Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Perhaps reference to the government's restrictions will help clarify the situation with respect to mask wearing in Vic:
  • You must carry a face mask with you when you leave home.
  • Wearing a face mask is only mandatory on public transport, while in taxis or ride share vehicles, or when going to large retail venues, including shopping centres, supermarkets and department stores.
  • Wearing a face mask is strongly recommended indoors and outdoors when you can’t keep 1.5 metres distance from other people.

So, you do not need to wear a mask in a smaller store, where you can maintain 1.5m distance from other people. I get that it seems strange to have to wear a mask in a shopping centre or supermarket, but not your local butcher, for eg. But, I think this is just a risk based approach. Larger store are likely to have more people pass through them. Therefore, if someone is C-19 infected in that environment, they are likely to spread C-19 to more people than if someone was infected in a smaller shop.

I do appreciate that not wearing of masks will not prevent infection in smaller stores, should someone be CV-19 infected, but the numbers exposed to it are likely to be much less than larger, more attended stores.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #2
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, you do not need to wear a mask in a smaller store, where you can maintain 1.5m distance from other people. I get that it seems strange to have to wear a mask in a shopping centre or supermarket, but not your local butcher, for eg. But, I think this is just a risk based approach. Larger store are likely to have more people pass through them.
I believe the principle is, if you are in an environment that is not feasible to enforce QR coding for track and trace later on, then mask is required.

So shopping malls, where thousands of people are going in and out each day, would be impossible to enforce QR coding for every single customer, hence mask required. Small shops, where attendants can monitor and enforce customers coming in to QR code, no mask required.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Small shops, where attendants can monitor and enforce customers coming in to QR code, no mask required.
Been to quite a few small shops lately. Some have QR code. Some have a pen and paper where you have to fill in your name/phone number.

None of them are enforced. At all.

I don't feel comfortable with writing down my name and phone number. I haven't scanned QR at entry on a few occasions. There was no 'enforcing' by the shop attendant even though they were well aware that I hadn't filled in the form or scanned QR code. Maybe because I was wearing a mask?

The one time I didn't wear a mask, it was like I was glowing bright green with a death virus the way she overreacted. Scared the crap out of me!

Most small shops in VIC still display 'NO MASK NO ENTRY' signs at the door. Can a private shop owner overrule a government rule?
Old 14-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

We are coming down for 5 days and will mask up when in stores etc.

Will also remember to wash hands and/or sanitize as we go around. It takes 30 seconds so its not too hard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 13th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR drops to 3.269%. NSW recorded 3 cases, Victoria and WA recorded 1 reach.

4 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.193% and active cases drop to 56.

The UK had a lower 18,447 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 494 deaths.

Just over 220k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,309 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.843% and active cases remain at 39.9% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.5M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (it's a weekend again)
Asia passes 19M cases;
North America sets a new daily case high with 272,534 (11/12);
The USA completes 220M, India 153M, Turkey 21M, Denmark 8M, Pakistan & Israel 6M, Hungary 2M and M tests.

Uruguay (528) - 38% above the previous high;
Cyprus (625) - 49% above the previous high;
South Korea (1,030);
Japan (2,988); and
Azerbaijan (4,451);

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Here are a couple of graphs we haven't had for awhile.

First up, the continent based CMR where the global average is now down to 2.33%. Europe (2.3%), Oceania (2.22%) and Asia (1.64%) are all below that while South America (2.84%) has passed North America (2.34%) with the worst rate.

Next is the cases per 100k adult population for some selected countries. Globally, the average is 1,295.2 / 100k while Australia is 155.7 at the lower end and the USA is worst with over 8,000 / 100k, followed by Belgium (6,545) and Switzerland (5,319).

Deaths per 100k of population shows the global average now at 28.86/100k with Australia just over 5/100k and Belgium faring worst with 193/100k ahead of Italy (174.8) and the USA (146.6).

