Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
xr8lover

Default Good looking car

Hey everyone, I never thought I would ever fall in love with a Hyundai but I saw a real decent looking vehicle the other day, a Hyundai i40 touring wagon, what a great looking car !. Could see myself driving one of these easily. Anyone else like them ?

2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Good looking car

I don't see why I wouldn't buy a Hyundai if I needed a cheap small car to get around the shops. I think Hyundais have improved a lot in the looks department in recent years, much better than the days of the Getz.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Looks, but how do they drive?

Seems a lot of emphasis on car advertising these days is on looks and gadgets rather than how they drive.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Looks, but how do they drive?

Seems a lot of emphasis on car advertising these days is on looks and gadgets rather than how they drive.
Depends on brand and target market.

Prefer the look of the Kia's myself, they aren't far off making a decent handling car, most other elements are there.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 13-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Nooooooooooo...

You are an I'll informed fool who will part with their money easily. You obviously need glasses and have an obvious misunderstanding of what a quality motor car is due to the fact you are looking at a... God forbid, foreign car with (blind) envious eyes....

You are obviously a person who cares not for driving dynamics, quality, refinement, badge creed and you will need to be re-educated on the poor driving dynamics of a front wheel driven car (cue picture of trike with generic caption below about how we knew from an early age that FWD sux)...

This i40 is just a rip off of x, y and z cars. As you can see, it has 4 wheels like car x, a curve in the badge like car y and that rear wagon section looks very similar to car z - in fact, I believe the designer of car z has jumped ship to the peninsula and has gone there to teach that struggling, non 'big boy' threatening brand firstly how to build cars and secondly how to actually drive them, because, of course we all know that 'most of them' don't even hold a licence.

Shame on you...

Ps... Love the i40 Wagon and will be buying a new diesel one next year ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
7 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we bought a new hyundai ix35 in 2011. turbo diesel goes pretty damn well, i'd say better than the AU falcon we sold to get the hyundai. no issues with the car, servicing price is ok, resale is going to hurt (but probably the same for most cars these days).

as for the 'driving dynamics' argument. the suv goes, stops, turns when we ask it. it goes to the shops and school just as well as it drives on the highway and freeway. it is after all a family car for driving around in, not a race car for handling or racing up mountain passes.

and the choice of car we had when we bought was down to a FG xr6t or the hyundai, my wife chose hyundai as the xr6 looked the same as our AU inside.

i like the look of the new i40 wagon as well, but the but the suv suited our wants more than the wagon.

good luck with the drive/purchase

-tim
Old 13-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Been looking at those as well to replace the bus. Ticks all the boxes for us. Except will be getting petrol and not diesel.
Old 13-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I think they look great! Especially with the bigger wheels. Even the new i30 looks good. If I was after a small car, it would definitely be on the list. I owned 3 Hyundai's back in the early 90's and they were all good cars. I imagine they'd be even better now.
Old 13-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

My company car is an i30 and I can't really fault the thing, goes well, heaps of gadgets for the money and it looks decent too.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 13-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Danford2
Starter Motor

I used to work for Hyundai and can say that they are a great car we never had any issues with them (well except for the Sat Nav but that is across the entire range)
The 2.0l petrol is very very under powered and feels quite sluggish when you have a full car load, but it is a hyundai and you are not buying a performance car more a family wagon.
The diesel is the 1.7l which is great on the open road but again has very little power, but the torque is nice around town. The ix35 2.0l would be much better in the i40
I'd say go for the VF2 i40 diesel premium it has a lot of cool features including self parking (very cool) and even has a sensor that stops you going out of your lane on the highway if you are falling asleep.

Overall nice car but no performace at all, but it is a family wagon
Old 13-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Thought this thread could use a pic....

i40 Wagon
Old 13-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id own one no worries, probably a diesel though. Sedan isnt half bad looking either.
Old 13-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
stevz
Banned

It seems Hyundai have done an excellent job in fooling gullible people.

Take a cheap and nasty, poor quality, ill handling disposable tin can, steal a heap of design cues from various other cars, throw in a heap of fancy but useless gimmicks and the fools will lap them up like no tomorrow. Hopefully nobody will notice that they are just mutton dressed as lamb.

The funny thing is that even though they have poached designers from respected Euro marques, Hyundais are stupid and dopey looking, overdone and bordering on ridiculous. Look at that abhorrent Veloster abomination for instance. Anybody who drives one of those should be charged with creating a public eyesore.

Each to their own but if you want to drive a Hyundai that is your misery. Life is too short to spend it driving a fwd Korean buzz box. Seriously.
They are the McDonalds of motor vehicles - cheap and convenient but if you have even the slightest appreciation for quality you will see that it is utter rubbish.

