Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Thumbs up Purchasing a Focus TDCi

Hi all,

I'm new here

I've been looking at purchasing a Focus TDCi for a while now because I travel long distances to work and back everyday, this morning I had the oppotunity to take one for a spin to see if it was the right car for me.

God it goes well, coming from an auto 1.8 Pulsar this thing kills it. There is torque everywhere! I was a bit messy with the clutch but having not owned a manual before I think I did alright. It corners great, ride is good and it is nice and quiet inside. I'm sold.

The car was Pure Silver, just came off the boat. The only thing it needs is a bodykit.

Any questions feel free to ask

Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you going to buy one is the question for me

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Definitely go manual. Far more control, and once you've got the hang of it, you'll have much more fun.

And you've nailed the diesel engine in one..........it's all about the torque, and that's what makes driving fun.

So welcome to the Forums.... lots of good people here (and a few screwballs!!LOL)and a fair bit of knowledge amongst us all....but you'll officially be the first Focus TDCi owner here! Congratulations!!

One tip....don't be scared to ask the stupid questions....they're often the most important ones
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I already have one waiting for me, just want to get some things added before I pick it up. So maybe a week or so, can't wait.

I was told that I might have to get an aftermarket "Talon" bodykit or something if they don't have a genuine Ford one. A nicer spoiler would be nice too, anyone have any experience in this area?

I'm just gonna stick with the standard wheels until I need new tyres, they look alright for now.
Old 28-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Definitely go manual. Far more control, and once you've got the hang of it, you'll have much more fun.

And you've nailed the diesel engine in one..........it's all about the torque, and that's what makes driving fun.

So welcome to the Forums.... lots of good people here (and a few screwballs!!LOL)and a fair bit of knowledge amongst us all....but you'll officially be the first Focus TDCi owner here! Congratulations!!

One tip....don't be scared to ask the stupid questions....they're often the most important ones
Hey mate, thanks for the warm welcome. Much appreciated

Being an all auto driver up until now I was afraid to go manual at first because I thought I would get sick of it. But I love cars and driving and auto ****es me off so I forced myself into it, glad to know I won't regret it now so I'm happy.

The only thing I'm unsure about is the servicing costs, I sincerely hope I don't get slugged there because it defeats the purpose of owning a diesel. Ah well gotta take some risks in life I suppose.

Glad to be on board!
Old 28-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Welcome mate... i would be one of those Screwballs melbzetec was talking about hehehehehehe

Go with the bobdykit and XR5T rear spoiler. try www.european-parts.net

i wonder how long it will be before you get the MOD bug and want to up the anti on it! hahahaha BOOOOSTTTTT

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took one for a drive today also, I was really curious to see how it drove, as I liked the look and interior better than the Astra. I was surprised I could stall the Focus TDCi as easy as I did, I found the Astra to grab earlier in the rev range and it felt less willing to stall. The Astra feels more like a sports car/road rocket (handles better and noticably has more power), but I would still take the Focus on it's strengths of interior quality, a bit bigger than the Astra, quieter and lower price tag and better fuel economy. There's my unbiased opinion.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Yeah, I'm actually going to sell my 2006 Focus in a few months to get the TDCi, cant wait.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
BlackLS

Is the TDCi only in manual or auto. Mum wants to get a new Foc and an auto TDCi would be sweet
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only in manual. Tell her to get a Golf, it uses a DSG 6 speed -they have no torque convertors and get the same economy as the manual gearboxes. Drive one, then you will understand why I am recommending it.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Took one for a drive today also, I was really curious to see how it drove, as I liked the look and interior better than the Astra. I was surprised I could stall the Focus TDCi as easy as I did, I found the Astra to grab earlier in the rev range and it felt less willing to stall. The Astra feels more like a sports car/road rocket (handles better and noticably has more power), but I would still take the Focus on it's strengths of interior quality, a bit bigger than the Astra, quieter and lower price tag and better fuel economy. There's my unbiased opinion.

