Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: What have you done to your Focus today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
At least you can change without pulling the fuel tank out!

Sounds like no fun at all. I think it would be the same with Focus - pull the tank out and replace the whole unit. Sounds expensive, and probably not something that I'd want to tackle.

I don't know if its any different with the King Springs, but when I had Eibach springs on my car, and no camber kit, I had increased inner wear on my tyres. So when I had the Koni kit fitted, I made sure the Whiteline camber kit went on too - not from a handling perspective, but more so just to look after my rear tyres / prolong tyre life.
Out of curiosity, flip the rear seats up in the back, is there an access hatch under the seats?

If there is, that will be how you access the fuel sender to replace the filter.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I'll check it out Damo
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #33
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
I don't know if its any different with the King Springs, but when I had Eibach springs on my car, and no camber kit, I had increased inner wear on my tyres. So when I had the Koni kit fitted, I made sure the Whiteline camber kit went on too - not from a handling perspective, but more so just to look after my rear tyres / prolong tyre life.
Thanks DZ, yeah I first noticed a bit of feathering on the inside but it's obviously got progressively worse so much so that the inner edge is worn quite badly on the 2 tyres on the front, I'm pretty sure my local Ford service centre probably told the apprentice to change the rims from the back to the front but considering the wear it wasn't the right thing to do, and there was no mention of it on the paperwork either. I just didn't realise the camber was out so much
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Could someone please confirm if this is the correct camber kit to use

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KCA394

Thanks in advance
Old 31-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #35
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

That's the one
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks DZ,

So does +/- 1° camber adjustment pull the wheel up fairly straight, my rears splay out a bit at the moment and 1° doesn't sound like a lot. I estimate mine has worn the inner edge of the tyres right down over a period of around 20,000 k's so it can't be too bad, probably the reason the guys that fitted the springs said it was alright at the time. Unfortunately once the springs settled it must have caused a little too much toe out :(
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My Bilstein shocks came in a few weeks ago, I'm 1000km overdue for a service, so I'm going to get the oil and filters, then take it to my mechanic and he can do my shocks/rear sway bar and service for me.

Do they lower the car anymore? Because I don't really want to push it too low, its low enough as it is.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just did the drivers side head light...

2nd time I changed it in 3 years... same with the other side. Seems a little excessive seeing as I think I only ever changed 1 headlight globe in the 10 years I had the Festiva...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #39
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Thanks DZ,

So does +/- 1° camber adjustment pull the wheel up fairly straight, my rears splay out a bit at the moment and 1° doesn't sound like a lot. I estimate mine has worn the inner edge of the tyres right down over a period of around 20,000 k's so it can't be too bad, probably the reason the guys that fitted the springs said it was alright at the time. Unfortunately once the springs settled it must have caused a little too much toe out :(
1° camber adjustment does not sound like much, but it accounts for about 40-50% of the total tolerance range (Source: AFF Tech Resources):

This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
My Bilstein shocks came in a few weeks ago, I'm 1000km overdue for a service, so I'm going to get the oil and filters, then take it to my mechanic and he can do my shocks/rear sway bar and service for me.

Do they lower the car anymore? Because I don't really want to push it too low, its low enough as it is.
Damo, you got the B8 shocks right? Well, they are a shortened shock, designed for lowered springs. So yes, your car may drop just a little more, once the new shocks have settled. Still, its the springs that do most of the lowering, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Let us know how the car handles - with your Bilstein shocks + Eibach Springs + Whiteline Rear Swaybar, it should handle like a dream
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #41
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know what brand the standard shocks are in an LV Zetec, would I benefit by changing them for shorter shocks ? I can't really afford to go any lower on the front though, the SL's are already pretty low, any lower and I think scrubbing could become an issue :(
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #42
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Koni Yellow or Bilstein B8 shocks would definitely improve your cars handling. They are both designed to work with lowered springs.

And I speak from experience...I went from Eibach Springs with OEM shocks (the latter eventually gave up), to Koni Springs with Koni Yellow shocks and there was a huge difference in handling performance. To the point where I'd never fit springs alone to a car again - I'd always be looking to go to a matched spring / shock combo.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Just did the drivers side head light...

2nd time I changed it in 3 years... same with the other side. Seems a little excessive seeing as I think I only ever changed 1 headlight globe in the 10 years I had the Festiva...
We've got one of those WF Festiva's, those H4s in that thing put out as much light as wearing a miners hat with a tea candle inside it, might as well as not have any .

Haha before I converted to HIDs I blew around 4 or 5 pairs.

But I drive with my lights on all the time and had the +100s which have a shorter life for better light output.

If you want something long life, check out these:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

They have a slightly better light output over normal globes but not as good as the OSRAM Night breaker plus or Phillips Xtremevision +100s (All still 55W).

Quote:
Damo, you got the B8 shocks right? Well, they are a shortened shock, designed for lowered springs. So yes, your car may drop just a little more, once the new shocks have settled. Still, its the springs that do most of the lowering, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Let us know how the car handles - with your Bilstein shocks + Eibach Springs + Whiteline Rear Swaybar, it should handle like a dream
Yeah I got the B8s, hopefully it doesn't drop too much or I might have to go the bigger wheels to lift it back up a bit, I can already bottom out the car on these **** roads if I'm not careful.

