Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #451
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Haha first problem, everything working OK, turn on my right indicator, works fine for a while then stops, front right not working, everything else working fine, not a blown globe.

Hmm, fun and games begin.

Anyways, light output shots of the low beams:

On the garage for alignment test:

I cable tied my earth to the loom, hopefully its something simple like pulling the cable maybe.

I also think I have the orientation of the drivers side headlight globe wrong, as its got that rainbow effect on that one light.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #452
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Don't get any deers in those spot lights mate...

Just ordered a 24mm swaybar through Pedders this arvo, the motor show made me want to tweak again!

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #453
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Fixed the indicator, was in 180 degrees the wrong way haha.

I've got the 22mm sway bar from Whiteline, haven't installed it though as I need different rear sway bar links, can anyone suggest where to buy them from?

Thanks much.
Old 30-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #454
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Found these ones on eBay Damo, might also pay you to ring around a few auto places as well Repco, Burson's etc... to get an idea on the price from them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITELINE...-/150858460551
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #455
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thanks Russ, ill check out all the auto stores and get prices.

Fixed the indicator, the insert wasn't in properly and when I hit a bump it stopped contacting.

Happy days.

EDIT: **** it, I just bought those ones, cbf chasing up everyone to save like $10 lol, and I've been procrastinating for ages, now I have no excuse.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #456
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Haha, that's exactly my attitude of late, by the time you get the clowns to search for what you're after they either don't have it, never heard of it, or will have to order it in, even then it may well be the wrong part when it arrives Been down that road a few times
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #457
T.M

Yea those are the links I bought, they fit all good. Bit of a **** around to put them on as they are 'adjustable', or maybe it was just me...

Just got an email saying my new eibach/bilstein suspension had arrived in the country, can't be far away now.
T.M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #458
T.M

oh and p.s. I ended up taking a punt and buying the Code:RED chiptuning unit, it's only money after all haha
Will update once it arrives and have had a chance to try it out.
Old 31-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #459
T.M

and p.p.s I fitted the K&N apollo on the weekend, havent been able to find any way to fit the cold air hose that won't just be sucking **** up so just rolling with no hose at the moment. The noise from the turbo now is hilariously awesome
Old 31-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #460
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Haha which shocks did you get? I've got eibach prokit ones but with factory shocks.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #461
T.M

Yea they're the springs I got as well. The shockies are the Bilstein B8s, should be a hoot, supposed to compliment the eibach springs pretty well anyway
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #462
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Alright sweet where did you order yours from? European Parts?

Also what setting do you have your swaybar on? I'm thinking about putting mine on the hardest setting when the links come, but on the XR5 Forums they said it can bring in some dangerous oversteer very easily.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #463
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Whoo hoo my links are in, booyah.

Hopefully get them booked in this Friday and get my bar done.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #464
T.M

I just got the 22mm non-adjustable one, but if I did it again I would probably have got the 24mm one. I suppose it all depends on how you like to drive.

They suggest you start on the softest setting on the adjustable ones but even on the hardest one I would think you would need to be pushing pretty hard to make it come unstuck to the point of it being dangerous. The sway bars are designed for road cars after all
Old 08-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #465
zoots
Starter Motor

Just took delivery of my LW Mk2 TDCI but I am noticing a fair bit of vibration coming from the steering wheel, seat and brake whilst the car is stopped and idling in gear (ie. stopped in traffic). I can even feel the vibrations through the head rest as well. Also the vibrations seem to get stronger once the car is warm. It seems to vibrate through 750 - 1250rpm.

Apart from that the car drives really well.

Now I know Diesels tend to vibrate more than petrol; I just wanted to know your experiences of how much vibration is felt when stopped in gear? I don't remember the test drive car being like this or I probably would not have gotten a diesel.
zoots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #466
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My car shakes every few seconds on hot days idling like a missfire. In a manual not in gear.

Around 1000rpm it shakes the whole car like a constant missfire.

Car runs like crap in anything above 25 degree heat as well, sometimes real laggy throttle, takes a good few seconds to respond to accelerator, sometimes loss of power in any temperature.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #467
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well at least we know it is not a bad spark plug! All the easy and cheap fixes have now been dismissed.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #468
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
well at least we know it is not a bad spark plug! All the easy and cheap fixes have now been dismissed.
Haha, I reckon mine might have a minor boost leak or something somewhere, because it can run real good sometimes or other times like a 1 legged dog. Maybe tiny split intercooler hose or something, its only made out of this rubber crap like a radiator hose.

