Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 Fairmont: Hissing sound from climate control display

There is a vaccuum tube behind a small vent at the top left of the clock. Today it started audibly hissing, the level changing with engine load.

With the message display centre removed I can put my fingertip on the tube and it will stick within a couple of seconds so it has decent suction. Maybe TOO much suction, like there's a vac pipe blocked somewhere else?

Since the hissing started this has also happened:

- Twice the transmission held first longer than normal, and when it did change to second it was quite hard.
- Once the trans/diff did a 'clunk' when pulling up to a stop.

But apart from that:

- Engine is idling fine. No surging, no stalling, no RPM wandering aimlessly.
- Power and response seems to be normal.
- No obvious vac leaks within the engine bay.
- Transmission only played up the 3 times out of a couple of hundred gear changes. Could be coincidence.

Any ideas why this tube has suddenly started making some noise? (Note it is actually a tube inside the MDC, nothing to do with the climate control actuators further inside the dash)

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: AU3 Fairmont: Hissing sound from climate control display

I don't think I can recall any vacuum lines to the MDC /climate control unit, but I do know that a lot of temperature sensors in climate control units work by sampling the cabin air with a small fan or vacuum pump which draws air past a temp sensor.

Are you sure the noise isn't caused by a noisy suction fan/pump in the MDC?
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.

Last edited by mif73; 14-02-2014 at 04:41 PM.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Well i just pulled out my mdc and guess what? There is a vac line plugged into it.
It looks like it is there to draw air over the cabin temp sensor thermistor.

I unplugged the fitting and there is a black filter type material on the end of the hose.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
Old 15-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
I unplugged the fitting and there is a black filter type material on the end of the hose.
At which end? When I unplugged the hose (MDC end) the end of the connector was just open. Maybe the filter helps reduce the noise and it's slipped through?
Old 15-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194 View Post
At which end? When I unplugged the hose (MDC end) the end of the connector was just open. Maybe the filter helps reduce the noise and it's slipped through?
The filter was on the hose end, not on the mdc fitting itself.

Old 15-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm... can you explain that a bit better? If you disconnect the hose from the MDC the filter is between the connector and the rubber hose? Still don't get it.
Old 16-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194 View Post
Hmm... can you explain that a bit better? If you disconnect the hose from the MDC the filter is between the connector and the rubber hose? Still don't get it.
The filter is actually stuffed inside the end of the hose about 10 to 20mm in (filter is not installed in the mdc itself).
I will see if i can take a pic tomorrow for you.