Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > The Sales Yard > Wanted Car bits and other general items

Wanted Car bits and other general items If you want it and it's not in the For Sale section, post it here

Old 28-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Unhappy Need assorted parts for 2001 Fairmont Series 3, 5.0

My digital display for the aircon (all of the whole display) isn't displaying properly, am wondering if it's easy enough to take it out and check for poor solder joints. If not, does anyone have any idea where I can get a refurbished one, some instructions would be nice too if possible.

Also my drivers headlight is fuzzy and the passenger one is filled with water. I guess I'll have to go to PickaPart in Cambellfield and see if I can pick up a decent set - anybody know what they charge? I couldn't find it in their website.

Finally, the drivers seat belt is buggered, can I have some advice on removing and refitting that also.

Thanks in advice,
Dave
knightmayre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2020, 12:42 AM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Need assorted parts for 2001 Fairmont Series 3, 5.0

This place fixes the LCD climate control unit..

https://liquidxtal.com/index_ford.html

You can buy headlight polishing repair kits from your local auto store..

Seat belts are easy to replace, just take off the trims and you will find that the seat belt is just bolted in.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info re the digital display, can't afford that right now though.
Only one headlight is cloudy, the other is full of water.
Am wondering if I should take the soaked one out and get the mrs hairdryer out and see if I can get rid of the water. Might be worth a go.
Old 29-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Just drill a hole in the lowest part of the light and let it drain out.
Old 29-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
knightmayre
Starter Motor

I tried that in a another car I had and it always filled with condensation once it had rained, but that would clear after a couple of nice sunny days. Am not doubting you but are
you sure that drilling a hole at the bottom will work for sure?

Another thing, anybody know anybody in the NW Melbourne suburbs who is a tad slack when doing RWC? My local guy always wanted to replace the windscreen & moulding but the last 2 times I've been there he's let it slide.

I've only got a 14 day UVP right now but times are really hard and I don't know when I'm going to be able to get the roadie done. I'll do my usual and use the low pressure degreaser on the sump to clean up any oil, then clean it all off with the low pressure water setting. I do it just before I take it in just in case so it's nice and clean
Old 11-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
knightmayre
Starter Motor

I used an avocado on the cloudy headlight and it came up pretty nice (old trick I learned eons ago lol), just replaced the condensation filled passenger headlight. I put in some rear main seal stop leak and it appears to be working, no more drips but I can't drive anywhere due to the non-essential trips rule so I've been letting it idle it for 40 minutes twice a day with the heater on max just in case.

Still got to do the drivers seatbelt, front rotors - is it worth spending the extra to fit slotted/ drilled ones? - and I reckon I'll let them replace the split boots everywhere. I hit the engine with degreaser the other day then used the pressure washer, not realising that it was on high What a ********. Now she's lumpy as hell, I've sprayed WD40 everywhere and she's not as bad as she was.

I can't find the dipstick for the auto box, I think the AUII I had didn't have one either. How am I supposed to check the level as it hard shifts into 2nd and I want to make sure it's not something as simple as fluid.

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These discs seem a like a good price and original.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32413150...84.m1555.l2649

There is a fill plug on RH side of the transmission, that's where you check the fluid level. trans needs to be warm to touch which is about an hour after driving. On a level surface the fluid needs to be at the bottom of the fill hole.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Thanks for the eBay link, although mine has a build date of Dec 2001, you know if there is any difference? I was going to get them via Supercheap as I have a Trade Card...
The fill plug, is it recessed as I know some are. Been trying to find a pic but no luck so far.

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for your help.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides
by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men
Old 11-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes sorry they wont fit. After the date in the link, is when they went to the bigger twin piston brakes.

Fill plug is not recessed. image below.

4 Speed Fill Plug.JPG
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Thank you again for your help, I'll check it tomorrow if it's not raining. That image was exactly what I wanted.

I'm looking at this DBA kit, 2x rotors, brake pads and fluid for $210 (before discount)...

