is becoming transport, at worst a object of derision helping to destroy the planet......today they'd rather spec up their glowing gaming PC's with some fancy cooling fan or some such....

God help us.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

i can understand why they said that about the modern falcon..its simple, GM (ie Holdens parent company) is bankrupt and the falcon has one alot more awards than the commodore...oh and i think a little bit of V8 supercars comes into the equation :P...but i dont understand why they would flame against the XB GT..its an iconic aussie muscle car...i would be more than happy to have either a classic GT or a monaro in my garage..its sad how some people are so ignorant and believe that they should be purchasing a car based on its make...if the FG falcon was rebadged as a holden, im quite sure a majority holden die hards would get themselves one...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i do not see what the problem is, except for the lack of respect shown to the original poster. i do not care about any holden and do not look at any as classic's. it is true as hemank has suggested, that people base their tastes on the make, but that is natural. both ford and holden have kept to their own styling and principals for many years now and i like the ford way. it is also true that if ford produced the ve, i would somehow find a way to like parts of it, but there is nothing wrong with that - it is called loyalty. that doesn't mean i like all ford's or that i would argue an invalid point, but my heart is a blue oval and it will always remain that way

maybe the fact that i have never owned a car less than 14 years old is a reason for that, but if i was looking for a new car - it would be ford, mazda or german - i would not even consider going to a dealer with a kitten in it's logo
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have come across such comments with the one show I took my pride and joy to, It was the Z car club rally, (the one club who would let me show my car, A 1983 Mitsubishi Scorpion which has been fully restored) I was 20 at the time, and had just spent 4 years slowly rebuilding it, and really thought it was something out of the ordinary until the "concourse" judges wouldnt even look at it in its division " because it was without pedigree" and then went on to call it a "waste of their time". I have never shown the car again, and never will, To me cars are a personal thing, that enthusiasts grow attached to for reasons that sadly the majority of onlookers or passers by just never understand.

I take great pride in taking care of my vehicles, because it makes me feel good, and when some tool cruises past driving whatever he or she chooses and passes negative comment on either my Fiat Punto, Mitsubishi Scorpion, or Fiesta Ghia, I have nothing to say back to them. They quite simply arent worth the effort.

I have just ordered an XR6T ute and expect a lot of negative comments about why I didnt buy a Holden, and as I feel inside, Its my car, I have to drive it, I have to maintain it, Its my choice. I think thats the real reward of being an enthusiast, not winning awards, but simply being proud of what you have chosen and representing the brand or vehicle as well as you can in your own way.

Cheers,

Ash.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

According to many who post on here its only Ford fans that are biased, while those with Holdens appreciate all makes so find this very hard to beleive!

I have quite a few mates who have Holdens who have loved giving me hell over the years about my Fords and V8 Supercars ...... they have shut up lately though after putting there bums into various VE"s. Discussions about cars have been very quiet of late

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
To me cars are a personal thing, that enthusiasts grow attached to for reasons that sadly the majority of onlookers or passers by just never understand.
that is very true. the only person that needs to be impressed is the owner - it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - at all
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
silly thing to say, even if its not anything special the key term here is "pride and joy"
you dont say stuff like that to a friend who obviously loves his cars so much
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No you have got it all wrong. They want you to buy a Holden so that they have a better car than you..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reality is there are alot of dipshits out there, alot of them are chicks. Ford suck and Holden rules, but the bulk of these dropkicks won't even be able to tell you what model or year any particular Holden is.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
reds89

i come across this often,so called holden supporters but dont drive one?,but quick to criticize ford,jelousy perhaps who knows.
reds89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
falzoony
Rockin '67

By the sound of it these people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a ford and holden without the badges. I have friends like this too.
They would see it as harmless fun calling your car a POS but they obviously don't understand what it is like to have a REAL passion for cars.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #21
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't let it affect you so much, you're certainly not alone. Bogans are everywhere these days. We went to a local convenience store after a V8 Supercar race(I think it was the 2005 Indy) and this idiot that ran the store who drives a TR or TS Magna said he was annoyed after "Lowndesy" won the round. He winged "Skaifie was right behind him, why didn't he overtake him? Holdens are better than Fords." It kind of annoys me because I know for a fact he has never driven the then-current model Fords and Holdens and that he's claiming that V8 Supercars are technically different to each other.

There's another idiot I know who really (for no reason) hates Fords. Ever since I've known this guy, he claims Ford is going bankrupt and they won't exist before the end of each year since 2007. He got upset to find out that my father just ordered a new G6E, he asked my why didn't he buy a Commodore and I said "because the G6E is newer and they have more power" and he says "who cares about that".
And what is his family's only car?... ...A Kia Rio. (sigh)
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I'd suggest choosing friends more carefully.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #23
BlackLS
yum

Just like someone's mother, you should never say a thing negative about someone's car regardless of what they have.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
yetchh
go bro

i think just depends on the person and how aggressive and wise they are about their opinion, i've noticed that there are loads of one eyed ford lovers on this site also so holden is definitely not immune, i'm a big fan of 70's japanese cars and get a lot of stick from both ford and holden lovers about them being ricers, but who gives a stuff anyway, they all have their good points, i like both marques but if i was to buy new i'd get a holden as i think they look better, but the 70's ford def have an edge (huge) over the 70s holdens... IMHO people who scoff at one anothers cars arent true car lovers and dont understand the merits of what it means to be one, i'd go as far as to say they suffer from automotive ignorance...
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car bashing fraternity is becoming more vocal- you are destoying the planet etc! They love to criticise my big block drag car as a huge waste of precious fuel. I then ask them what they do for rest and relaxation - how about a plane trip to the mainland? Oh yes, many reply. Then i point that i used less than a 44 gal drum in 2 seasons of racing - and how much fuel did they use geting to and from Queensland in tha plane.....yeah shut the f... up and let me enjoy my hobby and you can enjoy yours. No derisive comments.

I like the idea of asking how their ugly kids are doing though!

As for Ford bashing in particular - most are not in the market for a new car. I hear people saying that Ford should build this or that - then would they buy them? No. So they build them to suit me as a new car buyer. I love the new range of falcons. Ford has done its job. And if that supercharged gtho comes out i will be first in line.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
GeoNazi
Banned

Love the XB coupes
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #27
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

My niece's 18Yr old boyfriend is the same, Won't even look at the GT, but If it was even just a base SS commordore he'd be drooling all over it.
He makes smart comments, and I just laught out loud at him, humiliate him and give him crap about being a kid and thus nothing but a fanboy. I suggest out loud he should come see me what he has driven a few real cars and not just read magazines. He never learns.

It's not what FORD is up against, Just the mentality of those on the otherside.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #28
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here with my group of friends, they don't care if a car is better in any aspect, Holden is better because its a Holden and not a "Dirty Ford".

Or that Holden is Australian and Ford is American.

People tell me that Ford sucks, I tell them that they swallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Or that Holden is Australian and Ford is American.
Most of them think Holden invented the ute too, show them this:

The 'Ute' - A vehicle with the cabin of a car and the rear of a small truck was designed by Lewis Brandt at the Ford Motor Company in Geelong , Victoria.1934 and called a 'Utility Vehicle'. The 'ute' has long been a favourite vehicle for farmers and tradesmen and is part of the Australian landscape.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Most of them think Holden invented the ute too
It doesn't help when Holden push this idea in their tiny little heads.