When the Falcon gets on the road, the Focus is coming off for some work.

I've got an Airtec Gen 3 intercooler and a 22mm whiteline rear swaybar sitting here waiting to go on.

Then it will most likely get a turbo back exhaust and a dyno tune, hopefully they can fix the accelerator response with a tune.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 09-12-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #469
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

With the diesel shortage here in Victoria, I've been filling up when I get down to 3/4 of a tank just in case, put in 17L today, did 330km with Aircon going and my tools in the back all the time, 5.15L/100km

Average speed 60km/h.
Old 23-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #470
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Booyah just ordered the Bilstein B8 dampers from European Parts.

So now I've got my shocks, rear sway bar and new rear sway links sitting here ready to go on, they will go on at 50,000km service.

Which is only 4000km away.

Next:

Turbo back exhaust, Airtec Gen 3 fitment and tune, coming April.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #471
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So, I've had my Airtec Gen 3, sway bar and Bilstein B8s fitted for ages now and I didn't update this thread. The handling mods completely transform the car, no body roll now.

Thought I'd drop some of the new kit I got coming over for the Focus from the UK at the moment:

Factory Garrett GT1749 which has been reconditioned with machined compressor housing fitted with new 56mm billet compressor wheel, ceramic coated exhaust housing and a cut back machined turbine.

I've also got a DevilsOwn DVC-30 progressive water/methanol injection kit and the car is currenty in at Sharps Exhaust in Sunbury getting a turbo back exhaust made up and all the boost pipes being made up in stainless.

We're finally chasing down that tune as well, and I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted darkest legal.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #472
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did you get the Garret from ...and what was the cost if you don't mind that question.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #473
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Where did you get the Garret from ...and what was the cost if you don't mind that question.

TDi Turbos in the UK built it for me (you can find them on the nosmokenopoke forums), it cost me about $1700 and I just got hit with another $306 in import taxes and charges, so around $2K all up for it but I got mine ceramic coated which was pretty expensive, a few hundred just to have that done.

Car has to be remapped when this is fitted, so its not just a case of chuck it on and we're all sweet.
Old 14-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #474
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The exhaust tip is a bit obnoxious, would have preferred just a downwards facing regular pipe but the rest of it is good, its not overly loud either.
Old 14-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #475
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought there was a limit to the extra fuel you could get out of stock TDCI injectors which may limit your extra HP here?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #476
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
I thought there was a limit to the extra fuel you could get out of stock TDCI injectors which may limit your extra HP here?
There is, which is why I have a water/methanol injection kit just to give me that little bit of extra fuel.

Except I only want it to come in at high boost levels or WOT for example, so I'm not burning through the 900ml tank that I have for it when I'm just cruising on the highway.

Even without the meth kit there should be enough room left in the injectors to get her moving along a bit quicker but we're probably not going to break 130KW @ the wheels.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-11-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 15-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #477
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much torque do you think you will have?
Old 15-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #478
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
How much torque do you think you will have?
I'm hoping for around 380nm at the wheels between 2000-3000 RPM, thats my main concern is fattening up that mid range torque as thats where you spend 90% of your time when you're daily driving.

I guess if we can push into the 400s we're going to come across problems with clutch slipping or killing the dual mass flywheel, so we're going to find out, I don't think many people have done this sort of work to small Euro diesel cars here in Australia.

Learning experience for all.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 15-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #479
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you reckon it will be quicker from a standing start ie first second gear -you know how slow they are in gear one.

Or will you have be gentle from take off and boot it in gears 3-6....to save your clutch etc.
Old 15-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #480
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Do you reckon it will be quicker from a standing start ie first second gear -you know how slow they are in gear one.

Or will you have be gentle from take off and boot it in gears 3-6....to save your clutch etc.
1st/2nd/3rd are all torque limited, which is why the car feels faster in 4th gear than the first 3

I've seen elsewhere that the ECU is programmed to limit torque to 180nm in 1st and 240nm in 2nd/3rd.

Have you guys noticed if you're giving it some, you won't get torque steer in those first 3 gears, but you might get some in 4th if you're going for it?

I'll see if they can tune it out, so I can get everything from the first 3 gears.