I stalled it quite a bit as well, but considering it was still tight and coupled with my useless clutch skills I thought it went really well. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and smooth it was as well, for someone without good hearing the only queue you'd get from the engine is a shove of torque in the back :P
Old 29-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

thought i would point out they only come in manual in Australia.
Old 29-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyweb
thought i would point out they only come in manual in Australia.
Then he should definitely go the manual then!!!!!!! Nice pickup
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also have one on order pending a final test drive, the dealer does not have one in stock yet. Looking forward to driving it though.
Old 30-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I also have one on order pending a final test drive, the dealer does not have one in stock yet. Looking forward to driving it though.
Cool stuff, mine is at the dealers awaiting the bodykit and options to be fitted

Did you order yours with the safety pack?
Old 30-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep got the safety pack half price could not say no, reverse sensors, sports gear knob, mats, scuff plates few other bits and pieces. Probably should have got the kit as well What colour?
Old 30-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They drive very well, and the economy is absolutely insane!!
Old 30-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #18
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Yep got the safety pack half price could not say no, reverse sensors, sports gear knob, mats, scuff plates few other bits and pieces. Probably should have got the kit as well What colour?
The scuff plates and sports gear knob look tempting... but I think I've already spent enough money on it lol.

I hope the economy is as good as they say it is, and I hope the servicing is the same or better than the petrols. Mine is going to be Pure Silver

$4000 more is a lot more to pay for just the diesel engine, but when you drive it that torque is addictive!
Old 31-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
BlackLS

Focus 4cyls seems to be more peaky compared to the low down, nothing up top torque of the Astra.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Safety pack is standard from July to Sept build but at a cost of half of the RRP for that option. Its a good buy. So from Oct onwards it will be full RRP.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just out of interest to the guys that test drove the diesel, which dealers did you do this at? As my dealer(s) still dont have one.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #22
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am keen on this model also, would be good for the misses. Auto not an option, doesn't worry us but Ford will lose some buyers to Holden over this.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #23
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just out of interest to the guys that test drove the diesel, which dealers did you do this at? As my dealer(s) still dont have one.
Most metro dealers should have theirs by now and rural shouldn't be far away at all. I've got some now and took one for a drive, very nice indeed. Go the turbo diesel torque, its lovvvvelly.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Knox Ford in Vic
Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
whippet_zetec
Supes

Interesting to note the stalling on the diesel, you should note that you cant drive a diesel like a petrol so there will be a few little intricacies in clutch and throttle control (especially if you try to start off from a set of lights in 2nd gear in the diesel ;) )
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #26
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I test drove mine at Macarthur Ford NSW, I know a salesman there so that's why I was able to drive it so early. It helps having contacts.

The reason I kept stalling it is because currently I'm hopeless at driving manual and I kept letting the clutch out too quickly :O

Mine is currently at another dealer getting kitted up and registered. Pickup should be in about another week hopefully
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #27
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Torquey?
What do they pull like?

On another note, The Ghia wheels look terrible.
Horrid.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #28
KAGE
Starter Motor

hi, im new to the forums, im looking to buy my 2nd car. i have a corrolla at the moment. i was hopeing to get a car that is more effient or as effient on fuel. and i have always like diesels. i am starting a new apprentiship soon and i want to buy a new car. i have budgeted in to replace my car every 5 years and that comes around next year. i want to get a car that will have a good resale value or won't depreciate much. do you think i should go for a standard cheaper focus or fork out a bit ( a lot) more for a TDci version?
KAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #29
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Torquey?
What do they pull like?

On another note, The Ghia wheels look terrible.
Horrid.
I agree, the Ghia and Zetec wheels look crap.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #30
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAGE
hi, im new to the forums, im looking to buy my 2nd car. i have a corrolla at the moment. i was hopeing to get a car that is more effient or as effient on fuel. and i have always like diesels. i am starting a new apprentiship soon and i want to buy a new car. i have budgeted in to replace my car every 5 years and that comes around next year. i want to get a car that will have a good resale value or won't depreciate much. do you think i should go for a standard cheaper focus or fork out a bit ( a lot) more for a TDci version?
Welcome kage,

The standard $19,990 CL 2.0L is the most fuel efficent 2.0L in its class at 7.1L/100km. The diesel is a lot better at 5.6L/100km. You will be happy with either. The TDCI is however based on the LX so it comes with pretty much all the features you would want. If you have anymore questions just ask.