Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
Peterwl

Default Stop Start Technology

I am looking to update my two cars for different uses. One for the local short range commutes, and a Sunday / Big trip drive.

I was all set to get a new Mazda 3 auto until I realised it had Stop Start technology that you cannot permanently disable, only disable per trip.

I assume no manual transmission vehicles have it, only autos.

I definitely do not want any new car with this madness in it.

It appears all the current new Euros and Japanese cars have it !

Maybe this is a reason to buy a current Falcon or Commodore as they do not have it !

Any one know of a list of current cars that do NOT have it ?

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: Stop Start Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwl View Post
I am looking to update my two cars for different uses. One for the local short range commutes, and a Sunday / Big trip drive.

I was all set to get a new Mazda 3 auto until I realised it had Stop Start technology that you cannot permanently disable, only disable per trip.

Maybe this is a reason to buy a current Falcon or Commodore as they do not have it !

That's a BIG list. Far more cars without stop start then with I'd say. Anything Ford and Ecoboost engined, you can't go wrong. Google is your friend too
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These systems are also available on manual cars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Madness?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its no big deal to turn off just push a button
also the Mazda system ( auto or manual ) wont activate if you don't press the brake pedal too hard while the car is idling
If your in the market for a car like a Mazda 3 its doubtful you would consider a Falcon or Commodore
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

uploadfromtaptalk1429314011463.jpeg
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think on the same wave length Peterwl, i like the idea of keeping it simple engineering .
if i need a rocket scientist to do a clutch ............. or to see a bank manager every time a major service comes up....... i do not want it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes I honestly think it's technology for technologies sake...just to look trendy.

When we got the new model Prados at work a few years back, we all noticed one interesting thing. The "old" Prado had a traditional physical lever on the floor to move from high range to low range 4x4. It was a mechanical connection to the box, wobbling slightly as the car idled. Our Triton has the same thing by the way.
Then the "new" Prado came out, and it had a knob to turn to do the same job...and we all immediately started considering what was involved.
On one vehicle you had a simple lever. On the newer one there was a dial...with a complex multi-function switch unit behind it...with circuitry behind that...with meters of wiring...with a computer somewhere controlling it...with servo motors on the gearbox...with mechanisms to select low or high range from that servo...

So many more levels of things that can possibly go wrong, and all for no real good reason...there wasn't any more interior space, there was just one less gear lever.

Stop start is a toss...nothing more. You would have to be doing a lot of stop start driving to see even the tiniest benefit...you'd probably get a better economy increase by just making sure your tyres are inflated correctly and your car is serviced properly...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 18-04-2015 at 11:46 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
You would have to be doing a lot of stop start driving to see even the tiniest benefit...you'd probably get a better economy increase by just making sure your tyres are inflated correctly and your car is serviced properly...

something which many people do not do

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Sometimes I honestly think it's technology for technologies sake...just to look trendy.

When we got the new model Prados at work a few years back, we all noticed one interesting thing. The "old" Prado had a traditional physical lever on the floor to move from high range to low range 4x4. It was a mechanical connection to the box, wobbling slightly as the car idled. Our Triton has the same thing by the way.
Then the "new" Prado came out, and it had a knob to turn to do the same job...and we all immediately started considering what was involved.
One one vehicle you had a simple lever. On the newer one there was a dial...with a complex multi-function switch unit behind it...with circuitry behind that...with meters of wiring...with a computer somewhere controlling it...with servo motors on the gearbox...with mechanisms to select low or high range from that servo...

So many more levels of things that can possibly go wrong, and all for no real good reason...there wasn't any more interior space, there was just one less gear lever.

Stop start is a toss...nothing more. You would have to be doing a lot of stop start driving to see even the tiniest benefit...you'd probably get a better economy increase by just making sure your tyres are inflated correctly and your car is serviced properly...
Funny you mention that about the Prado because just the other day I was speaking to a guy with a current model and he mentioned his is in for warranty due to the actuator for the dual range fuction being buggered.

I was a bit surprised when he first started telling me the story as every Prado I had driven had the mechanic shifter arrangement.

BTW the only purpose of the stop start fuction is to easily drop a few .1/100km on the official urban economy rating. Part of the test is 10minutes (not sure the exact amount of time, might be more) of idling to simulate being stationary at traffic lights.
So if a car is stopped during that test then it obviously it shaves a significant amount off the economy rating with little effort from the manufacturer.

In reality it achieves very little real World economy benefit; stuff like driving style, route choice, tyre pressure, junk in the boot, roof racks etc are a much greater influence on economy.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #11
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
I was surprised when looking at Ford Kuga's last year, the base model manual has it but not the autos

Redbook - 2014 TF Kuga Ambiente FWD Manual

Quote:
Engine - Stop Start System (When at idle)

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop start technology has to be one of the stupidest features on cars these days. Just pointless...
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #13
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
Snap into it!!!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Sioso
irregular member

My wife's CX5 has it, just a push button you need to hit after starting.
No different to turning traction control off on any of my cars in the past so it doesn't bother me.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Was riding in a Mercedes C Class last week with it installed. When it engaged, you could not tell it was off (exhaust note was almost dead silent when driving), but when the lights went green and my friend went to take off, the car acted stupid for about half a second, kinda like an L plater doing a mini bunny hop in grandma's old manual Excel!

