Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #451
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Thanks for the help deesun and poppa smurf!!

A big shout out to everyone contributing to this thread, this exchanging of information and opinions is what the forums are all about!!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #452
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I went with Origin Energy as they should hopefully be around for a while and they did a good deal on a 3kw system I could get installed before the ACT's FIT's ended in the middle of last year.

Wasn't turned on by local power company until October but I have now seen some good production and I'm way in credit with them. Will stay this way and see how we go over winter and then see if I can use the credit to offset the gas or water bill.

I may have to go up there and give them a clean though!

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #453
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
good figures!.....I thought NSW axed the feed in tariffs?

They did, but some retailers offer a small Feed in Tariff that they pay the customer. Gov has nothing to do with them.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #454
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Thanks for the help deesun and poppa smurf!!

A big shout out to everyone contributing to this thread, this exchanging of information and opinions is what the forums are all about!!
no worries at all mate......hopefully we can all gain from each other...provided we give accurate info

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
I went with Origin Energy as they should hopefully be around for a while and they did a good deal on a 3kw system I could get installed before the ACT's FIT's ended in the middle of last year.

Wasn't turned on by local power company until October but I have now seen some good production and I'm way in credit with them. Will stay this way and see how we go over winter and then see if I can use the credit to offset the gas or water bill.

I may have to go up there and give them a clean though!
we are in the same boat.....using summer production to offset winters usage...so far, so good...not real flash yesterday....heavy cloud all day..produced 2 kilowatts..exported nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
They did, but some retailers offer a small Feed in Tariff that they pay the customer. Gov has nothing to do with them.
oh well as long as you're getting something I suppose....I still reckon you should get the going rate whatever that may be that the supply company is charging

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #455
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

D Day, or install day for me.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #456
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! happy day's......hope all goes smooth for you!.......numbers please!!!!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 26-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #457
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
ah! happy day's......hope all goes smooth for you!.......numbers please!!!!

Ok.

3 Guys, reckon 8am till 2pm.

27 panels. Been drilling for an hour and a half, seems my house will be lighter after they are finished. lol
Old 26-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #458
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hah!.....yep when they are putting the brackets on they seem to do a lot of work with little result.....then all of a sudden the panels start going on and she's all over

if you have an iron roof make sure the swarf is hosed off the iron or it will rust...preferably washed out of the gutter as well.....even if you get up there later on yourself and do it

doesn't take long and will save headaches later on

you would have two teams there wouldn't you?....one team working on the distribution box to install the inverter and extra fuse whatsists and another team placing the panels

wont be long now and you'll be a "small power generator"

Old 26-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #459
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

2 guys on the roof, one guy on the powerbox and preping the panels. 4 and a half hours and it looks like the panels are about to start to go down.
Old 26-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #460
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wont be long now!!!.....what pleased me the most was that the savings began as soon as they threw the last isolator switch

gotta love that!......no more power bill's!

Old 26-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #461
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
looks like the panels are about to start to go down.
Wouldnt they go UP on the roof?
Or DOWN, UP on the roof.
Happy bill free dayz.
Old 26-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #462
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
wont be long now!!!.....what pleased me the most was that the savings began as soon as they threw the last isolator switch

gotta love that!......no more power bill's!

Earnt already. .5kw.

Very overcast day, producing about 1641wh (1.6kwh)

I have written the meter reading down prior to flicking the switch on. I will keep track of it's progress backwards over the coming weeks.

Blue one. What numbers are important for you to consider? The inverter has a panl which scrolls through some data. Current power, daily, all, Volts???
Old 26-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #463
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Wouldnt they go UP on the roof?
Or DOWN, UP on the roof.
Happy bill free dayz.

They put them down like laying grass. lol
Old 26-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #464
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate the only numbers I follow are

days production,....read from the panel on the inverter ....(total days production from solar array)

days import..........read from meter (power from grid to house)

days export .........read from meter (power from array to grid)

I've kept the record from day one and i have now got pages of data to look back upon (I don't know why)

I subtract the days export from the days import (or vice versa) and that gives me the total of the days dealings and how much more Lumo owes me...yippeeee!!!

glad you had a trouble free install, ...........that lectrickery bill will be or already is a killer

Last edited by poppa smurf; 26-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 26-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #465
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
mate the only numbers I follow is

days production,....read from the panel on the inverter ....(total days production from solar array)

I've kept the record from day one and i have now got pages of data to look back upon (I don't know why)

glad you had a trouble free install, ...........that lectrickery bill will be or already is a killer
I'm too lazy for that.