Will this forum be renamed 'Australian Hyundai Forums' seeing there are so many closet Hyundai lovers here?
Old 13-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Look at that abhorrent Veloster abomination for instance. Anybody who drives one of those should be charged with creating a public eyesore.
Shows how vastly different we all are... I think it's one of the most striking designs on the road atm (for its price). The current crop of Hyundais are quite easy to look at.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
5 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
it seems hyundai have done an excellent job in fooling gullible people.

Take a cheap and nasty, poor quality, ill handling disposable tin can, steal a heap of design cues from various other cars, throw in a heap of fancy but useless gimmicks and the fools will lap them up like no tomorrow. Hopefully nobody will notice that they are just mutton dressed as lamb.

The funny thing is that even though they have poached designers from respected euro marques, hyundais are stupid and dopey looking, overdone and bordering on ridiculous. Look at that abhorrent veloster abomination for instance. Anybody who drives one of those should be charged with creating a public eyesore.

Each to their own but if you want to drive a hyundai that is your misery. Life is too short to spend it driving a fwd korean buzz box. Seriously.
They are the mcdonalds of motor vehicles - cheap and convenient but if you have even the slightest appreciation for quality you will see that it is utter rubbish.

Will this forum be renamed 'australian hyundai forums' seeing there are so many closet hyundai lovers here?
Shut up idiot !!!
Old 13-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
They are the McDonalds of motor vehicles - cheap and convenient but if you have even the slightest appreciation for quality you will see that it is utter rubbish.
Agreed, but that's the sign of the times unfortunately.

There is always a bigger line at the McDonalds at lunch time, than at the sandwich place next door selling the good quality fresh rolls.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was surprised to find myself admiring a car not long ago and got the shock of my life when I saw it was a Hyundai i45. Regardless of features, looks or popularity I'm still not sure I could bring myself to spending the amount of money they seem to ask for what's still a 'Hyundai'. But that's just me.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not gullible here I spent MY money on what I want not what some moron on AFF wants. My money not theirs.
At least I buy new cars not like some who wait for second hand cars to come along...

Quality? Better not buy a falcon. Wait? No one is.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
It seems Hyundai have done an excellent job in fooling gullible people.

The funny thing is that even though they have poached designers from respected Euro marques, Hyundais are stupid and dopey looking, overdone and bordering on ridiculous. Look at that abhorrent Veloster abomination for instance. Anybody who drives one of those should be charged with creating a public eyesore.

Each to their own but if you want to drive a Hyundai that is your misery. Life is too short to spend it driving a fwd Korean buzz box. Seriously.

Will this forum be renamed 'Australian Hyundai Forums' seeing there are so many closet Hyundai lovers here?
OK, my name should be changed to 'Yellow_Nostradamus' lol

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
4 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
At least I buy new cars not like some who wait for second hand cars to come along...
Elitist much?
Old 13-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy View Post
Elitist much?
Not even close. I have had 5 second hand falcons.

But i guess you know me. And way to miss the point.
Old 13-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
dawsman
FG GT 335 Owner

I have an i30 and it's brilliant. Looks fantastic inside and out, plenty of features for the money, comfortable ride, feels solid/well made and the killer blow: a 5 year warranty.

Okay, the manual gearbox and handling aren't great, at least not as good as the Focus I test-drove, but for a $20K run-around I'm not complaining!

TOY: 2011 FG GT 335 #0498, Nitro, 6sp MANUAL, 18% tint, Herrod K&N Filter, Herrod-JLT oil breather, Manta twin 3" s/s cat-back exhaust, Shockworks adjustable coilovers, R-Spec wheels (build thread)

DAILY: 2015 PXII Ranger Wildtrak, Pride Orange, 6sp auto, tech pack (pics here)

BEFORE: 2005 Mercury Silver BF XR8 ZF Auto, 20% tint, custom 2.5" cat-back exhaust, Advanti Zeta 19" wheels (found it!)
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Ps... Love the i40 Wagon and will be buying a new diesel one next year ;)
You chose to buy a Hyundai over a new S/C GT? Anyone who buys a Hyundai over an Australian car has given up on life!
Old 13-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #24
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

It never ends does it team ??

Old 13-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post

and the choice of car we had when we bought was down to a FG xr6t or the hyundai, my wife chose hyundai as the xr6 looked the same as our AU inside.

-tim
I don't mean to go off topic here, but how the hell does an AU interior look like a FG interior? I understand the badge on the steering wheel but the Fg is miles ahead otherwise
Closed Thread