We have seen this one recently but the global case growth chart has been heading the wrong way for awhile now:

Last time we looked at the US modelling (only 10 days ago), we were predicting 18M cases by year end and 300k deaths. I've revised both models based on a less conservative number set, despite which the current case trend is still above my worst case model in which we'll likely see 20M cases by end of year. Actually, given we are currently at 16.8M and the 7 day average growth has been ~220k cases per day and there are 19 days left that would make roughly 4.2M cases and make the total closer to 21M. I'd expect a slight slowdown in identified cases during the Xmas break so that's likely to keep it closer to 20M.

We also predicted 300k deaths in the USA by year end but that total has already been surpassed so I've again revised the model. The current trend is now about level with the new upper predictive model, which shows ~340k deaths by year end and something like half a million by mid-February.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 14-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91
I dont even understand the mask rules.
Went to servo, bunnings, autobarn, bottleo, petstock and chemist today.
Bunnings and chemist 100% masks.
Everywhere else 0%, staff included, think maybe one customer in autobarn had one on.
I guess im too dumb to understand the science involved in that.
Sidenote, sportsbet should be running a few bets on time until hotel quarantine gets messed up.
Id take a multi on 12 days, Andrews does 3 handballs before 2nd inquiry.
Hardly anyone understands them. It's only supposed to be mandatory in supermarkets, shopping malls, and large department stores. But how do you classify what is large, and what isn't?

I think a lot of people still think you have to wear them in any store. But seriously, what is the point. No cases for 45 days. No other states have mask rules, just drop it already.
Old 14-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Hardly anyone understands them. It's only supposed to be mandatory in supermarkets, shopping malls, and large department stores. But how do you classify what is large, and what isn't?

I think a lot of people still think you have to wear them in any store. But seriously, what is the point. No cases for 45 days. No other states have mask rules, just drop it already.
Just wear one in side until you’re told not to.
Old 14-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I like to wear a mask so I don't have to worry about brushing my teeth
Old 14-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I like to wear a mask so I don't have to worry about brushing my teeth
I would think that wearing a mask would remind you to brush your teeth

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today was the first day of compulsory checkin in SA, I was in and out of shops all day. The QR code was quick and easy. But my concern is the manual checkin on paper for non phone types, they are nothing more than incomprehensible scribble, and in Big W it is positioned at the BACK of the store ��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Today was the first day of compulsory checkin in SA, I was in and out of shops all day. The QR code was quick and easy. But my concern is the manual checkin on paper for non phone types, they are nothing more than incomprehensible scribble, and in Big W it is positioned at the BACK of the store ��
I have never heard of anything like this over here in the US

well maybe at a hospital or summat but you'd be signing in there anyway if you were a patient anyway.

Signing in at a store?

What is the point of that level of tracing?

We had a thing last February right near me , a pharma company function that according to the news may have spawned 300,000 cases , it took them 10 months to tell us so of what use was all that tracing when you would feel sick a few days after infection?

If you give up that power to trace your movements to a government they will never give it back . No government can be trusted with that.
Old 15-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post

well maybe at a hospital or summat but you'd be signing in there anyway if you were a patient anyway.

Signing in at a store?

We had a thing last February right near me , a pharma company function that according to the news may have spawned 300,000 cases , it took them 10 months to tell us so of what use was all that tracing when you would feel sick a few days after infection?

If you give up that power to trace your movements to a government they will never give it back . No government can be trusted with that.
This is a good insight into America's woes, thanks.

The local governments can barely sort out car rego correctly.

AFAIK a business owner can do what they like, serve who they like if its all within the law.

If it was my own business, and I felt the need to make sure sign in/QR is mandatory then so be it, I am protecting my staff and potentially helping tracing in the event of an outbreak.

I dont actually put my real mobile number in if manually signing in, if poo hits the fan then I am fairly confident ol'Govco will find people easy enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Signing in at a store?

It’s exactly that level of contact tracing and swift action that lifted SA out of even harsher prolonged lockdown. Quickly knowing where cases have been before it spreads is the reason SA will be able to visit family this Christmas.
God help the US,Biden will have to do something drastic to undo the damage the Cheeto in chief has wrought on the corona virus front.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1
Just wear one in side until you’re told not to.

