Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #91
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
$285 for his short shifter is cheap, I know Kev wants a good one; they tried one from another company and sent it back. Said it was ordinary.
And not only is $285 cheap. but the short shifter is a geuine Tremec part. Why would you want to pay $600 for something that is a copy.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 05-04-2005 at 06:37 AM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #92
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Depends where you shop around buddy. Generally you will pay around the 1500.00 including fitting.

I would say its about 20 percent stiffer on the foot? It rattles a little now in nuetral which it didnt used to do but the overall feel of the clutch is lovely and the short shifter i had fitted is lovely also, 285 mal woods short shifter, one of the cheapest and best investments around.
Hi Simon,
I drove a GT-P not long ago with the MalWoods clutch and it was a completely different car to drive the only problem i had was it made a noise like u have stated which put me off buying one.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #93
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Hi Simon,
I drove a GT-P not long ago with the MalWoods clutch and it was a completely different car to drive the only problem i had was it made a noise like u have stated which put me off buying one.
Yer its a bit like the roll over noise the Ol T3 makes in nutral with foot off the clutch, but the feel on the foot is worth the noise mate, it feels great.

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #94
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Yer its a bit like the roll over noise the Ol T3 makes in nutral with foot off the clutch, but the feel on the foot is worth the noise mate, it feels great.
I might consider when my clutch dies but at the moment it's pretty good and i am quiet happy with it. :evilsasmo
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #95
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
I might consider when my clutch dies but at the moment it's pretty good and i am quiet happy with it. :evilsasmo
Hi Alex, Stop driving it like a Granny..lol. :evil_laug

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #96
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Hi Alex, Stop driving it like a Granny..lol. :evil_laug
I got some tips from Gary maybe that's why my clutch is like new. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 05-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #97
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Simon

I spoke to Ben at Mal Wood today as I have had the same noise after mine went in on Friday.

Said it is quite common and will most likely stop after a about a 1000 k's.

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #98
rodderz

Brad have you noticed anything with the lightened flywheel?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #99
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Simon

I spoke to Ben at Mal Wood today as I have had the same noise after mine went in on Friday.

Brad
Hi Brad,
Would be interested if the noise does go away,personally i didn't like the sound of it.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 05-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #100
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
I got some tips from Gary maybe that's why my clutch is like new. :
take it easy on Poor Gary the granny gear stick grabber,
Old 05-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #101
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Brad have you noticed anything with the lightened flywheel?
only my tread disappearing at a great rate of knots....mate this clutch would put an erection on a jellyfish.

Brad

Quote:
Old 05-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #102
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Hi Brad,
Would be interested if the noise does go away,personally i didn't like the sound of it.
Alex...to be honest I was a little worried at the start especially as I noticed it whilst waiting to take the car down the 1/4 but after speaking to Ben today at length it said my mind at ease ( a bit !!).

Doesn't happen all the time though...seems to occur mainly when car is very warm.

Brad

Quote:
Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #103
Chris
AFF.com.au

Brad, watch the temperature deal, I have a theory, and it is only a theory.....

I have noticed that after fitting the Mal woods clutch, yes, these noises are happening all of a sudden.

I dont think its the clutches............

The clutch has more clutch plate spring pressure, therefore reducing its ability to absorb harmonic vibration and noise.

The noise is geartrain noise.

ALSO - temp affects gearbox noise bigtime. keep and eye on it.

Basically, the 2800lb Mal woods clutch will outlast the diff, gears, cv's, gearbox, (and possibly even the big end bearings).

Anyone worried about it? They are a good thing, fit them without hesitation.

Alex, dont worry about the noise, the clutch is a little bit more quiet than solid lifters in a clevo, lol!!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #104
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Simon

Brad
ARGHH,just like the oil burning,third gear rumble,diff noise, THEY ALL DO THAT.~!!!!!!!!!!! :

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #105
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking Wsid 2/4/5

Went down to WSID last night to better my Saturday time, was doing 13.4s & 13.5's all night. The track was slippery at first, it gripped up by the end of the night. I was launching at 3000rpm+ but bogging down, the Toyo's are fantastic with heat in them. I was too scared to launch over 3500rpm, just a girl. I'll save some money before heading for the track next time in case I break something. One run was a great launch, see slip. Was on track for atleast another 13.2 something, WSID said I did 11's. So now, does this make mine the quickest BA XR8 of all time? he he... e

