Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Exemption from VicRoads

Hey guys, I'm going to try and get an exemption from P plate vehicle restrictions as I've acquired this thing:

It weighs 4082KG, but its got a diesel V8 under the hood.

I don't really want a work exemption, rather something I can drive all the time, because really it doesn't qualify as a "high powered vehicle" in my eyes, its got like 190hp at the engine when it was new.

What are my chances? I emailed VicRoads twice, and they just link me to the current vehicle restrictions.

These are the exemption laws:

Quote:
If your probationary licence was issued on or after 1 July 2007, you can drive some lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. The definition of a lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicle is a vehicle with six cylinders or less that is:
Mentions 6 cylinders or less, unfortunately I have 8.

I've got just under a year on Ps left before I go full license, if I can't get an exemption I might just wait it out while I modify the back.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-04-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Exemption from VicRoads

In NSW, you can drive Turbo Diesel and V8 Diesel without needing an exemption... Thought it would've been the same in Vic??
Old 22-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Outright ban on V8s here unfortunately.
Old 22-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Got to love the cut and paste reply that didn't answer your question...

Last time I did that, I replied asking the exact same question and added to not use copy and paste and actually reply to the question....

Good luck!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
nstg8a

How heavy does a truck need to be to require a mr license? Maybe get your mr and get around the rules that way?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I went in their office and asked two different people on two different occasions about the red flashing lights, if I could change them to amber lenses, and keep them rather than removing them all and leaving holes everywhere.

I got told the first time, that they aren't sure of the laws and that I should take them off anyway and patch up the holes.

The next time someone else told me I couldn't have amber because people would think I was SES.

Another person said to me on another time that as a P plater I couldn't have a heavy vehicle license, I'd have to be on my full license before I could go for the test, which is odd because I know of a few P platers with MR licenses.

I think it has to be over 4500kg to move up in category for higher license, also out of curiosity what is tare mean on the rego? It lists 3350kg under it, but GVM is 4082kg.
Old 22-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
nstg8a

I thought tare was what the basic truck weighs, and gross is what it weighs including everything.

I'm sure one of the local truckies will correct me if I'm wrong lol
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
BennyH

The only possible way around driving it is the fact that the power to weight ratio is so low, or if you get an exemption to use the vehicle directly for work purposes. By the way, what do you intend on doing with it?

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
The only possible way around driving it is the fact that the power to weight ratio is so low, or if you get an exemption to use the vehicle directly for work purposes. By the way, what do you intend on doing with it?
Ferry my militia around inside the back

Nah, I'd like to turn it into a man cave on wheels/camper van style thing.

I've already got an Xbox 360 for it, just need a TV, have to remove the stretcher locks and a few seats inside the back.

Its got 240V throughout it and rear aircon too.

I'll put up some more pics this weekend and my own build thread with plans and probably a video.

It moves its weight around pretty well compared to the Mercedes Sprinters, and there is lots more room available in the back of it.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Had a look at the Vicroads website, you are right, there appears to be no provision at all for P platers to drive V8 powered vehicles.

Absolutely ridiculous, when there are provisions for some turbo vehicles.

Many older V8's have far less performance than some modern 6's permitted.

Good luck, hopefully there is some way with getting an exemption Damo.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
BennyH

Thats exactly right, not a problem to drive my XR6 ute with 195kw, but yet it's illegal to drive a 1999 V8 commo that used to have 179kw back in the day. The system is completely flawed.

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The fundemental problem is Vicroads are idiots.

You could apply for and exemption. To to drive your lumbering hulk, including a pic.

Or buy an Ecoboost falcon that can run a 14.6 but is p plate legal. Did I mention they were idiots?
Old 22-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Kryton

Its up to the RWC tester if the red lights stay, not Vicroads.
As for a way around the exemption - good luck.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you have any desire to want to own a slow POS 5.0l when you got a FG that will run rings around it?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc View Post
Why would you have any desire to want to own a slow POS 5.0l when you got a FG that will run rings around it?

Because contrary to popular belief, not all people buy cars based on how fast or refined they are.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would tell them you are fitting the vehicle out as a motor home and see what they say.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
NeoBF
Always thinking...

Good luck mate, I recently contacted vicroads and the reply said that thy had no discretion to give exemptions unless it was for work or undue hardship (which is very conditional on where you can go).
It's a stupid and flawed system but unfortunately I don't think that there's going to be a way around it.
Old 23-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why would you want to have V8UTES as a numberplate when it's a 6 ?

Because it's yours, and you can drive what you like and do what you like with it!!

Don't be argumentative.
Old 23-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

The same reason why I went with a GMC Sierra rather than a Mercedes Sprinter, because I could.

Can a moderator merge this thread in with my project thread I just put up?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...50#post4709750

Thanks much.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 23-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
Thats exactly right, not a problem to drive my XR6 ute with 195kw, but yet it's illegal to drive a 1999 V8 commo that used to have 179kw back in the day. The system is completely flawed.
It is not the performance capability of the vehicle per se, it is the mindset of those who wish to drive them.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
It is not the performance capability of the vehicle per se, it is the mindset of those who wish to drive them.
My apprentice at work (17 year old) talks about doing burnouts, drifting blah blah blah, my mate has this car that car blah blah blah.

Wants me to do burnouts in my Falcon, etc (its was their Falcon then I bought it off them).

The best moment in his old mans life was when I let him sit in the drivers seat of the Falcon, and being 6'4" tall, he couldn't comfortably sit in the drivers seat, as in not being able to drive it .

