Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What wheel size.

My daughter has a 2007 Focus hatch with the std 16" wheels/mags on it and wants an upgrade. We have been looking and there aren't bucketloads of choices. Someone quoted her for a set of 18's x7.5 with 35 profile rubber. I reckon they will be too harsh and she is starting to do some highway driving between the Gold Coast and Kempsey where the roads are crap so I am concerned about ruining the rims. Can some of you give me some ideas about this and moreso the comfort level if you have 18's. I do wish she would stick to the 17s though. I do have some pull here, I hold the walletstrings. Thanks.

Old 13-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Re: What wheel size.

I have 18s, with a 40 profile, and as you said, the ride is quiet harsh, but I was happy to sacrifice for looks.
17's of course will be cheaper, smoother, and cheaper to replace. You just need to find something with the correct stud patters (5x108) there is a thread somewhere with links on suppliers.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No dramas mate..
I have 20's. With 30 profile..

And I know it's on a bigger vehicle.
But to be honest? Anyone that tells you the ride difference is.. "Painful.."
Is a drama queen..

There is absolutely NO reason to be ruining rims..
If you see a pot hole, big enough to damage 18's with 35 rubber on it.. and you hit it?
The drivers vision needs to be checked.
I've hit big ones around logan/beenleigh, due to be being stupidly careless..
And I pulled over to see if there was any damage.. and there wasn't even a mark..
Nothing..

Your 18s will look sweet.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR5 runs 18's & the RS has 19's standard. I dont imagine will will be too bad. The only downside would be the added cost for tyres. If thats not an issue, go for it.

Otherwise 17's are agood comprimise
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any idea on what profile tyres are on the XR5?
And sorry ONE SIX but there is a big difference between small car and large car. I have an FGXR6 and couldnt imagine it on 20's but I am older and like some comfort.. That said extra width has a direct relation to profile, irrespective a 35 profile will have a detrimental effect on the ride. I will try tomorrow to contact the dealer and ask if a 40 or 45 could go on the rims.
Old 13-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You'd also have to lower the car if you put 18s/19s on it, standard Focus would look like a 4X4 with those size wheels on it, and the ride is going to be rough.

I reckon a nice set of 17s with a decent sized profile.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
You'd also have to lower the car if you put 18s/19s on it, standard Focus would look like a 4X4 with those size wheels on it, and the ride is going to be rough.

I reckon a nice set of 17s with a decent sized profile.
Agreed lowering would look better, but you can *just* get away with 18's at stock height

Dont knock my soft roader spec ride height!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
ConradP

Going to have to agree, 18's alone give it a harsh ride, I put them on with a 40 profile and was shocked at how it felt on any road, when I got it lowered it went back to being as good if not better than the standard 16s.

And yes the car looks like a truck with just bigger rims, I was copping crap for the week or so until i got the springs in.
Old 29-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
country focus
Country Focus

I have a set of 18in advanti riots on at the moment and the ride is a bit harsh and noisy but I am looking to replace them with a set of 16in or 17in as the roads where i live are crap and as a result I have 2 damaged rims at the moment so this is also a bit of a downside of the 18s
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post