Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-01-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
scorpio39

Question Thai built Focus quality issues.

Been reading about the quality issues and only a 3 year warranty with the Thai built Focus.
I was wondering whether the components used are sourced from local manufactures or are imported from China ?
If it's China, it may explain the quality issues and the 3 year warranty !!

scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
yuruga

Default Re: Thai built Focus quality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio39 View Post
Been reading about the quality issues and only a 3 year warranty with the Thai built Focus.
I was wondering whether the components used are sourced from local manufactures or are imported from China ?
If it's China, it may explain the quality issues and the 3 year warranty !!
Hi

What Quality issues are there?

I have one of the First lot of LW2 Thai Focus's Sport with 45K now on the clock.

It is manual - has gone from service to service (all 3 15K ones) no issues. - It does have slight rattles from vents when the are set to the extreme. Hasn't even used its first brake pads yet and I should get to at least 65K on the OEM tyres. For a car nearly 1.5 years old is in far better shape than my FG Falcon was at the same period.
Air Con works on Very hot days we had here in VIC. All electrics work as expected. Approx 6.9 l/100 (Petrol) and 700Ks from a tank (fill it when DTE almost 10km to go)

So the only quality thing I assume you would be referring to maybe is the Auto. I have a dinosaur way thinking Autos of any sort should never be fitted to any small non exotic 4 - hence my manual.

As a buyer of cars every 3 or so years, I would based on this car, buy another Ford. (Based on my previous FG - probably not)
yuruga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All of the Thai built LWs I've seen have been as good as the German made vehicles.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
scorpio39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuruga View Post
Hi

What Quality issues are there?

I have one of the First lot of LW2 Thai Focus's Sport with 45K now on the clock.

It is manual - has gone from service to service (all 3 15K ones) no issues. - It does have slight rattles from vents when the are set to the extreme. Hasn't even used its first brake pads yet and I should get to at least 65K on the OEM tyres. For a car nearly 1.5 years old is in far better shape than my FG Falcon was at the same period.
Air Con works on Very hot days we had here in VIC. All electrics work as expected. Approx 6.9 l/100 (Petrol) and 700Ks from a tank (fill it when DTE almost 10km to go)

So the only quality thing I assume you would be referring to maybe is the Auto. I have a dinosaur way thinking Autos of any sort should never be fitted to any small non exotic 4 - hence my manual.

As a buyer of cars every 3 or so years, I would based on this car, buy another Ford. (Based on my previous FG - probably not)
Quality issues are documented at "Focus Product Review".
Glad to learn you guys are happy so far.
If you change your car every 3 years, that's ok.
But when the warranty runs out ?
I expect a modern day car to be reliable for more than 3 years
Last year I drove a Focus hire car in the UK.
It was the 3 cylinder 900cc eco boost, manual and was impressed.
On it's return I asked the Hire company did they experience any problems.
They replied there were a few, but did not comment further.
Old 30-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Sport and its built quality is better than my previous VW. Thai spec build is very good.

Quote:
If you change your car every 3 years, that's ok.
But when the warranty runs out ?
But when the warranty runs out? You mean like when warranty runs out for Holden, Toyota, VW, Honda, Nissan, Mazda..
If it is a problem there is always extended warranty through Ford

Quote:
Last year I drove a Focus hire car in the UK.
It was the 3 cylinder 900cc eco boost, manual and was impressed.
On it's return I asked the Hire company did they experience any problems.
They replied there were a few, but did not comment further
We don't have this engine so it wouldn't be similar to what Australia has to offer
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
scorpio39

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
I have a Sport and its built quality is better than my previous VW. Thai spec build is very good.

But when the warranty runs out? You mean like when warranty runs out for Holden, Toyota, VW, Honda, Nissan, Mazda..
If it is a problem there is always extended warranty through Ford

We don't have this engine so it wouldn't be similar to what Australia has to offer
Below from Product review and 45% of the reviewers gave them the thumbs down.
With reviews like them, I would expect them to be made in China. Have you ignored their reviews ?

Hi guys , just a quick word on my experience buying my wife's 2013 focus 2 Ltr 5 speed manual
1. What waste of money
2. What a disappoint especially when trying to get things fixed on warranty.
3. I Learnt how to tell when ford service people are misleading - its whenever thier lips are moving!
4. I'm a qualified mechanic,the rubbish they try to tell me is amazing,this car has issues that was not on the demo car EG- hesitation on acceleration, noisy wiper operation, transmission noise at 110 Kph and lots more. The car comes out of the workshop with a report saying all is fixed however all is still the same, so much for warranty I've been a ford man all my life however it's time to look elsewhere. I could fix things myself but I know ford have software issues that are unfixable at the moment and I don't have access to those ford only programs
5. WELL DONE FORD ! Keep up the good work.
Old 30-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
scorpio39

I rest my case !!!
Old 31-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't use product review? Why would I?