Last edited by PhantomXR8; 07-04-2005 at 08:33 PM.
PhantomXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #106
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
WSID said I did 11's. So now, does this make mine the quickest BA XR8 of all time? he he..
Hi Craig, 11's on a 107 km per hr pass..lol.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 07-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #107
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Went down to WSID last night to better my Saturday time, was doing 13.4s & 13.5's all night. The track was slippery at first, it gripped up by the end of the night. I was launching at 3000rpm+ but bogging down, the Toyo's are fantastic with heat in them. I was too scared to launch over 3500rpm, just a girl. I'll save some money before heading for the track next time in case I break something. One run was a great launch, see slip. Was on track for atleast another 13.2 something, WSID said I did 11's. So now, does this make mine the quickest BA XR8 of all time? he he... e
Hey Phantom good to see ya doing another 13.2's, finally will be able to go next street meet next wednesday, hey whats a good time to get there and not miss the cutoff.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 09:05 PM   #108
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Hey Phantom good to see ya doing another 13.2's, finally will be able to go next street meet next wednesday, hey whats a good time to get there and not miss the cutoff.
Not sure mate, 7:30pm is the cut off for entry, some were still coming in at around 7:00pm. I was there right at 5:00pm, one of the 1st through scrutineering and 4th in the line. Turning up around 7:00pm would have been great for grip, the track was starting to get very sticky around then.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #109
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Craig, 11's on a 107 km per hr pass..lol.

Hi Mark!
First of all, what does lol mean? One of my runs was against a 378ci TD Cortina, talk about 60' times, he creamed me. Was gaining on him near the end though. His best time was a 11.5, great car!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #110
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Simon,

The noise might be caused by the way it was installed (something to tight or loose) My clutch was installed by Mal wood himself and the only noises I get are theses cherping sounds when I change gears. I wonder what it might be...

But seriously, I dont get a single rattle or a squeak out of my clutch.

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #111
SpoolMan

Quote:
Hi Mark!
First of all, what does lol mean?
Laugh out Loud....
was looking at this, to run a 11 sec pass at 107 klm or 63 mph app, there was some major trouble some ware.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 07-04-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 PM   #112
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Default Wsid

[QUOTE=XRFPV8]
Quote:
Hi Mark!
First of all, what does lol mean?
Laugh out Loud....to run a 11 sec pass at 107 klm or 63 mph app, there was some major trouble some ware.
Yeh, the timing was out on some runs. One happened to be mine when I was on a screamer!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #113
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Thinking about another visit to WSID next Wednesday, if so I'll look out for you in the lines.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #114
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Hi Mark!
First of all, what does lol mean? One of my runs was against a 378ci TD Cortina, talk about 60' times, he creamed me. Was gaining on him near the end though. His best time was a 11.5, great car!
I think u might of gained on him when the 1/4 was finished.11 sec pass that is close to 120 mph.Anyway well done those times are pretty good.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 07-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #115
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bummer Mate, im sure your car will run a 13.1 very soon, Good on you for having another go.. keep it up im waiting for your clutch to go R.I.P

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #116
Chris
AFF.com.au

I think I know a mexican who will be trying an "xtreme" launch sat night lol
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #117
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I think I know a mexican who will be trying an "xtreme" launch sat night lol
If he's got tyres as sticky as mine tell him.......3500rpm+
Old 09-04-2005, 01:41 AM   #118
XRQTOR
Banned

Hey Craig, did you see a R32 GTR running at all. Apparently it runs low 1o's.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #119
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Hey Craig, did you see a R32 GTR running at all. Apparently it runs low 1o's.
I saw it in the lines but not on the track. There was some great Turbos and rotarys there, they're pretty resourceful some of those guys.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #120
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
I saw it in the lines but not on the track. There was some great Turbos and rotarys there, they're pretty resourceful some of those guys.
How about 4ORD, black AUIII xr8. He went lost the finals last weekend in the holden vs ford show, dialled in 11.oo and ran a 1o.8o

Will they let someone race with a full face dirt bike helmet or does it need to be a special helmet.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post