Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Mercedes Sprinter Ambulances - break down

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/am...#ixzz2mk8o5pxs

Quote:

Ambulance Victoria is under mounting pressure over worker and patient safety with emerging details of engine failure in one of its vehicles this week, the latest in a spate of fires and faults.

Paramedics abandoned the Mercedes-Benz sprinter vehicle in Frankston on Wednesday when the engine seized amid banging noises and smoke. An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said no patients were on board at the time.

No one was injured.

The incident was the latest in a series that have dogged the Mercedes Euro 4 sprinter, an important part of the ambulance fleet.
Advertisement

Another vehicle was forced off the road in a similar case last month.

In October, Fairfax Media revealed Ambulance Victoria had feared a systemic fault in its Euro4 fleet after a spate of engine failures and fires through late 2011 and 2012.

Documents released under freedom of information revealed that in 2012 the authority had expressed ‘‘grave concerns’’ about its Mercedes sprinters.

But Ambulance Victoria and the Napthine government insist that investigations had since satisfied them that, despite the string of incidents, there was no systematic fault in the fleet.

WorkSafe is investigating the incidents in response to a request from the opposition.On Friday the opposition’s shadow parliamentary secretary for health, Wade Noonan, said: ‘‘I hope it doesn’t take a catastrophic event before the situation regarding our beleaguered ambulance fleet is resolved.

‘‘Rather than side-step or dismiss these problems, [Health] Minister [David] Davis needs to provide an unconditional assurance that these vehicles pose no threat to the safety of paramedics or patients.’’

Ambulance Victoria’s fleet manager Elizabeth Punton confirmed the Wednesday incident.

‘‘While breakdowns occur in any fleet of vehicles, our large fleet of ambulance stretcher vehicles travels 21 million kilometres a year, is extremely reliable, well maintained and safe.’’

A spokesman for Mr Davis said Ambulance Victoria took occupational health and safety seriously, and had ‘‘fine vehicles with high levels of reliability’’.

In October Mercedes-Benz Australian spokesman David McCarthy said there was no problems with Victoria’s fleet.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/am...#ixzz2mmoAi0tU
Having actually worked on these things, its true that they are a POS, our metro fleet are all the 4 cylinder variants and as an unloaded ambulance weighing 3500kg they're slow as anything, let alone loaded up.

The 3L V6 isn't much better either which our rural fleet get.

The Mercedes Sprinter isn't up to the job, which is why we are seeing failures like this.

They should have persisted with the F350 at least they could move their weight without problems and had a bullet proof driveline. I know they stopped being made RHD in 2006 but they could have still done the conversion process like they did with the GMC Ambulances of the 90s through to 2001.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Mercedes Sprinter Ambulances - break down

Hope if I need an Ambulance the engine doesn't seize.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Hope if I need an Ambulance the engine doesn't seize.
Or catch on fire with you in the back, which is another problem.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with all the auto industry in VIC its odd that your state government cant get their financial activity in order.the last public unhappiness was over the navara fire vehicles-NSW got landcruiser and these struggle so how was navara going to do that job. I cant see that the sprinter is the problem-just the way they are opeated or purchased. COMMENT/RAMBLE I like to see left hand drive become available for certain aplications. the cost to Australia far out weigh the B/S risk to safety. I also think the manufacturers are to blame, some how 40 years ago without computors a design team could produce a vehicle that could be converted not only on an assembly line but after assembly. Im far more concered about the safety compromised cutting up a cab and some of the second rate dash constructions I worked on. With the all the electronic crap hidden in the dash the choice of second rate assembled vehicle then chopping it up is going to cost. I repaired a dodge ram that had the heater box taped together and the fan was connected to the demist ducts. the convertor claimed that's all that was required for rego. garbage trucks, street sweepers ,mail fire trucks and emergency ambulances should be allowed left hand drive. cranes and slow moving machinery and vintage cars cope OK with the driver on the kerb side. I must be more dangerous to spend a day driving on the left then swap over to drive home. EXPERIENCE I worked for land rover when they tried to get a deal to build a city 2 x 6 ambulance using holden V8 GM auto and front wheel drive. They looked English/American with the idea being smoother to ride and lots of room for people to work safe. the idea got to concept before NSW chose GMC with the plan to be Indonesian built. that was good for me because the next job we have these towed in regularly because the stupid by design way they are made the vehicle cant be driven for any minor fault...I suspect that the new benz is the same, the older vans my mates tell me that any engine repairs they just swap the mechanicals to be repaired like an exchange system.just the sort of thing you need in the bush. they had sprinters in NSW till recently and did a lot of work for the service with air conditioners and electrics. the inline motor was OK as long as it got good fuel or the fanbelt was was working. The ambulance service over time had sublet out their work [saving costs] and purchased on cheapest tender.####. compared to our owner driver customers these are not that bad. they often would bring vehicles around to get serviced that are spare ambulances that placed in storage around the region to cover break downs. The local station now have VW vans and Subaru impeza support teams. My local 1 man station often has 3 vans and a Subaru. patient transfer vehicles are also in use with our council supply various vehicles for walking wounded. these are sold off reasonable early compared to old days. the RAAF still have low milage F150 351 4X4 that getting driven around to get some milage on it. IDEAS Lots of people call for F series ambulances due to the fact they worked well for 10-20 years without problems but the problem I have come across is dumb things like you cant employ smaller women [or man] to operate these. These days you need to get all the quality staff you can get. I drive a FD hino truck-6 cyl. Long wheel base 10.5 ton GVM. easy to drive and will go fast enough to loose a drivers lience. loaded it runs OK. but the ride too rough for ambo work.the smaller version cab and shorter wheel base but is performance derated..with the 6 cyl they would be cheeper to buy and run.,dual axles with air bags and auto transmisions. proper lift off body. I cant get the word processor to work so see if it makes sence.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post