Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default do our cars/utes have black boxes

re Tiger Woods,
The Genesis SUV he was driving crossed through two oncoming lanes and uprooted a tree on a downhill stretch that police said is known for wrecks.

Woods is in Florida recovering from multiple surgeries.

After the crash, detectives obtained a search warrant for the SUV's data recorder, known as a black box.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva would not say what data had been found.

"A cause has been determined, the investigation has concluded," Mr Villanueva said during a live social media event Wednesday.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: do our cars/utes have black boxes

Most modern cars do...Ford does.
Needs a court order to access.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess insurance companies trying to get out of a single car claim?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The airbag computer or RCM locks a range of data in, if the safety devices are triggered. Speed, RPM, gear, brake force, ABS status, steering input. Probably much more data in high end cars.

It’s extremely rare for the RCM data to be admissible as evidence in a legal matter, due to issues with chain-of-custody and veracity of data interpretation technology.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldnt have called it "the black box"
but vehicles with engine management systems usually withhold some data
had a situation my self in the truck a few years back out bush where a cop reckoned i was speeding as i came over a hill where they and the rta had had a temp road side truck inspection site set up (like a mobile road worthy station) and he was going on intuition that i was speeding and wanted the rta to plug in the computer to show
they declined , but booked me a defect for a (1) loose bolt on my turntable which isnt all that uncommon on older trucks
funny part was they were there when i went out loaded and i knew they were going to be there on my return
and i knew most of them , and them me as a few weeks prier (and not the first time) in a similar area out bush and in my truck i was the first responder to an accident doing the same run and called it in and stayed till they arrived and i had done details , which surprised the cop that wanted to ping me when most the others knew me

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

typically the RCM has a rolling store of about 7 seconds of data - speed, pedal positions, steering angle etc. This is usually on a loop, but if the airbags or pretensioners etc fire it's saved

we use this internally and case in point was when a driver swore blind she had her foot hard down on the brake, but the RCM data proved it was the accelerator
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone remembers the accident a bit over 12 months ago with the 3 or 4 kids walking to get an ice cream killed by the blue Triton in western Sydney. Apparently the investigators have determined according to the media the speed of the vehicle at the time and also the lack of braking. I believe this was extracted from the cars onboard computer/ BCM or whatever it is called.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Perhaps so, but as for many such events it wasn’t ultimately “tested” - the accused entered a guilty plea.

The data retention is not mandated and an ongoing case in South Australia has seen defence submit that pre-collision data is not available in this instance.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

My ol van has a black box (sometimes 2) doesn't have a computer though.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #10
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There was a murder case solved in Perth in 2008, using the data retained by the TomTom used in the vehicle taking the bodies to a bush burial site. The crims had turned off their mobiles, but the TomTom retained the data which was extracted by TomTom in Netherlands.
I don't know if the data from every satnav in a vehicle can be extracted in this way.

Quote from "WAtoday":
After being sent off to Holland to be examined by the GPS company's technicians, data was retrieved in the same fashion as a mobile phone showing the frequent drives to Chittering in the days leading up to the murder.
It was from this that police finally had an area on which to focus their search for the unmarked grave.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2021, 11:41 PM   #11
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

There is a company in Willetton who extracts the data for RAC on the sus claims, cant really say the company name as I think its supposed to be hush hush, I was told that they often deny claims that are not legit using this method, I have in the past towed a few cars to them and have seen them at Pickles doing fatal cars.

I remember 1 was a BMW coupe, they extracted that it had 2 impacts within 10 minutes of each other, 1 was a low impact crash with braking at 38k's enough to register but not enough to set off the airbags, the second one was at 67ks, no brakes and set off the airbags, the owner was stating that he was run off the road by another car and hit a pole, they confronted him with the evidence and he withdrew the claim, I had to tow the car to there from Pickles then back to the owner once done.

I dont know if the owner was charged or not as I only got the info from one of the workers, I wasnt actually allowed to know any details.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post