I don't understand your point to this thread? Are you saying you are having issues with your car?
Old 31-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
scorpio39

Wink Re: Thai built Focus quality issues.

[QUOTE=barra240t;5008583]I don't use product review?

Why would I? , Why don't you ?? You need to !!!!

It prevents me purchasing a lemon !!!!
I read several newspapers in case I miss something !!!!..
I like to be fully informed !!!!

I'm in the market for a new car but the reviews on Product Review have put me off !!!!
As it should for many others !!!

I am still interested if Ford are using Chinese parts.
IMO, the Thai's are where the Korean's were 20 years ago !!!!
The only way to go is up !!!!!
Old 31-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's quite the use of exclamation marks.

Tell me what is on top of your list at the moment to buy..

Do you know what other vehicles are made in Thailand?
Old 31-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=scorpio39;5008644]
Quote:
I don't use product review?

Why would I? , Why don't you ?? You need to !!!!

It prevents me purchasing a lemon !!!!
I read several newspapers in case I miss something !!!!..
I like to be fully informed !!!!

I'm in the market for a new car but the reviews on Product Review have put me off !!!!
As it should for many others !!!

I am still interested if Ford are using Chinese parts.
IMO, the Thai's are where the Korean's were 20 years ago !!!!
The only way to go is up !!!!!

The This are building a ford europe designed and engineered vehicle. the Koreans were building korean designed and engineered cars 20 years ago.
chalk and cheese.

Be careful about reviews. reading the one you quote doesnt really tell me anything is wrong other than expectation. He bought a cheap car (yes they are cheap) and complains about quality. he did not mention breakdowns or failures just noises. Could be him driving at 100Kms an hour in second no wonder it makes anoise or a gutter has been hit causing wheelbearing damage, I could go in with conjecture much like the reviewer. reviews with facts are worth taking note of!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
scorpio39

Quote:
That's quite the use of exclamation marks.

Tell me what is on top of your list at the moment to buy..

Do you know what other vehicles are made in Thailand?
On my list to buy are the i30 and the corolla.
IMO the car to buy would be the Golf, but IMO too pricey.
The Focus hire car I drove in the UK, was great.
The best looking and nice interior.
But with the quality issues I discounted it.
Old 31-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They make Hondas in Thialand cannot be worse than the south african built Focus but they also make C class Mercedes in South Africa so it is not merely a question of where it is made.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
Fishman

Scorpio, it almost feels like you're trolling for an argument. Having said that I agree with jpblue. If a review isn't backed up with a fact, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

In your example, he really only had two issues, value for money, which is subjective anyway, and he had issues with a service dept. They mention noises, but is anything broken? Compared to my Mondeo, I can hear the gearbox, but it's hardly intrusive.

As for components being made in China, I have no idea.
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let Scorpio speak as I find this quite fun
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
scorpio39

Talking Re: Thai built Focus quality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Scorpio, it almost feels like you're trolling for an argument. Having said that I agree with jpblue. If a review isn't backed up with a fact, you need to take it with a grain of salt.

In your example, he really only had two issues, value for money, which is subjective anyway, and he had issues with a service dept. They mention noises, but is anything broken? Compared to my Mondeo, I can hear the gearbox, but it's hardly intrusive.

As for components being made in China, I have no idea.
So experiencing problems in a new 2013 vehicle, which the service department can't remedy is NOT a problem !!!!
The writer also is a mechanic !!!
Not a big deal, eh ??
Some people are easily pleased !!!

I published only one of many complaints on Product Review.
Have you read them all ? It appears not !!!
To be fair 55% of the reviewers thought the car was good or reasonable.
Those percentages and complaints did not convince me to lay out my "
hard earned" on one.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv'e always been a Falcon owner and still am, but we bought a new manual petrol LW last year and it has surprised me how well it does every thing, the only thing it lacks is the torque of the Falcon. I'm sure the diesel would have would of given me the torque that I'm used to. Very happy with build quality for a cheap car. Not that it matters I'm a mechanic.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #18
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
So experiencing problems in a new 2013 vehicle, which the service department can't remedy is NOT a problem !!!!
The writer also is a mechanic !!!
Not a big deal, eh ??
Some people are easily pleased !!!

