Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
sean Wenden

Red face AU futura audio options

help!!
I am looking at "improving"the standard radio in my AU futura wagon. I have the unit that can attach the stacker to and the sort of things I am looking at is either installing the stacker (anybody got one?) or an in dash unit (standard ford unit) the only thing that i'd like to do is still use the steering wheel switchs if possible. Can I fit an after market unit and still use the switchs on the steering wheel?

thanks guys

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Clarion make a head unit that is compatible with the switches on the steering wheel - not sure what model number though, so you would have to do your own research.

You can also buy an aftermarket unit from autobarn (and probably plenty of other audio retailers) that uses the steering wheel controls to interface with just about any non-standard head unit that has remote control.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Your options pretty much suck if you are determined to stay stock, the factory headunit is not real good, and to purchase the factory stacker is quite expensive.

My opinion is you should buy an aftermarket headunit (with MP3 capability and a remote control). You'll get better quality sound and more features than the stock HU, you can fit about 200 songs on a single CD in MP3 format (no need for a stacker) and you've got a remote control, most of which can be clipped onto the steering wheel (or god forbid handed over to the kids)

Panda
Old 28-12-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I know Stinger make something that allows Pioneer headunits to use the factory steering wheel controls.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post