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...PO3493283.html

Unfortunately I will just have to wait until I can afford it :(
I normally buy Bendix Titanium pads although they can be a bit harsh on the rotors but seeing as how I am really strapped for cash this kit might be the way to go.

Cheers (again)
Dave

Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Check “Empowered Auto Parts” for the brakes, they do good prices, fast delivery ex-RDA warehouses. Sometimes there’s a voucher on Fleabay that makes it cheaper again than the online store they operate. I bought dimpled and slotted front brakes for the AU II for about $180 including pads, about six weeks ago.

Exercise every caution and then some with the trans fill/level plug.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info re brakes...
Can you elaborate on what you meant by exercising all caution?
Are you talking about making sure no grime or dirt gets in there?

Cheers
Dave

Old 13-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The head of the level plug (“bolt”) is not tall, and it’s on really tight. Very common that people smush the head to a point of needing serious brutality to get it off. You need a six point spanner and a way to ensure it remains firmly pressed onto the plug’s head whilst applying heavy force to release it.
Old 13-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Well, let's hope that a previous owner hasn't smushed it already!

I am doubting that my impact driver will fit in there, I've not looked yet as the car is on jacks at the moment but I don't fancy trying it with a UJ on the driver if the bolt doesn't have much of a head on it.

Old 13-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spray it with WD or the alike and let soak for a while. Give it a bit of a tap with a drift to break any seal, remember there is an o ring in there. If need be you can buy the o ring separate, EH 7S010 A is the number you need if so. If you bugger the plug, you can also buy new, EH 7A010 A.
Old 17-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post

Seat belts are easy to replace, just take off the trims and you will find that the seat belt is just bolted in.
I've taken the old seat belt out, that was easy, 1/4" Allen wrench did the trick to unbolt the Torx headed bolts, however I am now stumped.

The new belt won't pull out, is jamming on the ratchet and I can't figure out why.
I checked the old belt to see and despite it having more wrapped around the mech it's stuck too!

What's the trick to release the ratchet, and also do I have to leave some of the belt wrapped around to help it pull back when released? I've searched through the forums but can't find anything useful.

Cheers
Dave

Old 17-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You need to hold it at pretty much the exact angles of installation.
Old 17-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #18
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You need to hold it at pretty much the exact angles of installation.
Yeh, 2nd that, it wont retract at the wrong angle or if you try and hold it in your hand..
Old 17-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #19
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Thank you both, I was indeed holding it in my hand and trying to hold it at the right angle and was getting very angry so I stepped away from it for a while and played with my dog instead lol

I'll try again shortly, just hoping I took enough pics of the old belt for reference!

The belt I got from the local wreckers is marked as coming from a BA Falcon but it looks exactly the same as the one in my AU III, cost me $50 delivered which I thought was pretty good (I also scored a really nice headlight for $55 at the same time too)

Old 30-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Check “Empowered Auto Parts” for the brakes, they do good prices, fast delivery ex-RDA warehouses. Sometimes there’s a voucher on Fleabay that makes it cheaper again than the online store they operate. I bought dimpled and slotted front brakes for the AU II for about $180 including pads, about six weeks ago.

Exercise every caution and then some with the trans fill/level plug.
I ordered front dimpled/slotted discs with pads from them for $186.
Their local warehouse is literally a 10 minute drive away.

Old 30-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #21
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Anybody happen to have a fuse listing at all?
I checked them yesterday but they all seemed file, but I don't know what the functions are so I want to double check.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #22
knightmayre
Starter Motor

Angry Seat Belt / Fuses

I can't fit the set belt fitted at all, I've got two from the wreckers and I can't work out how they go in... I end up with doubled up webbing at the buckle. Every time.
I'm not pulling the trim off the passenger side in case I bugger that too.
Any help greatly appreciated as it's going into get her RWC done on Monday and I'd rather do the belts rather than pay them to fix it

Still can't find the legend for the fuses either as I need to see if somethings not quite right as the clock died and the doors won't lock either. They were fine about a week or so ago.