Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default difference between Fairlane and TL50 grilles

Hi guys, no time no post.
Anyhow I recently bought myself a new old stock TL50 grille surround for my S1 Lane and I have noticed some differences with the mounting method.
The Lane/LTD grille mounts are the same with the upper mounts on the radiator support and headlight brackets and the 2 lower tangs slotted into the lower slot in the headlight bracket.
The TL50 grille surround upper mounts are direct into the radiator support and it seems I have to drill 2 new holes for the outer mounts instead of the scrivet into the headlight bracket.
The TL50 grille surround has no lower tangs, how is this secured?

Would appreciate any advice or detailed pics, especially on an original TL grille.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

PS, if you want a TL grille surround, they are on eBay at the moment, new old stock.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: difference between Fairlane and TL50 grilles

Tl grille lower mount is scrivted into top of the bar (bar must be drilled)

I almost bought one but worthless without mesh
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Smile Re: difference between Fairlane and TL50 grilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Tl grille lower mount is scrivted into top of the bar (bar must be drilled)

I almost bought one but worthless without mesh
Thanks Marty, 😀
Yeah I'm not gonna be drilling into the bumper so double sided tape it is!
Funny how they went for a totally different mounting method when all the existing stuff would have been fine.
As for the mesh, I am not worried about getting the exact woven mesh, I will use what I have for now and see what I can find later to replace it.

All the best,
Andrew.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
JR.
Once more with feeling

TL50 Grill 101 from my experience...

TL grill came in two pieces; Ford charged something like $90 for the genuine plastic surround, but they stung you $1200 for the woven stainless mesh.

The 4 top tangs scrivet directly to the radiator support panel - IIRC two new holes need to b drilled for the outer two TL top support tabs.

Top of mesh was welded with a hidden steel bar that was riveted to top edge of plastic surround. The bottom was attached to the bumper by the 4 lugs you can see in the pic above. Those lugs were part of the mesh piece - a bar is welded to the folded bottom edge of the mesh that has those 4 metal rods, which then poke through the surround & into holes in bumper. There's minimal spots of tape around those lugs to allow some movement in case of accident.

If the ones on ebay don't have those 4 holes, they're not genuine NOS, they're aftermarket copies.

If they are genuine, absolutely buy it ASAP. The exact mesh is easy to source for around $100

Last edited by JR.; 19-07-2016 at 02:12 AM.
JR. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2016, 02:10 AM   #5
JR.
Once more with feeling

This is the complete genuine front grill I got from the wreckers way back when it was being repaired and copied by the fibreglass guys.

This is the fibreglass surround & mesh in the copies that Mark now sells... Exact same style of woven steel mesh, i just believe the spacing is fractionally smaller between each metal strand...

2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
This is the complete genuine front grill I got from the wreckers way back when it was being repaired and copied by the fibreglass guys.

This is the fibreglass surround & mesh in the copies that Mark now sells... Exact same style of woven steel mesh, i just believe the spacing is fractionally smaller between each metal strand...

That's a big help JR. Thanks

Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
twodogs 260

HI everyone , i have bought a genuine TL 50 grille surround to install into my fairlane , painting and fitting to car all good have skill to do , my question is about the woven mesh used to do the insert . What was the specifications and wire size of an original mesh insert ?? is the square 5.6mm in size and thickness .9mm and what is the best way to attatch to the surround after cutting to size and shape - sikkaflex ?? cheers for the advice
twodogs 260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #8
Fairlane Al

JR, does someone now make a reproduction TL50 grille? Details on who does it and how much you're looking at for one?
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al View Post
JR, does someone now make a reproduction TL50 grille? Details on who does it and how much you're looking at for one?
Hi Al,
there is a TL50 surround on ebay at the moment, last one apparently.

I think it is from Bayford spares in Melbourne.

Cheers.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs 260 View Post
HI everyone , i have bought a genuine TL 50 grille surround to install into my fairlane , painting and fitting to car all good have skill to do , my question is about the woven mesh used to do the insert . What was the specifications and wire size of an original mesh insert ?? is the square 5.6mm in size and thickness .9mm and what is the best way to attatch to the surround after cutting to size and shape - sikkaflex ?? cheers for the advice
Hi mate,
I have used a temporary grille held by hot glue until I can source a mesh I like.

I will then attach some plastic or metal clips with Sikaflex etc so I can replace the mesh without replacing the sealant/glue.

As for the surround itself, I had to heat it with a paint strip gun to make it line up with the headlights and bonnet 100%.

I used stick on Velcro to attach to the top of the bumper instead of the Tickford fitted rivets.

-Andrew.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
85zl
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post

Do you have the details on who makes the reproduction TL50 grill?
1985 ZL Fairlane. Dark Champagne, Aussie Desert Cooler, Ross Harmonic Balancer, High Energy Sump, 40tho over 85ZL block, 87 unleaded head. ACL pistons, 200c.i. rods, Camtec Cam, T5 manual, 17"CSA rims with Goodyear Revspec 225,245/35, Allsprings Springs and bars,rwhp lots

2002 AUII Ute XLS, 5.0L, Auto, Factory Sports Suspension, 16" Rims, Monsoon Blue, Warm Charcoal Interior, Hard Cover.

My other past time www.skiff.org.au
85zl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
RED666
Formerly TassieTE50

Anyone know if the repo grilles got off the ground??
RED666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post