The only cars he has driven on Ls that he fits in comfortably are FWD cars and things with transverse engines.

He's a Ford kid and won't dare bring home a Holden.

I think 90% of the problem is young kids in RWD cars with that mentality.

Driving home from night school last thursday I saw a bunch of P platers on the side of Mt Alexander rd coming back from Moonee Ponds, with their Commodore up the gutter and smashed into a light pole sideways, knocking it onto the road and screwing their car and these kids looking sad at their car while the police were booking them.
Old 23-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
The fundemental problem is Vicroads are idiots.
I can demonstrate your point and prove you correct.

I own a 1978 Ford D1211 truck with a 22ft beaver tail body. I use it once or twice a year to pick up a tractor or take one or two tractors to a steam/tractor rally.

The truck has a Gross Vehicle mass of 13000kg. It is designed as an 8 tonner. I rarely have more than 6 ton on the back. Any truck over 12000kg GVM for private use is a PITA because it comes under the fatigue management laws and you have to fill out a log book etc. I therefore came to the conclusion that if the truck was de-rated to 11900kg it would still suit my needs and would be cheaper to register and I wouldn't be having to fill out a log book.

This is how the conversation went with the idiot at Vic roads after I explained that I wanted the truck de-rated to 11900kg.

I was asked if Ford made such a truck. I answered yes. I was then asked what the difference was.My response was, smaller brakes, 6 litre engine instead of 6.2, 8.25x20 tyres on 8 stud wheels instead of 9:00x20 on 10 stud.

I was told I would have to fit the smaller brakes and tyres then get an engineers certificate.

How smart is that?

To the OP, common sense will not prevail so don't waste your time.

[/URL]
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LR is over 4500Kg GVM but less than 8000 Kg GVM with no limit on axles MR is over 8000 KG GVM with only 2 axles HR is same as MR but no axle restriction
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
How heavy does a truck need to be to require a mr license? Maybe get your mr and get around the rules that way?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sadly the only option is getting your full licence
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If anything, I might just take it to a friends place on back dirt roads every now and again to give it a run, he lives up in the hills where no one knows about 15 minutes away.

I'll probably service it this weekend.
Old 24-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #26
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The next time someone else told me I couldn't have amber because people would think I was SES.
dumb *****, SES have been able to run red and blue lights for years FFS, I am an ex VicSES Unit Controller, in a previous life I actually conducted a lot of training with SES people on running as emergency vehicles using red and blue lights, that was back pre-2000

I am pretty confident you could run orange lights without any compliance issues, your roadworthy bloke couldn't give a **** that is for sure, there would be nothing in the roadworthy process about orange flashing lights on the roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Another person said to me on another time that as a P plater I couldn't have a heavy vehicle license, I'd have to be on my full license before I could go for the test, which is odd because I know of a few P platers with MR licenses.

I think it has to be over 4500kg to move up in category for higher license, also out of curiosity what is tare mean on the rego? It lists 3350kg under it, but GVM is 4082kg.
You can get a MR licence after one year on P Plates and a HR after 2 years on P Plates BUT you don't need one to drive that and it will make no difference to the whole power to weight thing, save your money.

I wouldn't think that would conform to their determination of 'high performance'. I would make a written application to Vicroads, give all the details of the vehicle including the fact that is a V8 diesel and include photos, they will come back with an exemption I am pretty confident

Last edited by Trevor 57; 24-04-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
I can demonstrate your point and prove you correct.

I own a 1978 Ford D1211 truck with a 22ft beaver tail body. I use it once or twice a year to pick up a tractor or take one or two tractors to a steam/tractor rally.

The truck has a Gross Vehicle mass of 13000kg. It is designed as an 8 tonner. I rarely have more than 6 ton on the back. Any truck over 12000kg GVM for private use is a PITA because it comes under the fatigue management laws and you have to fill out a log book etc. I therefore came to the conclusion that if the truck was de-rated to 11900kg it would still suit my needs and would be cheaper to register and I wouldn't be having to fill out a log book.

This is how the conversation went with the idiot at Vic roads after I explained that I wanted the truck de-rated to 11900kg.

I was asked if Ford made such a truck. I answered yes. I was then asked what the difference was.My response was, smaller brakes, 6 litre engine instead of 6.2, 8.25x20 tyres on 8 stud wheels instead of 9:00x20 on 10 stud.

I was told I would have to fit the smaller brakes and tyres then get an engineers certificate.

How smart is that?

I have been out of the system for a while, but I am pretty confident that you only need a drivers diary (log book) if you are driving for 'hire or reward', the fact that it is your vehicle and you are not carrying goods for a fee (i.e. you are not being paid by someone to carry the goods) then you shouldn't have to carry a 'log book' I will stand corrected on this as it has been a while
Old 24-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #28
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I have been out of the system for a while, but I am pretty confident that you only need a drivers diary (log book) if you are driving for 'hire or reward', the fact that it is your vehicle and you are not carrying goods for a fee (i.e. you are not being paid by someone to carry the goods) then you shouldn't have to carry a 'log book' I will stand corrected on this as it has been a while
Thats what we understand it as to Trev,a mate has a bus with his race car in it while the weight is over it is a private registered vechical so no log book required although still required to stop at weigh bridges upon request. also you still have to old 100k rule from a home base . Doesn't help the OP much but that's bureaucrats for ya

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #29
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post

How smart is that?

image[/URL]
Ignore Vicroads on the modification process. Talk to a heavy vehicle engineer like Pm me if you need names. De rating the thing is an engineers job. Vicroads just do the paperwork.
Old 24-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on Elks