Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #301
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Having looked under the bonnet and the pictures on the instructions for my cold air intake, it looks like it was designed for an earlier model Focus as mine is different:

Turbodiesel, was that similar to yours?

I got my springs and intake in my boot, waiting on the swaybar, links and camber kit to arrive, then waiting on the cooler then I'll take her into the exhaust shop to see what they can do for me.

Also, anyone here with an LV XR5/RS, can you post a picture of your airbox/intake, are they the same as the TDCI ones?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #302
Turbodiesel
Torquer

That looks exactly the same as mine Damo, you shouldn't have any problems

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #303
ConradP

Looks the same as a non turbo one as well, besides where the pipe comes from and the futuristic electronical device attached to it.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #304
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Nah XR5 is different, it sits infront of the intake manifold in a box containing the ECU.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #305
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Hey guys, are the Eibach pro kit springs matched to the factory shock absorbers? Apparently you screw your shocks if springs aren't matched?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #306
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I've read that the Eibach springs are match to the factory dampers, but my experience was that after two years, my front shocks were starting to give up, which is how I ended up with matched Koni springs / shocks.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #307
Chicka

Wink Re: TDCI Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'll give the second thing a go tomorrow when i'm out and about.

Also I picked up the oil for my service, I got "LiquiMoly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL | 5W-30"

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/motor-oil/

Says on the bottle for EU Fiesta/Focus etc.

I got a 5L and 1L bottle for the service.
Gooday mate...long time no talk..After checking out the LiquiMoly site, I have taken your lead and purchased 6 litres of the 5w-30w Special. I also tried the LiquiMoly Anti-Knock Fuel Treatment...Wow, this stuff is sensational! Car is so much smoother and quieter..and feels like its gotta another 10 kilowatts under the hood...one can treats up to 70 litres.I highly recommend this product..Couln't believe the difference it made!!!! Avabigwun....Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #308
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looked up that Liquid Moly anti knock stuff for diesels. What do you do just tip it in the fuel tank. How long does it work for?
My TDCI smokes a bit under throttle doee it help?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #309
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicka
Gooday mate...long time no talk..After checking out the LiquiMoly site, I have taken your lead and purchased 6 litres of the 5w-30w Special. I also tried the LiquiMoly Anti-Knock Fuel Treatment...Wow, this stuff is sensational! Car is so much smoother and quieter..and feels like its gotta another 10 kilowatts under the hood...one can treats up to 70 litres.I highly recommend this product..Couln't believe the difference it made!!!! Avabigwun....Chicka
Welcome!

Interesting, never really thought much of fuel aditives might have to give it a shot.

Hopefully all the gear arrives tomorrow at work, then I'll have the springs and everything else put in, she's going in for a wheel alignment afterwards and probably some new decent tyres as well.
Old 14-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #310
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I used Liqui-Moly cetane booster when I went to Marulan, normally my car smokes but watching the video from the car behind it didn't blow out anything.

Could have been because of that or maybe it had already been cleaned out by the constant full throttle.

Car was stock then but it went really well.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 17-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #311
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Got my sway bar, adjustable camber kit and link kit.

How hard is the sway bar to do yourself? Anyone here done it before and any steps to guide me through?

Thanks much.
Old 18-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #312
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Damo, mine was a DIY job. It wasn't too difficult at all. Someone did a great writeup on the XR5 turbo forums, complete with good photos and I found that really helped. I don't have the link bookmarked anymore but a search over on those forums should bring it up.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #313
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Larger turbo downpipe and hi-flow cat going on next week!

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 18-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #314
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Larger turbo downpipe and hi-flow cat going on next week!
Keep us updated on how it goes and sounds very interested.

I noticed my TDCI blows out a big cloud of black smoke under full throttle for a good second, then it stops. It was also running a tad rough at idle today, might be the hot weather, was about 35 degrees idling with the AC on and the needle was hoving up and down near 900 or thereabouts and it was shaking the car every now and again.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #315
bbuzz
Starter Motor

I have a 2008 6 speed manual TDCi, white.
It blows smoke from 100 kmh to 110 kmh and not much pedal. Possible overfueling but I need to find a diesel shop on the Central Coast who can diagnose it (not e Fraud Stealer).
I have replaced both rear calipers and they leaked. Wyong dealer cannot do up the nuts tight either so back for another leak!
I had a water leak in the rear hatch that caused a nightmare of mould growth. Dealer said no problems but the nuts on the hatch door had paint taken off them.
Why can't they admit there is a problem?
Now having a discussion with a Sydney dealer about a rust spot caused by OME bonnet fitting.
Dealers!!
How does it go? Like someone has stolen it...
All the other comments about the torque, the pulling power in 6th, good handling, low consumption (5.5 to 5.8L@100-not by the computer meter) makes it one of the more exciting cars I have driven.
I use diesel fuel treatment (in the yellow bottle) and Penrite oil 5-50w and I do services every 8,000 kms not the 10,000 they recommend.
Done 28,000 kms now (been away for a while so no driving) ad still happy.