I let my server talk to the inverter and upload the production numbers to a website. (pvoutput.org)

It comes down to what you want out of it. We're not chasing any numbers as such and so just wait for the bill to come in with a credit every few months. Others I know monitor everything from dawn to dusk and get really upset if there is a spike in daytime usage etc.

You'll find you're 'level' soon enough.

** If your inverter has bluetooth and you have a computer with bluetooth - make use of it.
http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=1701
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #466
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only takes 5 minutes......end of the day ritual.....neighbour is out at about that time so we have a yak over the fence.....solve all the worlds problems

I'll follow it for 12 months then make a decision to switch over to origin and see if I can pay my gas bill and make some purchases with the excess as well

dont know yet!

Old 26-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #467
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
mate the only numbers I follow are

I am yet to have the Smart Meter?? fitted which is what the retailer buys the power back from me from. At the moment I am spinning the meter backwards.

Meter at "turn on" read 58043. At the moment the meter is rolling forward. It is 4.00pm and very overcast, so much so I can look directly at the sun without squinting. Producing 551w.

I will report back tomorrow afternoon with a meter reading and days production figure.
Old 28-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #468
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Yesterday we produced 12 kw (14total since install) while we have used what we have produced plus 18 kw total.

I guess we are aiming for closer to 30 odd produced while burning 16 odd.

Rained yesterday for a few hours, as it is now, so I look forward to getting a few sunny days to get a true reading.

No I am looking at hooking into the bluetooth stuff.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #469
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the figures will be down simply because of the time of year.....it will pick up over summer

have you checked the install...looking for loose or dangling wires and the removal of the swarf?

Old 28-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #470
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
the figures will be down simply because of the time of year.....it will pick up over summer

have you checked the install...looking for loose or dangling wires and the removal of the swarf?

Hosed off the roof. They didnt drill a lok of holes, utilising what was there already. They did saw off the alloy rails up there though.

Each panel had a Male plug on one side and a Female plug on the other. They were a really nice quality plug, so they all look good.
Old 28-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #471
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah thats good......I seen a job last week that was a shocker.....wires dangling on roof and swarf shining in the sun already rusting

are you looking at getting the smart meter anytime soon?

Old 28-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #472
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
ah thats good......I seen a job last week that was a shocker.....wires dangling on roof and swarf shining in the sun already rusting

are you looking at getting the smart meter anytime soon?

Its part of the deal, but I have to wait for Ergon to come and do it. It may take a month I have been told.
Old 28-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #473
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! I hear that they are up against it some parts........

Old 29-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #474
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Burning in 3 kw at the moment, a nice, almost cloud free day atm.
That is the best figure I have seen.
Old 29-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #475
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I wouldn't have a clue on how to read the meter. I just wait for the credit to come in the mail...............
Old 29-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #476
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I wouldn't have a clue on how to read the meter. I just wait for the credit to come in the mail...............

Here is my inverter. It has 2 rows of data. It shows the current output in real time at all times on the top row. The bottom row swaps between about 6 functions, like Amps, AC and DC output, Daily Total, Total Forever etc.

Made 22 today, with clouds rolling over about 11.30am and hanging around for the rest of the day.

Old 30-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #477
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
what sort of meter have you got.......if it's a "smart meter" then just read your export and compare it with your import

your inverter is pretty well self explanatory.....you should have

instant production (what your array is producing right now)

days production (what has been produced by your array for that particular day)

and in some cases months production

there is other "stuff" on their that I don't bother too much about and the information varies from inverter to inverter

if you have a standard meter then compare your quarterly figures with previous quarterly figures.....found on previous account statements......this will give you an idea of what your array is doing over the periods studied

I'm simply watching my metering in order to get some idea of what it does over a twelve month period,....this will arm me with knowledge to make a decision as to where I go next

Old 30-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #478
bartaxr8

I live in SE Melbourne and just got the local paper in the letterbox today. On of the ads in it was for a company called Solar Dynamics. They are advetising 2 KW systems for $2,990, 3 KW systems for $5,175 and 5 KW systems for $9,490. All these prices are fully installed. Are these prices ok?
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #479
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds pretty good to me.....do you know what panels they are using?

if it was me I'd be looking at the 3 kw system......but once again you must do your sum's

Old 30-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #480
bartaxr8

Quote:
sounds pretty good to me.....do you know what panels they are using?

if it was me I'd be looking at the 3 kw system......but once again you must do your sum's
According to there website the solar panels are Canadian Solar Panels.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post