Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR6 Prices

I'm currently looking at getting some sort of XR6. I have about $8,000 to spend and am quite keen on one at the moment ('02 VCT).
So I just thought I'd see what people reckon that they're worth, as they seem to vary quite a bit in price. Also, if the one I am looking at is reasonably priced.
So if anyone can give me a general idea of what they're going for, that would be great!

Cheers, Anthony

Old 29-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

simply put - look on carsales and have a guess. Get one with under 200k on the clock that looks like it hasn't been abused and you'll be laughing.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 29-01-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
simply put - look on carsales and have a guess. Get one with under 200k on the clock that looks like it hasn't been abused and you'll be laughing.
Well most of the ones I've been looking at (Series 3) have been around the $10k. I'm been on carsales etc. constantly lately,
I just thought I'd check with others to see how realistic these prices really are.

Cheers, Anthony
Old 29-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

having a second look at it - $8k is really pushing it for an AU3 with VCT. You're either going to get an abused one or you need to do one of three things: older model, HP motor or more dosh.

oh and carsales.com.au is pretty much the litmus test for prices. what is 'realistic'? i mean if they're all about the $15k mark, then thats what people will pay. or if they're all around the $7k mark, then thats what people will pay. they aren't gtho's, price isn't speculation.

i never really worry about the purchase price of a car - its the condition and running costs and likelihood of longevity that interest me.
Old 29-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
having a second look at it - $8k is really pushing it for an AU3 with VCT. You're either going to get an abused one or you need to do one of three things: older model, HP motor or more dosh.

oh and carsales.com.au is pretty much the litmus test for prices. what is 'realistic'? i mean if they're all about the $15k mark, then thats what people will pay.

i never really worry about the purchase price of a car - its the condition and running costs and likelihood of longevity that interest me..
I take it that the one I'm currently looking at (assuming that there's nothing wrong with it) is a pretty good price then.
It's a 2002 VCT in meteorite. It's done 130,000kms, has momo, 6 stacker/premo sound, rebel kit, towbar and 18" BA XR8 rims. Worth the $8,000 then? You're quite right about the condition and running costs too.
Old 29-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
doktoravalanche

BAII"s with leather & premium sound and less than 100,00kms are going to trade at $10k......so shop around........
doktoravalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
I take it that the one I'm currently looking at (assuming that there's nothing wrong with it) is a pretty good price then.
It's a 2002 VCT in meteorite. It's done 130,000kms, has momo, 6 stacker/premo sound, rebel kit, towbar and 18" BA XR8 rims. Worth the $8,000 then? You're quite right about the condition and running costs too.
Well comparing with your best source of real-world info, carsales, yes. It also sounds like you could turn around and sell it for $10k.
Old 29-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktoravalanche
BAII"s with leather & premium sound and less than 100,00kms are going to trade at $10k......so shop around........
Going to trade and sale price are 2 different things.

And he wants an AU
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well comparing with your best source of real-world info, carsales, yes. It also sounds like you could turn around and sell it for $10k.
Seems I've found a good thing then. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it then.

And Dallas- definitely want an AU! :P
Old 29-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
Hmm I had a look on carsales but couldn't see a car matching your description. Is it advertised elsewhere? I've got mine (not VCT) for sale in the 'Cars for Sale' section if you havn't already had a look.

Regards
Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconxr68
Hmm I had a look on carsales but couldn't see a car matching your description. Is it advertised elsewhere? I've got mine (not VCT) for sale in the 'Cars for Sale' section if you havn't already had a look.

Regards
PM sent
Old 29-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Kryton

AU XR6's have started to become worth more than XR8's solely due to P plate laws.
XR6's and SV6's are the car of choice for most P platers these days.
If you want better resale value down the track, buy either of these.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

im going to sell my AU3 VCT manual its got 170 k on it and a few mods and i was thining $11K-ish so this thread has been quite helpful to make me think im not dreaming

if you want HP auto you can find them pretty cheap tho.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
AU XR6's have started to become worth more than XR8's solely due to P plate laws.
XR6's and SV6's are the car of choice for most P platers these days.
If you want better resale value down the track, buy either of these.
Not to mention they look way better then later model XR's *cough* BA/F *cough*
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

also worth adding. there are differences for buying a AU XR vs a BA XR.
BA's are like trim and wheels and interior but the same car in every way.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 31-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
urbancowboy

davway
i wouldn't say a XR6 is worth more than a XR8, although i see your point, i'd say that a XR6 is worth almost the same amount of money. No offense but by your reasoning a RS Impreza would be worth more than a WRX!
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
2002au
Define definitive

well if this helps, for an 02 model au xr6, series 3, manual, great condition and with only about 112,000 kms. i paid $8990
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002au
well if this helps, for an 02 model au xr6, series 3, manual, great condition and with only about 112,000 kms. i paid $8990
your in Tas tho things cars from the main land have more value :P

Old 31-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
JaguarDave

Quote:
oh and carsales.com.au is pretty much the litmus test for prices. what is 'realistic'? i mean if they're all about the $15k mark, then thats what people will pay. or if they're all around the $7k mark, then thats what people will pay.
that's an intersting take on things but I personally take asking prices on carsales.com with a grain of salt.

