Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default The price of cotton wool about to soar....

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226174030039

The world has gone nuts. I know it's a common theme on these forums about the Nanny State but this sort of stuff just has to stop.

Quote:
A QUEENSLAND primary school has banned popular chasing games Tiggy and Red Rover from the playground.

New Farm State School, in Brisbane's inner north, outlawed the popular lunchtime activities because of injury fears.

Students have instead been told to play safer games like chess and snakes and ladders.

NFSS principal Virginia O'Neill has outlined the "temporary" ban to parents and students, saying it is necessary to protect students from "Prep to Year 7".

The move has been roundly criticised as "safety madness" and another case of cotton wool kids.

Ms O'Neill says the chasing games have left first aid staff working overtime with frequent accidents and disputes.

Instead, pupils could play boardgames or could take part in organised sports such as soccer and netball.
Read the whole story by following the link.

Old 23-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The price of cotton wool about to soar....

the world has gone mad..

such fun as kids the british bulldogs / red rover Holden vs Ford...

whats next no kissing behind the sheds.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

quoted from the article
It later emerged that some parents had lodged lawsuits seeking compensation for injuries they claimed their children had suffered at school.

there is the problem. the kids shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool, the parents should have been wrapped in rubber a few years earlier

i would hate to be a teacher or principal - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. as homer would say "they're the school's problem now"
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

There are pages and pages of policy documents within the education system - the concept of 'duty of care' has really sent schools into a spin because the public liability costs alone are enough to bring a school to it's knees and potentially ruin a teachers career...It's a sad indictment of our society that we find parents are actually trying (and in many cases successfully) suing schools because of such things...instead of accepting that their kids are just that - they're out to make a quick buck. There is more - but I would be banned... :\

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
quoted from the article
It later emerged that some parents had lodged lawsuits seeking compensation for injuries they claimed their children had suffered at school.

there is the problem. the kids shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool, the parents should have been wrapped in rubber a few years earlier

I would hate to be a teacher or principal - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. as homer would say "they're the school's problem now"
And it isn't media beat-up either. We have been threatened several times just this year for the very same reason....

Can't go into details of course, but needless to say in every case it was the fault of the school (and the teacher on duty) every time.... The students who consciously went out of their way to by-pass barriers, ignore several verbal warnings told on a daily basis in class / assembly / newsletters, who passed signs warning not to do this and that and who replied that they knew what they were doing was very wrong (afterwards).... couldn't possibly be to blame for their misfortune in the playground??? It was the teacher who didn't shadow that 1 student the entire time they were on duty of course...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
quoted from the article

i would hate to be a teacher or principal - you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. as homer would say "they're the school's problem now"
and our parents would have told us to htfu....
Old 23-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GET OFF THAT TREEE.. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CLIMB THAT TREEE......
Old 23-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:

lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

but sir, i was just leaning against it?....

I do suppose this isn't as bad as a few NSW High Schools (mine being one) who are now forcing all students to wear pure white socks at all times, or else you are kept behind for 1 hour for detention after school.... So yes, it's getting stupid what the Government is starting to enforce....
Old 23-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When I was in Grade 6 tackle footy was banned, had to be touch footy and british bulldog was banned too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
gtxb67

Quote:
and our parents would have told us to htfu....
parents now say "get me the number to our laywer" and of course "this is where you tell the doctor it hurts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
So yes, it's getting stupid what the Government is starting to enforce....
they don't necessarily have a real choice. if they don't create a nanny state, they get sued as well. someone must pay for every accident and injury and unfortunately it is not the person responsible, because the blame can be traced right down the line to someone else - generally the one with the deep pockets
Old 23-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Shouldn't we be letting kids run around? Isn't obesity Australia number one health problem?

We are sending two different messages to kids these days, "Be active" and "just sit there".

Reminds me of the old saying "Hurry up and wait".

Cheers

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
We had these huge oak trees near the farm house, one day my mum came out of the house to call me in for dinner.....Hey mum look at me!! i was 8 years old and about 50 ft up one of them.....YOU FALL OUTA THAT TREE AND I'LL KILL YA , NOW GET IN HERE FOR YOUR DINNER!!

Edit: She never told me not to climb them, just informed me that i would cop it if i fell out of them...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No wonder kids are so fat these days.

What a joke.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
No wonder kids are so fat these days.

What a joke.
You are not wrong. A few years ago we had a Fete... a child won a pretty sweet looking mountain bike. The parent refused the prize, opting for a lower prize (Gameboy / hand held electronic game of sorts) because she didn't want him 'playing on the streets'....