Bill
bbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #316
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You might be out of warranty now. The hatchbacks have faults leaking water through the rear. I had the rust in there fixed under warranty. Have a look under the faults Focus thread at the top of all these threads and you will see what other owners have done.
They all seem to smoke under certain load _I like pressing the throttle down for smoke effect when I have a tailgater -they back off after teh diesel smoke stench filters through their air con vents.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #317
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone else here find the aircon sort of average? It was a 35 degree day on Friday and with it on for a good hour to 1 hour 20 mins it only gets the car "cool", not "cold"? Its not as crappy as my WS Fiesta, but its not great either.
Old 20-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #318
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Anyone else here find the aircon sort of average? It was a 35 degree day on Friday and with it on for a good hour to 1 hour 20 mins it only gets the car "cool", not "cold"? Its not as crappy as my WS Fiesta, but its not great either.
I find mine not too bad but it's far from freezing. My understanding is that most car airconditioning units are only designed to keep the temp inside the car around 10 deg cooler than the outside temp. Window tint will also help keep the inside temp of the car down and is beneficial to the air con operation as well. If you don't already have window tint it something to consider
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #319
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
I find mine not too bad but it's far from freezing. My understanding is that most car airconditioning units are only designed to keep the temp inside the car around 10 deg cooler than the outside temp. Window tint will also help keep the inside temp of the car down and is beneficial to the air con operation as well. If you don't already have window tint it something to consider
How much is it roughly for darkest legal? I assume a few of you guys here would have tint on your cars?
Old 20-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #320
ConradP

Depends on where you go but you'd be looking at a few hundred, I got mine done when I got the car through the dealer so not too sure.
Old 20-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #321
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Around $250 for a decent job. I've never owned a car without tint, it's a must have for me.

Just make sure you check it afterwards, some installers seem to think bubbles are normal.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 20-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #322
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm probably going to go through tint a car in Sunbury, I'm going to ring up for a quote tomorrow.

They've got two tints there, Octane and Midnight Express? Whats the difference?

So far I've amassed:

- Eibach pro-kit springs
- 22mm Whiteline adjustable rear swaybar and assorted camber kit and links
- Code:RED CAI

Now, I'm thinking about changing the OEM tyres out for some Continental's and looking at the intercooler and high flow cat.

I'm going to collect everything, then i think it'd be better to have everything done at once, only one labor cost then.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #323
Chicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Just looked up that Liquid Moly anti knock stuff for diesels. What do you do just tip it in the fuel tank. How long does it work for?
My TDCI smokes a bit under throttle doee it help?
Gooday...Yep, Just pour a container into your tank when filling up,and away ya go.....Liqui-Moly recommend using every 5000kms.....Great Stuff!!! Chicka
Old 22-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #324
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone know if Mazda 3 stuff is interchangable with our Focus?
Old 22-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #325
ConradP

Quote:
Anyone know if Mazda 3 stuff is interchangable with our Focus?
Some should be, not 100% on what though, like xforce make an exhaust for the 3, but not the focus, they can be used on either though. just look into whatever you're after i guess.
Old 23-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #326
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Well the downpipe and cat are now done and are free-flowing.

First impressions:
The car wasn't loud enough with the stock cat and straight pipe but I can safely say that is no longer a problem. With all the whistling and air blowing it sort of sounds like I'm driving Darth Vader on steroids

Can't really test the performance much in this rain but it feels even more responsive and torquey than before.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 24-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #327
Chicka

Angry Re: TDCI Focus

Quote:

First impressions:
The car wasn't loud enough with the stock cat and straight pipe but I can safely say that is no longer a problem. With all the whistling and air blowing it sort of sounds like I'm driving Darth Vader on steroids

Can't really test the performance much in this rain but it feels even more responsive and torquey than before.
Goodonya mate...sounds great..
Just watch that torque though ! I have just had to shell out $ 503.00 for 3 x Engine mounts for my 2007 TDCI...plus fitting costs..(43,000 kms)Pretty RS I reckon, only 6 months out of warranty. Maybe, the torque of the TDCI is too much for them to handle...Only know ...I ain't happy!!!! All the best
Chicka
Old 24-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #328
rand0mn00b

the mazda 3 MPS which is a close-ish relative to the focus also has engine mounts going early. not sure if it's a common problem for the XR5
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #329
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They probably use soft mounts to lessen the vibration at the expense of length of serviceable life. Its the sort of thing they will not see as a "problem"
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #330
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

First impressions:

How much did it cost?

I find the turbo in my car very quiet, sometimes you can hear it with the window down and giving it a bit of curry, slight whoosing noise.

Also does anyone think the OEM goodyear NCT 5 tyres are completely rubbish? They don't grip real well and they squeal fairly easily. Not only that but it doesn't take much to spin them, even in torque limited 1st gear, taking off with 1/4 throttle will see the front right spin.

Also I'm finding the brakes on my car, they're not too great, you push the pedal down, get the whole leaning forward in your seat thing, but you don't come to a stop quickly, it seems to nose dive but not really stop, I guess it could also be the tyres affecting braking distance too. My WS Fiesta stops much better, but that might be because its a very light car.