There is no mechanism on that site for viewing actual confirmed sale prices, just the initial asking ones. I'm not speaking about XR6's specifically but I know from watching carsales.com for over a year that there are an awful lot of decent Fords of various types for sale there that have been on offer for a very long time so the general level of asking prices may not always be generating interest that converts to sales.
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
your in Tas tho things cars from the main land have more value :P
I know your probably taking the **** but id pay more for a Tassie car, less k's, less traffic etc.

You should be able to find an AU3 XR6 for $8k, you can even pick up decent XR8's for $10k
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #21
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
davway
i wouldn't say a XR6 is worth more than a XR8, although i see your point, i'd say that a XR6 is worth almost the same amount of money. No offense but by your reasoning a RS Impreza would be worth more than a WRX!
AU XR6's are generally worth more than XR8's and that soley IS because of the P plate laws.
Most people coming off their P's arent going to be looking at a 10 year old XR8.
That makes the AU XR8 market very limited - usually to enthusiasts or people that dont want a big car loan (or debt).

Dont know why you think Subaru has anything at all to do with AU's and comparing them is just silly anyway - different markets for different people.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I know your probably taking the **** but id pay more for a Tassie car, less k's, less traffic etc.
sure was. but that makes sense

Old 31-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #23
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

At least and AUII or III, better brakes.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Id say between 8 and 10k is a fair call for a decent, clean AU2 or 3 XR6..

As most know, I paid 10k for my manual, rebel body kitted AU3 XR8, 110k klms with RWC and 6 mths reg.. Owner was asking 12k for the car.
The white one in Bris I looked at buying was also available to me for 10k with RWC and 6 mths reg.. Asking 11k, but had shagged clutch, so thats why I passed on it.

I know Im talkin XR8's, but I found while I was initially looking around at what to replace the GT-P with (and then again 6 odd months later after the GT-P had sold), asking prices were pretty much on par XR6 vs XR8. That was ultimatly a big reason why I chose the XR8 as a daily.. Apart from the better sound of the 8 and the better torque etc, there was virtually no diff in prices with I6 vs V8.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #25
urbancowboy

Quote:
Dont know why you think Subaru has anything at all to do with AU's and comparing them is just silly anyway - different markets for different people.
Silly? no i don't think so,

Quote:
AU XR6's are generally worth more than XR8's and that soley IS because of the P plate laws.
I was merely comparing the P-Plate law scenario to another type of car so again i ask. How is this any different from a Impreza RS (P-Plate legal) and Impreza WRX (Not P-Plate legal!) Sure they are apples and pears, but both have model variant's on both sides of the P-Plate law.

But another situation is that Apprentice mechanics are allowed to drive/own V8's and Turbo's on their P's because driving them is part of their job.
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #26
Kryton

WRX's are desirable to people off their P plates - AU XR8s arent, hence AU XRs being worth more.
Like the WRX, there is a bigger market for the AU XR6.
So, yes, your theory is silly.
The more desirable the car - the more it will be worth.
Supply and demand - plain and simple.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #27
urbancowboy

Quote:
WRX's are desirable to people off their P plates - AU XR8s arent, hence AU XRs being worth more.
Like the WRX, there is a bigger market for the AU XR6.
So, yes, your theory is silly.
The more desirable the car - the more it will be worth.
Supply and demand - plain and simple.
What ever!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
JaguarDave

Quote:
WRX's are desirable to people off their P plates - AU XR8s arent, .
I've read some stuff about XR8's in the past but this is news to me.

I haven't had P plates for about thirty five years but I sure find XR8's desireable (much more so than any XR6 or WRX) and a number of my friends who also being in their fifties are "off their P plates" and desire AU XR8's enough that they've actually gone out and bought them.

Actually what you stated is not news to me cos I don't actually believe you. What evidence do you have to back up your statement?
JaguarDave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #29
Day-mow
rexnet

WRX's are appealing. thats why im selling my XR6. to buy a WRX. anyone wanna buy mine?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

pop goes the rex gbox pop pop pop..sorry it had to be said.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post