Seriously if the Germans cant make this thing seemless then... who can?

I've been wondering since, how much undue stress is put through the driveline just to save a Litre or 2 each tank (city driving)? Not something that I want to have to deal with when warrenty ends!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #16
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Mr Brooksy;5375656]Was riding in a Mercedes C Class last week with it installed. When it engaged, you could not tell it was off (exhaust note was almost dead silent when driving), but when the lights went green and my friend went to take off, the car acted stupid for about half a second, kinda like an L plater doing a mini bunny hop in grandma's old manual Excel!

the Japanese
8 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post

I've driven several BMWs with it and you don't even notice it, except that the car is completely silent at stops. It starts again in a fraction of a second, completely seamless. There are Germans and there are Germans. Maybe the Merc was a Freitag build

That said, I'm not a fan of it, living in the country. I can understand its benefit in city peak traffic.
Old 18-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #18
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Stupid idea in Australia, when stopped whats going to drive the AC compressor? Our climate is mostly warm than cool like Europe. On a 40 degree day you would quickly sweat your *** off
6 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
nadojay

My wife has one of the new mazda 3s and its a great car but the start/stop is annoying because it switches off the aircon which in fnq sucks
nadojay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #20
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

OK guys, just bought the missus a brand new mazda 6 about a month ago. YOU CAN drive it without it ever turning off. If you lightly brake when holding the car at the lights it DOES NOT switch off. You have to apply more pressure on the brake pedal for it to activate the I stop.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #21
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mazda 3 has an awful lot of road noise.
We drove the Mistubishi Lancer GSR hatchback.
Creamed the Mazda.
2.4lt engine more kw & nm.
18inch alloys.
5 yr warranty.
The list goes on.
The only thing Mazda has over the Mitsubishi is it looks better.

Has anyone else seen the advert Adam Gilchrist.
That adverts states on average he will stop / start 18000 times in a year.
That's a lot of wear & tear on a starter motor.
Want to be a REALLY GOOD warranty on it...

Last edited by Blem; 18-04-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: additional information supplied just in case you were interested
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #22
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the starter motor isn't used to restart the engine
there is info here somewhere about how the Mazda system works
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #23
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was literally wondering what the world had come only just a few hours because of this exact topic. I was sitting at a set of lights with about 4 other cars surrounding me, when the light turned green I heard 3 of the cars start back up using this technology. We sat at the lights for no more than 20 seconds.... Is this technology justifiable? Is 20 seconds of 0 fuel consumption better than that of increased starter motor etc wear on engine components?
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
nitro50th

We have a current model Mazda3 SP25 with a manual gear box and the stop/start never really comes into play.

For it to activate on manual 3's you need to have the car in neutral and your foot off the clutch pedal. So you can decide at the lights or in heavy traffic if you want it to activate by just chucking it into neutral and taking your foot off the clutch pedal. As soon as you put pressure on the clutch pedal the engine starts up again.

In my normal driving it just doesn't happen, which was a big plus for as we drove an auto version and it quickly got annoying.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
I was literally wondering what the world had come only just a few hours because of this exact topic. I was sitting at a set of lights with about 4 other cars surrounding me, when the light turned green I heard 3 of the cars start back up using this technology. We sat at the lights for no more than 20 seconds.... Is this technology justifiable? Is 20 seconds of 0 fuel consumption better than that of increased starter motor etc wear on engine components?
I suppose I have less of a concern about it now than I would in a few years time...

...when your battery starts to get a bit iffy...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #26
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Stupid idea in Australia, when stopped whats going to drive the AC compressor? Our climate is mostly warm than cool like Europe. On a 40 degree day you would quickly sweat your *** off
The aircon keeps going, just slightly reduced.

And it gets very hot in Europe too!
Old 18-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #27
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I was following this new red VW Golf GTi a few weeks ago, and at each traffic light when stopped there was a few seconds delay before he got going again after the car in front of him started moving. Once this GTi got going again, he went at full acceleration to catch up again to the car in front.

Whether it was the stop start starting the engine each time, maybe he was on his mobile or something else distracting him or a combination of the two, but it was really annoying considering I anticipate the traffic in front and move off with the vehicle in front (no lag). And how much fuel would he have saved with stop start if he had to accelerate fast to catch up again, rather than accelerate moderately along with the rest of the traffic?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #28
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hired a Golf with it a few weeks ago. Didn't know what was going on at first, then found the disable button. Problem solved.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #29
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadojay View Post
My wife has one of the new mazda 3s and its a great car but the start/stop is annoying because it switches off the aircon which in fnq sucks
It wont switch off the car if its hot enough in mazda 3
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #30
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Aren't the new rangers getting stop start, thought I read something on here. Along with electric power assist.