More like don't wear one unless someone in the store says they require it. If they do, that's fine.

Stores should have a sign on the front door if they require you to wear a mask. JB Hi-fi did, so you put one on to go in. Other similar size stores have nothing, so just assume they don't require one unless you are asked. Jeez it can't be that difficult can it?
Old 15-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #16
PhilT2

We all willingly carry a tracking device with us which allows the govt to find us anytime they want. It also keeps a record of where we have been. If you think signing into a store is going to give the govt information they don't already have then you are living in the last century.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
We all willingly carry a tracking device with us which allows the govt to find us anytime they want. It also keeps a record of where we have been. If you think signing into a store is going to give the govt information they don't already have then you are living in the last century a state of delusion.
Amended for accuracy.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 15-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yer min wage is to wrestle some one to the ground ! good way to hype it up
donno bout your back water maccas store but for a small nation we generally have quite a few workers at our stores usually consiting of a few managers , and their first responce to an issue is to refuse service and ask to leave then call the cops , not wrestle to the ground

disclaimer i for one dont like giving any info i dont need to even to the cops

the gov has been advertising they are asking this to happen so not expecting it when entering a store is unlikely , so like me dont go to them , thete are other optionso
yes it can hurt the store , which isnt your problem when asked to fill out the book or leave

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 15-12-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 15-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #19
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
yer min wage is to wrestle some one to the ground ! good way to hype it up
donno bout your back water maccas store but for a small nation we generally have quite a few workers at our stores usually consiting of a few managers , and their first responce to an issue is to refuse service and ask to leave then call the cops , not wrestle to the ground

disclaimer i for one dont like giving any info i dont need to even to the cops

the gov has been advertising they are asking this to happen so not expecting it when entering a store is unlikely , so like me dont go to them , thete are other optionso
yes it can hurt the store , which isnt your problem when asked to fill out the book or leave

Ya like our cops come if you call them

Anyway , the manager of every store would be calling at least 5 times a day.

We have angry covid warriors on both sides. The never maskers who go into stores unmasked looking to start drama and film it on the phone, and the karens that scold random strangers .

The scolds are usually women. I was in a walmart the other day asking the electronics dude if they had any wifi signal boosters , the kind that plug into an outlet to extend the router signal to the other end of your house.

Some chick literally runs over to us and points at an old man you has a mask but his nose is out. "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT!!!!' she wants the old man arrested or something for daring to have the tip of his nose out.

I pulled my mask down and wheezed at her and laughed . The worker looked at me like oh jesus here we go again

It happens all the time !

The same store I'm walking up to the door a different day , pulling my mask on and this woman walking out pulls hers off and looks at me and says "I HATE THESE F##King masks! " I'm like do I know you?

I wasn't interacting with her , maybe she thought she recognized me or whatever. Why tell me your problem lady?

Whatever minimal level of politeness we had is down around 0.0 now.
Old 15-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #20
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

We are travelling back from a family gathering @ Nagambie in central Victoria - it was a party town. No masks, QR codes/sign-ins at venues but no really enforced, hand sanitiser bottles often empty, huge BBQs at the holiday park and some sort of market/party in the centre of town.

As soon as we crossed the Murray into Tocumwal things were strictly enforced again with each pub having a COVID Marshall, appropriate distancing and sign-ins enforced. More masks as well.

Happy to be back over the right side of the border.
Old 15-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
We are travelling back from a family gathering @ Nagambie in central Victoria - it was a party town. No masks, QR codes/sign-ins at venues but no really enforced, hand sanitiser bottles often empty, huge BBQs at the holiday park and some sort of market/party in the centre of town.

As soon as we crossed the Murray into Tocumwal things were strictly enforced again with each pub having a COVID Marshall, appropriate distancing and sign-ins enforced. More masks as well.

Happy to be back over the right side of the border.
Nothing enforced in QLD. I was at the convention centre on Saturday. I was asked if I had a ticket. "Yes". OK off you go.

I think you will find compliance is variable.
Old 15-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 14th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

9 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR drops to 3.238%. NSW recorded 3 cases, Victoria, Queensland, SA, WA and the NT recorded 1 each.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.193% and active cases remain at 56.