I published only one of many complaints on Product Review.
Have you read them all ? It appears not !!!
To be fair 55% of the reviewers thought the car was good or reasonable.
Those percentages and complaints did not convince me to lay out my "
hard earned" on one.
In my experience, the problem is very few people jump online to outright praise the stuff they buy. For example there's a very long thread in the Focus section 're: transmission issues, but no equivalent 'how awesome is the new Focus' thread with nearly as much involvement from people. I know one could argue this means there are very few people that are happy with their cars, but I think it's human nature to complain, but not praise, loudly.

The build quality on my wife's Thai Focus is on par with my German Fiesta (at least to the naked eye) She had an issue with the transmission which was repaired quickly. The rest of the car has been great.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread sounds awfully like your not willing to listen to people praising the Focus from their own experiences. If you are that turned off by the car dont buy it. Simple.
But note that nearly every single new car will have issues. No matter what brand. A friend of mine bought a brand new top of the line Hyundai I30. Within 2000 kms it had gone to limp mode twice with water getting into the crank angle sensor, and then they found a major oil leak in the engine. The engine was replaced.

Your best bet is to read and work out the common faults, and weigh that against peoples personal good experiences with the focus rather than smash this forum with arguments that the car is rubbish.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #20
Fishman

Scorpio I don't know where you get your numbers from, 73 of 102 rated it good or excellent..

Reading some of the reviews however there are more negative than positive ones. I suspect that's down to the fact that people use the internet to whinge about things more often than to sing the praises.

Whether you use product review or not in your car buying purchase is your prerogative, but let me give you my thoughts on my Focus.

I have a 2012 Sport diesel with the powershift box. I use it for a hwy run to and from work 5 days a week. That works out to be a bees willy short of 500klm per week plus some small run around stuff on the weekend. The powershift is a massive improvement from the Mondeo we have. It's quick, comfortable and economical. I have had no real issues with the electronics in the car. Radio reception is fine (prob better than my old BF).

I read the forums before I bought and noted that the powershift on the petrol models could be a hit and miss affair. I could discount this as I was in the market for a diesel. IMO a forums give a better representation of issues and potential solutions or causes.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #21
Fishman

Forgot to also say, would I recommend one? YES. I would also give one caveat. Be careful of the petrol powershift.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
scorpio39

I admit many Focus owners have not experienced problems ,so far and are happy with their purchase !!!
But what of all those that have experienced issues in the 1st year ??. And there is a large percentage.
What can they expect when the warranty runs out ?

May I use an analogy ?
Most Pit bull owners love their dogs and won't have a bad word said against them.
But many would disagree !!!

My wish is for the prospective purchasers to benefit from all the views and discussions , thus enabling them to make an informed decision.

So far my major disappointment has been the question if Ford are using Chinese components !!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the old Chinese component debate, always a hot topic when buying a vehicle. Maybe just stick to public transport for now until you figure out what to do?!!!
4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guarantee that all cars have some sort of chinese component in them. Everything you own has probably has chinese components in them.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #25
scorpio39

I guarantee that all cars have some sort of chinese component in them.

Would you purchase a Chinese car ?
My information is they are not a prime example of precision Chinese engineering.
" It is difficult to make strawberry jam out of pig s***"!!
and " and the placing a cherry on top of a t**d ", it's still a t**d !!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My information is they are not a prime example of precision Chinese engineering.
What do you drive currently?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #27
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The chinese can manufacture world class machines, equipment and goods. They are one of only a few countries with a space programe.
But.
the price most of the worlds consumers are prepared to pay for goods doesnt attract their 'A' game manufacturers and technology.
Taiwan is now a world leader in carbon fibre after the world outsourced their Cf manufacturing there china will be the same.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No, i wouldn't buy a Chinese car. You are right, they are rubbish. At the moment anyway. All car manufacturers source parts that are not necessarily their own, i.e a door hinge on a Ford Focus that came from lets say China on a mass assembly line. Something like that would not make me turn away from buying a car.

I'd say your better off building your own car. Its the only way you have a chance of getting away from Chinese Components. Even then though, you'll buy a stereo for it, and some small component would have come from China.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #29
scorpio39

Quote:
What do you drive currently?
Au Falcon with factory gas (159k)
Have replaced the gas converter and steering rack.
Been a good car for me !!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #30
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is low milage for an AU. valve seals usually go about 200k or 8 years and they start smoking but otherwise they go forever! Had one with 350K on gas same auto trans and steering rack second converter though.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post