Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
SSbaby
Banned

Default Ford halts work on 6.2L 'Hurricane' engine

Read it here...

http://ls1-australia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127
Old 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the bit that im looking forward to:

"Ford is also developing an all-aluminum 6.4-liter V-10 engine that produces 605 horsepower. Featured in the Shelby GR-1 concept car that debuted at the Detroit Auto Show, it's lighter than the 550-horsepower supercharged V-8 engine that powers the 2005 Ford GT"

ahhh DK you will finally get your V10.... :
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
SSbaby
Banned

Let's hope that Ford/FPV respond to HSV's LS7 7.0L challenge!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #4
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
not in this country they wont.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i wont be holding my breath on that one!!! unfortunately
Old 08-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I can't see these big engines staying around too long, they will be a short term (10 years maybe?) toy. I just can't see an economic case for them, it's not as if they sell in significant numbers here in Australia.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You have to be kidding. We dont need bigger engines. The boss 5.4 will be fine. As if ford would bring over a POS that cant be developed and refined?

Seriously, you dont need cubes to make power, its easier yes; but where is the advancement? Isn't that what engineering companies are all about?

Holden can have their 7.0...doesn't phase me in the least.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I can't see these big engines staying around too long, they will be a short term (10 years maybe?) toy. I just can't see an economic case for them, it's not as if they sell in significant numbers here in Australia.

If your comment rings true then the 4WDs will be first to go (IMO). out:
Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
And that would be a good thing for our roads.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
HSE2

The concern with this is that it does go against the industry trend. Ford have effectively sat on there hands to the point that a market like Aust has to construct an engine for performance applications.

Merc is heading towards large displacement, BMW engines are slowly growing. It is a myth that large displacement is inefficient. Even the smaller cars have engines that are slowly growing. What started as 1.3 litres are now 1.8 litre units.

A 7 litre engine isn't a concern. Like the V10 it’s a specialty donk used in high end cars that don't sell in volume. However the implication on cooking variants of Modular progression could have far more repercussions for our country. We can’t afford to go into the next generation of Falcon with out a crate motor that is competitive with LS2 variants
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
HSE2

Quote:
How do you work that out? The majority of engines in modern 4WDs can be found in car applications. You don't really need to go further then our own Ford and Holden products to realise the engines are used over a wide range of products.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 08-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
How do you work that out? The majority of engines in modern 4WDs can be found in car applications. You don't really need to go further then our own Ford and Holden products to realise the engines are used over a wide range of products.
You're right, my comment is just as silly as the big engines comment? How do you work that out?

Who says that big engines use more fuel than small engines hauling similar mass? That's a misconception that most people have... but have never owned such vehicles.

I've never had a problem with fuel consumption with my V8, I reckon it's probably better than a lot of 6s. Most Ford/Holden V8 owners would tell you similar stories.

OT: BTW, the LS7 puts out as much torque as the BMW V10's peak figure (@5500rpm) at only 1600rpm! That would say a lot about relative fuel consumption figures.

Last edited by SSbaby; 08-02-2005 at 02:55 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
HSE2

Quote:
You're right, my comment is just as silly as the big engines comment? How do you work that out?
I can't- I said it was a myth.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You refering to my 'big engine' comment???

Tell me WHY we NEED engines beyond say 5 ltrs???? I believe it's incorrect to suggest that these large displacement engines will be common place in Australia, especially if the development of them in the US slows. (Refering to FORD). There will be no money in it and if this happens the bean counter will take further control and the V8 performance briggade will be doomed... FPV are already trying to head down a different path, maybe they are trying to tell us something???
Old 08-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
You refering to my 'big engine' comment???

Tell me WHY we NEED engines beyond say 5 ltrs???? I believe it's incorrect to suggest that these large displacement engines will be common place in Australia, especially if the development of them in the US slows. (Refering to FORD). There will be no money in it and if this happens the bean counter will take further control and the V8 performance briggade will be doomed... FPV are already trying to head down a different path, maybe they are trying to tell us something???
Tell me why we need forced induction? Err, the performance market is there? _2: It's easier as well as cheaper for a manufacturer to extract performance from bigger engines. Not forgetting, the LS7 is exactly the same size and lighter in weight than the LS2. so your point is?

Why do I end up getting involved in these discussions? _

Last edited by SSbaby; 08-02-2005 at 03:43 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #16
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tell me why we need forced induction? Err, the performance market is there? _2: It's easier as well as cheaper for a manufacturer to extract performance from bigger engines. Not forgetting, the LS7 is exactly the same size and lighter in weight than the LS2. so your point is?

Why do I end up getting involved in these discussions? _
Because we love debating

In realistic terms, both you and I know that there is no REAL NEED for either large displacement or forced induction on the roads... just look at the blatent revenue raising tactics used by our governments.. But because there IS a market, it's obvious the manufacturers will take advantage of that, but who really controls the market...?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #17
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Because we love debating

In realistic terms, both you and I know that there is no REAL NEED for either large displacement or forced induction on the roads... just look at the blatent revenue raising tactics used by our governments.. But because there IS a market, it's obvious the manufacturers will take advantage of that, but who really controls the market...?
Ahh but why are you here if you are a performance car fan? Of course we don't NEED... we WANT!

Market is really the environment under which the laws of supply and demand are exercised.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 PM   #18
HSE2

Way to end a conversation Chris.

You can't argue with that nasty word NEED. That’s like the 3 requirements to sustain life. Basic un-emotional stuff. You are either an imposter or time has jaded you greatly my friend.

Last edited by HSE2; 08-02-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Ian

Yes it was an easy way out mate....

My passion is alive and well regarding Ford, but i do realise that at some stage there will be a time where a lid will be put on things locally.. however i don't see this as performance motoring coming to an end, it will just require a different way to achieve the same result.

I, like anybody else on this board want to see Aussie motoring evolve into something better every year... if they can get away with larger displacement engines in the short term, then i'm all for it... i'm just preparing myself for the day things get stepped on, whether it be from external economic pressures or anything else.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I wonder if that motor would fit in my billy cart!!! :dr_Evil:
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post