Hopefully, she's real nose heavy with the cast iron diesel engine up the front, and these crap Toyo TEO PLUS tyres, only good for high milage and low noise, once they go down past 60% tread you can spin em without even trying and get it to push wide easily.

This thing handles like a boat compared to my WS Fiesta, but the Fez is like 300kg lighter, and the Focus handles like a go-kart compared to my EL Fairmont Ghia, that thing is woeful, lol.

Quote:
Koni Yellow or Bilstein B8 shocks would definitely improve your cars handling. They are both designed to work with lowered springs.

And I speak from experience...I went from Eibach Springs with OEM shocks (the latter eventually gave up), to Koni Springs with Koni Yellow shocks and there was a huge difference in handling performance. To the point where I'd never fit springs alone to a car again - I'd always be looking to go to a matched spring / shock combo.
Booyah! sounds promising.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

60k service.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #45
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60,000 klm that would be a B service as in Big Bill.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
60,000 klm that would be a B service as in Big Bill.
Indeed it is, but alas i never went to Ford so the hit wasnt as big.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #47
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the rear camber kit fitted, 18's on and wheel alignment done, oh wow what a difference it's made, the Nitto Invo's are so quiet compared to the stock Good Years and they stick to the road like the proverbial to a blanket and the ride is as good if not better on the 18's than it was with the 17's

A quick pic taken with my iPhone

6 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Looks sweet Russ, stance is spot on. Wish i could lower mine but driveway is munted.
I also rooted my bonnet latch today, bonnet wont open
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #49
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Dallas, yeah I'm pretty happy with the result, next upgrade will be short shocks and then I'll hopefully look into tuning prospects There was a post on the XR5 Forum regarding an upgrade to a cable release for the bonnet but it sounds like a bit of messing around involved to do it :( There were quite a few guys complaining about them failing, I think the secret will be to keep the mechanism and lock well lubricated to help with longevity

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...?topic=16782.0

Apparently one of the guys did a DIY thread on the manual cable upgrade, it's on here - http://xr5ownersclub.com/forum/viewt...p=95280#p95280

Last edited by Russ; 05-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Looks sweet Russ, stance is spot on. Wish i could lower mine but driveway is munted.
I also rooted my bonnet latch today, bonnet wont open
We left the little rod thing out of the lock when we did my driving lights, and then we had a real hard time getting it open.

We spent like 30 minutes with two flat blade screw drivers trying to put it back into its hole.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #51
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great Russ, also loving that stance.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #52
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks DZ and thanks again for your help along the way
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Thanks Dallas, yeah I'm pretty happy with the result, next upgrade will be short shocks and then I'll hopefully look into tuning prospects There was a post on the XR5 Forum regarding an upgrade to a cable release for the bonnet but it sounds like a bit of messing around involved to do it :( There were quite a few guys complaining about them failing, I think the secret will be to keep the mechanism and lock well lubricated to help with longevity

http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...?topic=16782.0

Apparently one of the guys did a DIY thread on the manual cable upgrade, it's on here - http://xr5ownersclub.com/forum/viewt...p=95280#p95280
Yeah i did hear about that, i dunno if i can be bothered changing it. It was an amateur mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
We left the little rod thing out of the lock when we did my driving lights, and then we had a real hard time getting it open.

We spent like 30 minutes with two flat blade screw drivers trying to put it back into its hole.
Yeah its booked in at Ford next week, but im going to have as go at it myself, thing is it wont go up my ramps and another thing there isnt a heap of hand room between bumper and Intercooler.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #54
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
60k service.
Beat you by one day... did mine Thursday ;)

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #55
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
If you want something long life, check out these:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

They have a slightly better light output over normal globes but not as good as the OSRAM Night breaker plus or Phillips Xtremevision +100s (All still 55W).
Thanks for that link Damo, they look pretty good! I bought a twin pack of Calibre 'something or others' from Supercheap for $37 (after 20% off sale) and they had a '50% / 50%' on the packet, prob 50% longer lasting and 50% brighter. They are certainly brighter than the bulb it replaced which was something I grabbed from behind the counter at the servo when I was in a rush to get a globe.

Will buy those and just keep them on the shelf when these new one blow.

BONUS!! Free W5W side lights (the lights used in the rear hatch area). I was trying to buy them for my Focus at the same time and there were none hanging and the whole store had 2 staff working that were both serving a long line of customers at the register... on a 20% off day of all things!

Win Win

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Washed, waxed etc. Now time to take it out for a blat through the hills.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #57
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took it along to the Sussex Inlet Fishing Club Charity Car Show

3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #58
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your car is looking great Russ. Once again, those king springs give the car just a really nice stance.

Just a quick wash for mine today. It really needed it - the wheels were COVERED in brake dust after putting new pads in a couple of weeks ago.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #59
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks DZ, I'll have to try and get along to a Focus day some time, it would be nice to meet a few of the guys from behind the keyboards I like the wheels on yours but they must be a bugger to keep clean ? The XR5T rims are great and even easier to clean than the stock rims were
Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #60
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are a PITA to keep clean. So many spokes.