Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default CLutch

Continuing my on going concern for my clutch, just wanted to ask all you focus owners out there, do you hear your clutch engaging when taking off or even hear it disengaging when slowing down (and de clutching)??? I can really hear it when reversing out of my garage and going into my garage, where the sound echoes really well... it almost sounds like clapping... i think paranoia has struck me again but its so fricken annoying not knowing if its normal or not and i dont wana look like an *** if i go to Ford and ask. :MrT_anim:

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 19-03-2005 at 11:13 PM.
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

nope, hear nothing like that, mine is driven hard and have no problems at all. ME gearbox is a little rougher than before, but understandable. I also clicked over 50,000km yesterday so it's loving life so far.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
Mio

yep same thing, and plus there is small oil leak on top of the gearbox
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 01:59 AM   #4
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio
yep same thing, and plus there is small oil leak on top of the gearbox
is this in reply to my concern or matt's comment??
Old 21-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

no clutch noise on engage or disengage, but she rattles like a bitch when iddling in nuetral.........not too worried about and will get Ford to check it out when I go back for my next service or warranty check-up.
Old 21-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Mio

thats reply to your concern chevaps, I should get ford to fix the leak but I think its nothing to worry about for now
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Don't have any of these problems in my Focus, which has done nearly 50 thousand kms, I would probably advise seeing Ford and getting them to look at it for peace of mind if nothing else?

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
lnysen
Starter Motor

I have had similar noises from my zetec. I have put it into Ford and they have pulled the gearbox out and are replacing bearings and other stuff.
lnysen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I occasionally have a slight rattle in neutral, but no engage/disengage noise. Take it to your dealer
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I occasionally have a slight rattle in neutral, but no engage/disengage noise. Take it to your dealer I think
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have just replaced my whole clutch. Changed the thrust bearing which was at $140+ and in 2 days still noisy in neutral, but the engaging and disengaging noise has gone.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
Blue_ST170

My car was making strange noises and shifting really badly...I got my dad to take it for a drive to see what he thought and half way through we got stuck in second gear and it wouldnt move....turns out the cheap *** plastic clips ford uses to hold the gearbox in had snapped and the whole box had shifted sideways.

Had that but I had to replace my clutch at about 15,000km...completely dead.I put in a self adjusting hydraulic one with stiffer springs etc....engages much quicker and better than stock and nice shifts.

I do get a vibration from my gearbox and really high revs but im told this happens on all ST170 and is fine....

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ST170

Had that but I had to replace my clutch at about 15,000km...completely dead.I put in a self adjusting hydraulic one with stiffer springs etc....engages much quicker and better than stock and nice shifts.
Where did you get this clutch? Ive been looking around to get a new after market clutch with no great success. The OE one is way too soft for my liking.

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 05-09-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #14
Blue_ST170

I got it all through our race mechanic....its works great but took a bit of getting used to cause its got way less travel than my old one and a very high traction point.

Ill ask him what brand it is next time i see him but im sure the ST170 uses a different clutch to the regular focus...

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going back to the original post for a moment....

It does sound like a thrust bearing or maybe even a spigot. Hard to diagnose like this.

Like others said take it back to a couple of mechanics and see what they think..

My LS makes no clutch related noise at all but like many others the gearbox rattles like marbles in a tin can at idle.... I kinda like the noise really, reminds me of me rally car...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
nope, hear nothing like that, mine is driven hard and have no problems at all. ME gearbox is a little rougher than before, but understandable. I also clicked over 50,000km yesterday so it's loving life so far.
Love your avatar mate, but I dont think that the devil would want that sour b**ch down there. ;)
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post