Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
TonyBill

Default advice-shipping/finance interstate

i got a text from a guy chasing some parts for a falcon, im in western australia and he's in NSW. the parts in question are bucket seats, too big to post obviously. he said hes happy to pay for a courier. how does this process usually work?
its in my best interest to receive payment before packaging.
whats the best way to get a quote on the total shipping price?
and some couriers cheaper/better?
is it usually etiquette to provide a receipt saying the stuff has been delivered to the depot and is down in the hands of courier?
ive never dealt interstate before
cheers
tony

TonyBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Default Re: advice-shipping/finance interstate

have you tried calling "TNT" , "toll" ,"fastways" etc . any of the frieght companies. or "pack and send" .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
TonyBill

no i havent done anything yet. ive spoken to a few people and it seems like the best thing to do is tell the purchaser the dimensions and an estimate of the weight. tell them your address, they get a quote form their preferred courier and transfer money and on recption of funds get them to organise the courier to come to you
Old 15-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBill
no i havent done anything yet. ive spoken to a few people and it seems like the best thing to do is tell the purchaser the dimensions and an estimate of the weight. tell them your address, they get a quote form their preferred courier and transfer money and on recption of funds get them to organise the courier to come to you
Pretty much sums it up.

Do not let anything go till you have full payment.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think you'll find the major interstate companies will only accept freight if you have an account with them.

You might be forced to use a Pack and Send type even though it's more expensive.
Old 16-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
BlackXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think you'll find the major interstate companies will only accept freight if you have an account with them.

You might be forced to use a Pack and Send type even though it's more expensive.
http://www.aussiewide.com.au/

Used them many times, great to deal with for anything anywhere in Australia
BlackXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

As said above, never send anything unless you get payment in full.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I might ask in this thread since it's up...

I recently sold a set of wheels on eBay and the buyer is interstate and is happy to organise and pay for a courier to come pick them up. Now my question is do I pay the courier when he picks them up or is that all done on the buyers end?

And also do the wheels have to be packed to be couriered? If so what would you use to pack 4 wheels?

Cheers and sorry for the hijack.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
TonyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
I might ask in this thread since it's up...

I recently sold a set of wheels on eBay and the buyer is interstate and is happy to organise and pay for a courier to come pick them up. Now my question is do I pay the courier when he picks them up or is that all done on the buyers end?

And also do the wheels have to be packed to be couriered? If so what would you use to pack 4 wheels?

Cheers and sorry for the hijack.
i still have done zero research into the subject but i am also wondering if i need to package any of the gear. things like dash components kinda fragile, should be bubble wrapped etc?
Old 30-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any update to this?

i'm selling 5 mags at the moment and someone in another state has shown interest if i send them.. just wondering how to go about it?
Old 30-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
TonyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
any update to this?

i'm selling 5 mags at the moment and someone in another state has shown interest if i send them.. just wondering how to go about it?
i think tell them a rough volume and weight and get them to organise the courier is the way to go. still unsure as to whether its your responsibility to package or not
Old 30-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have sent wheels many times interstate via courier. If I don't have boxes to put them in I just cover the face in bubble wrap and then a sheet of thick cardboard front and back. I have used e-go.com.au and smartsend.com.au many times and highly recommend both. They both give online quotes so you know what it will cost upfront and can pass this on to the buyer if you (the seller) organise the courier. I have never sent seats or dash's etc but I would package them somehow.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I have used e-go.com.au and smartsend.com.au many times and highly recommend both
while i havnt used e-go myself, a bit of research quickly shows why they are not the best idea.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I guess if you are worried then make sure you take out insurance. I haven't had a problem with them in the dozen or so times I have used them.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Packaged at your end by you, or by courier themselves. So it comes down to which courier you use. For anything Ive sent, or received, it was always packaged by the sender, at my expense, or buyers if Im sending it.

Brand new carboard boxes in various sizes can be bought from Bunnings for about $4 for a smallish one which might hold a mag wheel (no tyre), some storage joints or removalists etc. Charge the cost plus a few bucks for fuel and time etc if you want. If it was wheels and tyres, Id pack em flat on a small pallet (half pallet) with outrside rim face facing inside to each other and bubble wrap probably. Ask the courier company if they have them, they might supply one at no cost. It really will depend on the trpt company what you will need to do.

Never pay for anything like boxes etc until the buyer has paid you in full, including shipping and packaging costs. If they say the courier will handle it, and the buyer pays them direct then fine, as long as they pay for the parts before they leave you, its not your problem if the courier doesnt do it well in that case.

Pack any loose area with newspaper, or old matress foam if youve got it laying around, use your imagination.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Greyhound Buses usually are pretty good, I sent a rear bumper off a Supra to Adelaide (am in Syd) for $50ish maybe?
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I have sent wheels many times interstate via courier. If I don't have boxes to put them in I just cover the face in bubble wrap and then a sheet of thick cardboard front and back. I have used e-go.com.au and smartsend.com.au many times and highly recommend both. They both give online quotes so you know what it will cost upfront and can pass this on to the buyer if you (the seller) organise the courier. I have never sent seats or dash's etc but I would package them somehow.
+1

I have used ego heaps of times for freight within QLD and sending from here to Perth with no problems. Very easy online quoting.

You can pay ego by credit card and they will send you the freight docs which you email to the sender so they can attach to the boxes.

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post