Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
ben131185

Default series 1 front brake calipers

got the car back from the mechanics today. and was told that my front calipers may be buggered. the inner brake pads are about 85% worn while the outers are only about 50% worn. so he suspects the calipers are sticking.

so what are my options? new/reco calipers or rebuild the calipers?

then there is also the au2/3/ba/bf front brake upgrade, although there does seem to be a bit involved there. and i guess its a bit of a gamble using parts from a wreckers etc. i would probably want to go with new pads and rotors which ups the cost abit.

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: series 1 front brake calipers

I would check the Slides and see if they are working properly. Calipers rarely get buggered so easily as they are cast.
How dirty is the brake fluid? how long has it been since your car had a brake flush?

You are right about the AU2,3, BA, BF brake upgrade. It requires you to change the lower control arms, stub axles, brake hoses, sway bar and add 2 sway bar brackets.

Just check what I mentioned first ok? the slides can get pretty dirty and can cause your trouble as well.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
ben131185

righto, ill give the slides a look.

i know up for new pads, rotors have minor shudder so due for a machine soon but i might just upgrade to slotted rotors and some good pads.

Fluid was done 10,000 ago (i think) 20,000 at most. Will have to check how it looks.

Cheers.
Old 20-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
ben131185

have just got new bendix general ct pads and rda slotted and dimple drilled rotors, ready to go on.

i'm thinking i should remove the calipers and replace all the seals and rubbers, for roughly $50 for the kit, its probably worthwhile to just do it now.

when i remove the banjo bolt disconnecting the brake line from the caliper, brake fluid is obviously going to leak out, how much is going to leak out while i have the calipers off? is it just going to be a bit of what is in the line? or is it going to keep going until the reservoir is empty?
Old 20-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

It will gravity feed untill the master cyl is empty not advisable,you can buy plastic clamps that crimp onto the rubber brake hose to stop this...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
ben131185

i have a set of clamps like these vvvv that i have used to clamp diesel fuel lines on my navara when changing fuel filters.

ill give these a go. i was just a bit sceptical of using them on brake lines.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLAMPS-FO...40968c0&_uhb=1
This user likes this post:
Old 20-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Exactly the type i use matey, cost me $15 from Repco

But mine are yellow
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
ben131185

awesome mate, thanks for the help.