Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Ashwin
FordTarius

Default Control Arm bushing?

Hi folks.

I have delayed this as long as I could - but not anymore.

According to one of suspensions joints (whom I saw more than a year ago), I need some suspension bushes replaced. Namely:

1x FR Lower Control Arm Inner Bushes FR Bushes
1x Upper Inner Control Arm Bushes

Since I don't have own a press/never done this, am I better off getting a set of upper and lower arms and just swapping them over or would getting the bushes would be the cheaper route ? I would like to go SuperPro this time around, but unfortunately this detail is often missing from the ebay sellers.

My old fulcrum quote (~2012) at that time came to around $700 parts+labour . Sounded pricey back then and probably more now.

Any advice ?

thkx

-ash

Ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
ben131185

Default Re: Control Arm bushing?

having just gone through this, my advice would be to look on ebay for lower control arms, they're about $320 + post, they have the bushes and ball joints in them, they are non genuine but they look like good quality parts.

for the top just get 2 new rubber bushes, pull the arms out and take them to someone with a press and have them press out the old and in the new.

i did mine with whiteline and nolathane bushes, was a bit of a pain pressing out & in and they're a harsh ride, noisy and have now begun to make a squeaking /creaking sound on suspension movement, get the new arms and just swap them over heaps easier and will work out about the same price if u have a press or cheaper if you have to pay someone to do it.

good luck.
ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
Hi folks.

I have delayed this as long as I could - but not anymore.

According to one of suspensions joints (whom I saw more than a year ago), I need some suspension bushes replaced. Namely:

1x FR Lower Control Arm Inner Bushes FR Bushes
1x Upper Inner Control Arm Bushes

Since I don't have own a press/never done this, am I better off getting a set of upper and lower arms and just swapping them over or would getting the bushes would be the cheaper route ? I would like to go SuperPro this time around, but unfortunately this detail is often missing from the ebay sellers.

My old fulcrum quote (~2012) at that time came to around $700 parts+labour . Sounded pricey back then and probably more now.

Any advice ?

thkx

-ash
I changed my front suspension lower arm bushes without a press.
I drilled the rubber and used a reciprocating saw to loosen it up then used a bottle jack and some adapters between the bushes to push them out. (The big one at the front is the hardest to get out).
I then installed super pro bushes on the front and rear and the strut lower bush.

The lower inner super pros can be installed by hand.

Most hollow bushes can also be pressed in and out by a high tensile bolt or thread.

If you are unsure, you can take your control arms out and then go to a mechanic or suspension place to press out for you.
You could buy a secondhand set of control arms and get the new bushes and ball joints installed before you rip out your buggered ones.

Ps: a set of deep impact sockets and air tools is recommended for the arm removal/replacement.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Ashwin
FordTarius

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Since its my daily - I will try and source out some spare arms (w/wo bushes) and going that route.

On a related note, while having a look last nite , I noticed on the left front side - the sway bar link bush slightly squashed (pic attached).

1) Does it looks stuffed to you guys /What would be the common symptoms ?
2) Can new bushes be hand pressed or would that require a specialized tool ?
3) I am assuming that new bushes can be done in isolation without jacking up the car (been on ground level) -since there would be no pressure on the bar itself ?

thkx
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg swaylink.jpeg (66.6 KB, 67 views)
Ashwin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Since its my daily - I will try and source out some spare arms (w/wo bushes) and going that route.

On a related note, while having a look last nite , I noticed on the left front side - the sway bar link bush slightly squashed (pic attached).

1) Does it looks stuffed to you guys /What would be the common symptoms ?
2) Can new bushes be hand pressed or would that require a specialized tool ?
3) I am assuming that new bushes can be done in isolation without jacking up the car (been on ground level) -since there would be no pressure on the bar itself ?

thkx
It is a good move to get lower arms ready for the swap, saves a lot of time and uncertainty on a daily driver.

Make sure the replacement arms are AU2 to BF3, not AU1 as the sway bar mount is different.
If buying secondhand make sure the bushes and ball joints are excellent or preferably new.

The most critical and hardest to replace on these models are the front lower arm bush (the large bush) and the lower control arm ball joint , these two cop most of the load too.

The sway bar ball joint link looks ok as it is just the dust cover flexing, the only way to tell for sure is to remove it and articulate it while pulling and pushing and feeling for slack.
They are cheap and easy to replace, no pressing, just undo nut and slight tap with hammer.
Do it with front end lifted on both sides.
Symptoms of worn sway bar link may be knocking over potholes etc or excessive body roll?

Other components can cause the same symptoms too.

Being your daily, I would take off a Friday to start the pull down so that if you discover you need a special tool you can still get one Saturday morning.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post