Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Lajon

Default Help with alternator

Good morning, i have a series 1 au lane and my wife drove an hour from home and the car stopped in traffic...i replaced the power steering pump about a a week ago as it was leaking so I'm guessing that means that I will have to change the alternator...problem is it seems that i can only purchase series 2/BA alternators which have a 2 prong plug instead of 3 prong like mine. What do u do in the this situation?

I have seen this but just want to know if it is easy to do/what i need to do it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-A...item3cc407367b

Lajon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Default Re: Help with alternator

I think so, I put a BA alternator in my EA that was basically running an EF motor, with very little trouble from memory.

The main issue (from memory) I had was was swapping some housing bits over due to mounting points being a bit different.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Found what I did if it helps

http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...6&postcount=50

"My latest BA part to go in - a BA alternator.

You can't buy brand new ef/el alternators, so I had though a rebuild will be my only option.

Well today I was shown a brand new BA alternator and looking at it, I thought it wont fit the ef/el motor bot I am sure I can devise a way, after several moments thought, and a bit of measuring I decided with the swapping of the front cover it would fit the ef/el engine. (I was going to swap front and back covers but that seemed to much work for the end result needed).

I removed the pulley's, removed the 4 bolts around the outside of the front housing, removed it, put the ef/el front housing on the ba alternator did it all back up and bolted it in, the plugs are in a slightly different spot and now the the alternator is held by just 2 points at the front, will devise a bracket for the rear soon.

But it did fit, it is done up tight and it was plug and play wiring.

So after a few hours work, and a bit of effort, I now have a hybrid 110amp brand new BA alternator in my car (essentially a BA alternator with ef/el front cover). "

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

EA2BA?
Old 16-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the alternator still ok? if it is hit it with non caustic degreaser and you may save it . if it isn't that kit is the genuine ford kit to upgrade to the later alternator and will solve your problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajon View Post
Good morning, i have a series 1 au lane and my wife drove an hour from home and the car stopped in traffic...i replaced the power steering pump about a a week ago as it was leaking so I'm guessing that means that I will have to change the alternator...problem is it seems that i can only purchase series 2/BA alternators which have a 2 prong plug instead of 3 prong like mine. What do u do in the this situation?

I have seen this but just want to know if it is easy to do/what i need to do it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-A...item3cc407367b

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had this problem when I did my v8 conversion. 3 pin plug when was originally a 2 pin plug. Simply changed the connector on the cable to the alternator as only 2 pins are used on any of them.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post