Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default bomb the moon

just watching seven news, N.A.S.A is planning on firing a missle followed by a probe, to measure if their's any water on the moon.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/new...9/M09-127.html

burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
just watching seven news, N.A.S.A is planning on firing a missle followed by a probe, to measure if their's any water on the moon.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/new...9/M09-127.html
It would appear then that Seven news is trying to sensationalise it.

It's not a missile, it's the upper stage of the satellite being sent to detect water vapor in the ejectile. I'd be shocked if the stage hadn't depeleted its fuel prior to impact. Calling it a missile is disingenuous, IMO.

There are actually people out there that are concerned that this event will knock the moon out of Earth's gravitational pull. :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The "missile" will be out of fuel well and truly before it gets near the moon. Just need to get it into space and Newton's 1st Law of Motion and the moons gravity will do the rest.

I heard the 7 news report and its irresponsible the way they reported that we are bombing the moon.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i understand it as high impact, to atomize the moon creator so it can be measured by the second probe.
that will allso crash a little later.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

coon i snack 2.0
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Maybe the seppo's think there are terrorists up there.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listening to Merrick's funny as rant on Nova this morning - he think's it's a conspiracy by the US military. That they are infact firing a newage weapon of mass destruction to measure what happens because they cannot do it on Earth because sensors all around the world will pick up the shockwaves etc etc.. Was amusing

I can't wait to see the footage though, will be interesting
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Water on the moon?? It's made of cheese isn't it! Just ask any 5 yr old ...they'll tell you.

What's the purpose of it? Why are they wanting to know if there is water on the moon?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

looking forward to the video release . i hope some smart person posts the link up in this thread . what time in nsw would this take place ? how soon would they release video for downloading ?
what an exciting time we live in .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Water on the moon?? It's made of cheese isn't it! Just ask any 5 yr old ...they'll tell you.

What's the purpose of it? Why are they wanting to know if there is water on the moon?
I suspect that in my lifetime, man will build a base on the moon (whether under the guise of exploration or for the purpose of mining...) If we can determine that water is abundant and not too far under the surface of the moon then it'll cut down the logistics by quite a margin - to generate air to breathe and water to drink.

IIRC, NASA have already sent a craft to impact the moon in the late 90's - which didn't detect any signs of water in the resulting plume.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
looking forward to the video release . i hope some smart person posts the link up in this thread . what time in nsw would this take place ? how soon would they release video for downloading ?
what an exciting time we live in .
I believe it's being streamed live. I haven't being paying much attention since it'll likely be overcast tonight and I can't be arsed to unpack a telescope (which, by all accounts, should be able to view the plume of particulate) but I think it's ~10pm local Sydney time (I could be WAY out and be quoting another time zone's ETA).

I'm pretty sure it'll be up on youtube shortly afterwards though. I'm sure you could probably go there to view past moon impacts.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, NASA sent a number of manned missions to the moon in the sixties & early seventies, did all sorts of scientific testing, even had a drive around moon hooning in a buggy, then went back home - maybe they forget to do one scientific test and decided to have one last crack at it.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Why don't we just ask Armstrong and Aldrin...... Wats Up ! Mate

Last edited by divine_afg; 09-10-2009 at 07:22 PM.
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Interesting, NASA sent a number of manned missions to the moon in the sixties & early seventies, did all sorts of scientific testing, even had a drive around moon hooning in a buggy, then went back home - maybe they forget to do one scientific test and decided to have one last crack at it.
It's considered that the majority of the water on the moon is likely at its poles... where none of the Apollo missions landed.

Apollo astronauts did test for water as well as scientists who studied samples brought back from those missions. None was found. It's hardly surprising since any water near the surface where they landed would evaporate very quickly.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It's considered that the majority of the water on the moon is likely at its poles... where none of the Apollo missions landed.

Apollo astronauts did test for water as well as scientists who studied samples brought back from those missions. None was found. It's hardly surprising since any water near the surface where they landed would evaporate very quickly.
What about conspiracy theories
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
What about them?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It does seem odd. Just seems a lazy way to find out and I cant see what they will gain from it. Its bad to pollute and damage earth but ok to smash things into the moon.