At least his thumbs will be fit lol.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
You are not wrong. A few years ago we had a Fete... a child won a pretty sweet looking mountain bike. The parent refused the prize, opting for a lower prize (Gameboy / hand held electronic game of sorts) because she didn't want him 'playing on the streets'....

At least his thumbs will be fit lol.
Well, they could have at least sold the bike on Ebay and used the money to get him a PSP haha.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Well, they could have at least sold the bike on Ebay and used the money to get him a PSP haha.
you got fatty fingers....
Old 23-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The courts should not rule in favour of idiots all the time.

All kids have hurt themselves at some point with cuts and bruises, and some of us may have even break a bone. Big deal, it all heals. Some people just want to make a quick buck out of anything.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn they might have to close things in schools like the swimming pool or the gym because "oh no don't do that you'll hurt yourself"..... damn and isn't australia against obesity???
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May as well pave over the playgrounds and ovals and turn em into a big parking lot for the sloths in there 4WD " Urban assault vehicles" to park up and gossip and moan about life lol
Old 23-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I swear some parents have got rock's in their heads. Yes, somethings are dumb to do as a kid, we all did them, but come on "Tiggy"....LMAO.

Hell, someone at my school grabbed an X-Ray machine's dispensed part (assuming it was something to do with radiation) from the local hospital.
Dunno why, but this "tiggy" business is nothing compared to radiation.
We used to run up the huge "stormwater drains" just for fun.

So how is "Tiggy" more dangerous than what we used to do??...This litigous affair has to stop.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #21
bungarra

Canning Vale primary school where my kids go, have banned touch footy, running on the artifical grass area (except during sport) no contact sports before or during school.
Kids are only allowed to ride bikes to school, they get reflection aka detention for using scooters, skate boards etc.

Kick a footy or a bit of cricket with your parents and friends before school on the public oval next to the school, you guessed it reflection time!!
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
Canning Vale primary school where my kids go, have banned touch footy, running on the artifical grass area (except during sport) no contact sports before or during school.
Kids are only allowed to ride bikes to school, they get reflection aka detention for using scooters, skate boards etc.

Kick a footy or a bit of cricket with your parents and friends before school on the public oval next to the school, you guessed it reflection time!!
Time to join the P&C and have your voice heard.
Old 23-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra

As you have spelt it with two words I suspect you are in Canning Vale WA not Canningvale QLD.

Well we (QLD) have an election in a couple of months and if we are really lucky the "Death to the nanny state" people will be in power who have a primary policy of removing the nannies from all government departments and changing the law so teachers and schools etc. are protected from random ambulance chasers going in partnership with fleas.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well we (QLD) have an election in a couple of months and if we are really lucky the "Death to the nanny state" people will be in power who have a primary policy of removing the nannies from all government departments and changing the law so teachers and schools etc. are protected from random ambulance chasers going in partnership with fleas.
Good luck with that the new Government (if they win) will simply get caught up in the bureaucracy and little will change. State Ministers are simply figureheads that get on the news, bureaucrats are the ones actually doing things (or mostly not doing things)

NSW had Government change with big promises but really its much of the same old same old.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
quoted from the article
There is the answer. There is a new group in the Australian population that try to scam a quick buck at every opportunity and when ever they can. As a result we all suffer.

I won't name them as I'm sure it is against forum rules....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
The courts should not rule in favour of idiots all the time.
they have to otherwise there will be many laywers and judges waiting around for their dole cheque
couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people though - but alas it will never happen
Old 23-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #27
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the school my older two kids go to actually endorse the kids running around playing tag/chasey etc

the only down fall they have is the amount of sport my daughter has to do in one day ie friday is all sport my poor little chook comes home absolutly buggerd

On another side it would be great for them to call you when your child has an accident at school my daughter broke her arm at morning recess and my wife was not told till about 10 mins before the end of the day

was not a happy camper but hey in all other things the school is great

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
Shouldn't we be letting kids run around? Isn't obesity Australia number one health problem?

We are sending two different messages to kids these days, "Be active" and "just sit there".

Reminds me of the old saying "Hurry up and wait".

Cheers
This is the next round of lawsuits. "My child is fat, it is your fault for not letting them be active"
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
This is the next round of lawsuits. "My child is fat, it is your fault for not letting them be active"
People are already trying to sue fast food companies for obesity....
The legal system is as much to blame for this stuff as anyone... Overly litigious scum solicitors trying to push the boundaries at every chance.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I remember playing bullrush at school, the amount of time kids fell over on the bitumen basketball courts, off playground equipment, etc etc.

**** this country.