Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default plug and socket replacement course

hi everyone

was wondering what short courses there are to fix small appliances and attach flexible cords to things that don't have a cord on them such as hardwired things to make them plug in and replace broken cords.

do know there is a plug and socket replacement short course to add to testing and tagging one, would that cover replacing cords too and attaching cords to things that are normally hardwired to make them plug in.

would the plug and socket course cover all shaped plugs and sockets and

would the plug and socket course also cover building power boards and/or a 10-15 amp adaptor using approved components such as those ip66 enclosures and sockets and rcbo, not talking about those dodgy ones with no overload, talking about the style that jaycar sell and the amphibian that have overload and rcd protection
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 02:00 AM   #2
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: plug and socket replacement course

That's all part of the restricted electrical licence. Back in my day it was part of my apprenticeship and gave me an "EW" restricted licence.

Look for REL restricted electrical licence course I guess, I only know Western Australia regs and trainers
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 02:32 AM   #3
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Though the REL (or my "EW") only covered repair/replace. With that licence your aren't free to design or do much else besides like for like. No virgin installations are technically allowed. It's only a repair licence.

Anything more than that requires full licence (trade). But even then supervision under a licenced contractor on top. IE not even a regular full licenced tradie electrician is allowed to design or install switchboards on their own - the regular tradie works for an employer with a contractors licence to cover that. They need a supervisor to sign off (technically), or get their own electrical contractors licence. So full electrians apprenticeship plus another course and exam is required if you want to be a contractor and legally install stuff for yourself
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone have heard there’s short appliances repair courses

With the plug and ext cord socket from test and tag training is it all plugs and sockets that go on flexible cords as in light sockets and iec computer plugs as well
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post