They better not break it!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
It does seem odd. Just seems a lazy way to find out and I cant see what they will gain from it. Its bad to pollute and damage earth but ok to smash things into the moon.

They better not break it!
Refer above. A whole lot less replenish missions for air and water when they colonise the moon.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Zubrin's book The Case For Mars has a chapter about the moon. The book is primarily about how (and why) man should send explorers to Mars, showing what rockets should be used, what spacecraft, types of landing craft, even how astronauts could make their own fuel by reducing the "soil" and atmosphere of Mars into hydrogen and oxygen.

One chapter of this book speaks about the Moon and why we should not go there on the way to Mars (not that we simply should ignore the Moon, just not use it as a way point). One argument is that in order to get water out of the moon you would have to mine and refine the very rocks to obtain hydrogen and oxygen, then make water with those. NASA has stated that water per se is incredibly rare on the moon, if it exists at all. At zero atmospheric pressure ice sublimes straight to water vapour, the same as dry ice does in Earth.

The experiment is not really to find H20, but hydrogen and oxygen.

Either that, or to test a new weapon supplied by the Illumanitai, or to subdue terrorists who seek weapons of mass distruction...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Not exactly a great area they explored....

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
zdcol71
zdcol71

It's obvious to me, given that the moon is primarily made up of cheese, water will be required to sustain the feed lots that McDonalds are obviously planning on establishing there, to enable them to feed the rest of the known inhabitants of the solar system with the ubiquitous quarter pounder and cheese.
Ps, I know it wasn't that funny... but don't laugh!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
Zubrin's book The Case For Mars has a chapter about the moon. The book is primarily about how (and why) man should send explorers to Mars, showing what rockets should be used, what spacecraft, types of landing craft, even how astronauts could make their own fuel by reducing the "soil" and atmosphere of Mars into hydrogen and oxygen.

One chapter of this book speaks about the Moon and why we should not go there on the way to Mars (not that we simply should ignore the Moon, just not use it as a way point). One argument is that in order to get water out of the moon you would have to mine and refine the very rocks to obtain hydrogen and oxygen, then make water with those. NASA has stated that water per se is incredibly rare on the moon, if it exists at all. At zero atmospheric pressure ice sublimes straight to water vapour, the same as dry ice does in Earth.

The experiment is not really to find H20, but hydrogen and oxygen.

Either that, or to test a new weapon supplied by the Illumanitai, or to subdue terrorists who seek weapons of mass distruction...
Recent findings contradicts those notions. Water appears to be abundant in certain areas which is why NASA wants to throw a spacecraft at the moon.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
It's obvious to me, given that the moon is primarily made up of cheese, water will be required to sustain the feed lots that McDonalds are obviously planning on establishing there, to enable them to feed the rest of the known inhabitants of the solar system with the ubiquitous quarter pounder and cheese.
Ps, I know it wasn't that funny... but don't laugh!!!
You see, that's what I consider the ulterior motive. What wine should they go up there with to match the cheese.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the water is to make rocket fuel ( hydrogen and oxygen) . thy will then be able to use the moon as a staging point for deeper space exploration including a mars mission. with the lower gravity of the moon less fuel will get them further into space and allow more fuel for a return
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Here's a link to the LCROSS site:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LC...ain/index.html

There's a timer till impact plus a link to the live feed
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #26
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:

Nothing in particular just making a point that they exist and what if one day the "truth" is revealed/leaked.
Would obviously make everything a lie
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Nothing in particular just making a point that they exist and what if one day the "truth" is revealed/leaked.
Would obviously make everything a lie
Considering there's overwhelming evidence that man roamed the moon, I'm not particularly concerned about the 'truth' from nutcases.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #28
Rangas GTP

Sky news channel 601 have live coverage of the collision from 10.00pm

Time of impact is 10.31pm
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Prelim on NASA TV, thankfully iinet gets it for free.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #30
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

From what i've read in the past, it is believed the Moon has a significant quantity of Helium 3 (He3), if you want to get your geek on, google it and see how they reckon it can be used as "rocket fuel".
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post