The UK had a higher 20,263 cases yesterday and -118 deaths after making (another) adjustment..

Just under 195k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,403 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.838% and active cases rise to 40.1% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 73M with the last 1M taking 2 days;
South America passes 12M cases;
The USA completes 222M, India 154M, Russia 83M, UK 48M, Ukraine 5M and Hungary 2M tests.

Only Syria (136); and
Canada (8,119)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 16-12-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 15-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #23
PhilT2

The shop owner can within limits, choose who he serves. There would be an issue if he refused service on the grounds you were black, gay, muslim, disabled or female. These are all covered by the Anti-discrimination Act. But kick you out for not wearing a mask, I'm sure he could.

One of the interesting stories on tracing the movement of people is the Skripal poisoning in the uk. Although the Russian agents had long gone, a picture of their movements was built up from airport, railway and shop cctv. Use of credit cards added to the picture. A full history of their every movement was developed. At great expense I presume.

I've had to adjust to the sad reality that the govt really does not give a rat's about me so
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what they know about me.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I mistrust curation of data, as it may be grossly - yet convincingly - misrepresented should you wish to challenge incumbent authority (eg, pursue an elected office or defend a spurious allegation). I’d be less mistrustful if our data laws were bound as for EU members.

To return slightly to core topic, a neighbour’s brother (in the Irish Republic) is right at that seemingly pivotal 10-12th day stage with coronavirus, where it’ll either bite hard or start to mend. Apparently he’s overweight and underfit. Unsurprisingly, poor neighbour’s on edge.
Old 16-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #25
mostly_broncos

Quote:
The shop owner can within limits, choose who he serves. There would be an issue if he refused service on the grounds you were black, gay, muslim, disabled or female. These are all covered by the Anti-discrimination Act. But kick you out for not wearing a mask, I'm sure he could.

One of the interesting stories on tracing the movement of people is the Skripal poisoning in the uk. Although the Russian agents had long gone, a picture of their movements was built up from airport, railway and shop cctv. Use of credit cards added to the picture. A full history of their every movement was developed. At great expense I presume.

I've had to adjust to the sad reality that the govt really does not give a rat's about me so
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what they know about me.
The Skripal thing is fake news . Practically the plot of a movie . An entire country can just go shoot someone they don't like anytime they want. The theory that they would concoct a sharks with laser beams plot straight out of an Austin Powers movie that then predictably doesn't work is ridiculous
Old 16-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #26
PhilT2

Quote:
The Skripal thing is fake news . Practically the plot of a movie . An entire country can just go shoot someone they don't like anytime they want. The theory that they would concoct a sharks with laser beams plot straight out of an Austin Powers movie that then predictably doesn't work is ridiculous
So you definitely believe that govt's don't ever do anything stupid?
Old 16-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #27
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
I don't think he actually said anything of the sort so don't try to hijack the discussion with your own agenda.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #28
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I see NSW has recorded the state's first locally acquired coronavirus infection since a hotel quarantine worker tested positive at 1.30am on Thursday, December 3.

Mr Hazzard said the man "drives vans carrying international and other aircrew back and forth to the airport" and the company is based in Alexandria, in Sydney's inner city.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...-case/12988866

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 16-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
mostly_broncos

Quote:

I think if russia wants some guy dead they just shoot him with one bullet.

If the usa wants someone dead they use a 90,000 hellfire missile shot from a drone .

In fact the ridiculous over-complicated nature of this botched killing makes me think its probably a made in the USA false flag.
Old 17-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #30
leesa

Quote:
I think if russia wants some guy dead they just shoot him with one bullet.

In fact the ridiculous over-complicated nature of this botched killing makes me think its probably a made in the USA false flag.
Do you have any concept of plausible deniability? What do you think would happen if russians pulled out a gun and shot their intended target in a foreign country?

What is with americans who are unable to accept the scientifically-backed version of events and instead substitute their own fantasy-based version despite it going against all evidence? Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

4 users like this post:
Closed Thread