Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
RASER
Banned

Smile New VW for $13,990

This is what the market is looking for, cheap and very cheerful

But its a stunning vehicle for China price as a bonus.

They will sell zillions of them, buy korean or this...can i phone a friend...NOT!

Just keeps pushing the price point down and down, screws the 2nd hand market and trade in values

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...h-review-32512

Built in the same factory as Porsche, and is fitted with laser guide system!

I like, its enough car for 75% of the population

Last edited by RASER; 19-09-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Light clutch
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New VW for $13,990

Stolen from article.........

It's economical too, with a combined fuel figure of 4.9L/100km. Reading 8.0L/100km at the start of our mainly urban drive, the Volkswagen up! displayed fuel consumption of 5.5L/100km 80km later. Carbon dioxide emissions are simiarly low, rated at 114g/km.

Low fuel consumption, low price, european badge, how many 18 year old girls will be begging for one of these when they get their licence?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
RASER
Banned

Wink Re: New VW for $13,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Stolen from article.........

It's economical too, with a combined fuel figure of 4.9L/100km. Reading 8.0L/100km at the start of our mainly urban drive, the Volkswagen up! displayed fuel consumption of 5.5L/100km 80km later. Carbon dioxide emissions are simiarly low, rated at 114g/km.

Low fuel consumption, low price, european badge, how many 18 year old girls will be begging for one of these when they get their licence?
+1

They have ANOTHER winner, no stopping VW in AUS, very aggresive with the prices

If u told me you could buy a brand new Euro built VW for less than $15k i would have said u need mental help

FIAT are going to REALLY have a look at its $22k entry 500 model, its a nicer vehicle, but VERY silly money here in AUS

Cannot fault this one, EVERY other brand here will be shitting themselves, standby for price drops and a bloodbath
Old 19-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
...Low fuel consumption, low price, european badge, how many 18 year old girls will be begging for one of these when they get their licence?
Except I'd bet 90% of the 18 year old girls don't have a manual license. It's manual only.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Except I'd bet 90% of the 18 year old girls don't have a manual license. It's manual only.
~ 70% of cars already sold in the light class in Australia are manual tranny.

They buy on prices

Seems zippy enough, even got the traction-control to work...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84a4DjIgl6w

I would say auto will come in the future

Ford are going to need to bring in the Ka me think, wont be able to sell the Fiesta that low

Last edited by RASER; 19-09-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 19-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another question I have, can it be sold here in Victoria, like the Cherry.

The Great Wall Cherry cannot be sold in Victoria because it does not meet Victorians safety standard.

Heaps of these cheap cars, do not have all the current safety features.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: New VW for $13,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Another question I have, can it be sold here in Victoria, like the Cherry.

The Great Wall Cherry cannot be sold in Victoria because it does not meet Victorians safety standard.

Heaps of these cheap cars, do not have all the current safety features.
It's Euro design/engineered/manufactured not some copy junk box from China, would have a 5-star encap rating, can be sold and registered in Vic.

5-star exceeded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLwJt5IBto

ESC tested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmPmfFfx48

Infact it has anti-collision laser system fitted as std. should have the cheapest insurance premium on the market.

My wife has crashed twice [only minor thank God!] she needs this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRW58xMzOM

The only pis/s offs are:

Needs PULP fuel [Big deal $100? extra a year] its frugal anyway.

VW dealers rape you for service charges, dont go to the VW dealer.

Toyota Agent.86 issue, wont be able to keep up with demand.

The Chinese are going to have to go under $9999 mark i would say.

This without doubt is a revolution on the Aussie market, the peoples car is back!

Last edited by RASER; 19-09-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Light clutch
Old 19-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny you should mention that.

All of my girls at work, wife and both daughters and all nieces drive manual cars.
All of the work cars are manual and the only problems I have ever had were almost every male I have employed under the age of 23 in the last 5 years or so cannot drive a manual.

A couple have been forced to get a manual license to keep their jobs but they make skippy look like snake on valium when leaving lights or a park.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed the same thing, more girls drive manuals than males.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's another value priced import alongside the new Chrysler 300 and Toybaru.

Could it be possible that we're on our way to finally seeing reasonably priced cars in Australia? I'm seeing a trend...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I know Ill be teaching my kids manual, half the "problem", if you can call it that, is that kids obviously learn off their parents and in general as we get older we seem to prefer auto's. So it makes it hard when the family doesnt own one.

Honestly it should be mandatory to get your learners in a manual unless you have a decent medical excuse as to why you cant. Its not all about changing the actual gears but IMO your more attentive when driving a manual.

A VW Up for Barina price..it will do well. Alot of people also just need something small for the daily commute.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe i`m wrong, but it still looks like a coffin on wheels to me, european made......big deal.....not a plus imo, the laser works up to 30 kph, that will be handy for the car park loonies, on the other hand it is cheap.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
maybe i`m wrong, but it still looks like a coffin on wheels to me, european made......big deal.....not a plus imo, the laser works up to 30 kph, that will be handy for the car park loonies, on the other hand it is cheap.
I agree, doesn't matter what the theoretical crash rating is, if you get hit hard by a normal sized vehicle and you're driving this, a Suzuki Alto or any other micra vehicle you're going to get hurt really bad...or worse... and then there's the 55KW and 95 nm's...honestly I'd rather walk. Doesn't break any new ground on price, Barina Spark is cheaper and VW is no guarantee of quality..dodgy DSG boxes anyone...
The Volvo style idiot proof car park braking is the only item worthy of consideration, should help avoid a few collisions while make-up is being applied while driving...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER

Built in the same factory as Porsche, and is fitted with laser guide system!
That's a bit broad-brush. It's built in the VW Bratislava (Slovakia) factory that makes the VAG SUVs - Touareg, Audi and some of Cayenne. It's also available in the VAG group as the Skoda Citigo which is about $1000 cheaper than the Up in Europe and it would be no surprise if it came out in a SEAT version too.

Be warned - the downside of owning a VW (or VAG group model) in Australia is service and parts costs (and parts availability) and insurance - plus the typical (for these cars) 95 ULP petrol as somebody mentioned. But the average punter doesn't think of these things up front.

At least quality should be good (for a change) being made in Slovakia rather than Germany!

VW and Skoda also sell millions of cars in China and India so they are getting some mileage in such markets. One of the interesting subjects discussed on Indian car forums is how they fuel their 95ULP cars when there's rarely any 95 available in India!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

The 2 door looks so much better. Should be a fun little car to drive with it's weight of 880kg.

EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
stang65
FPRJET

pfffft where is the rest of it? it fits in the back of the Terry. no family member of mine will ever drive that death trap .
Old 19-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
pfffft where is the rest of it? it fits in the back of the Terry. no family member of mine will ever drive that death trap .
How do you know its a death trap?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Exactly, until crash test results are out then it is as good as anything else. I dont think VW would risk a safety debacle on such (I assume) as low profit car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There is an automated manual version available but it was so rubbish VW Australia rejected it for sale here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Nova 8

I wouldnt wanna be in it if it was hit by a large car like a falcon or commodore. encap ratings mean nothing when getting hit by something twice your weight. I wont ever be comfortable in small cars like these on australian roads. Dont get me wrong, it looks great and im sure its great value for money but i feel no safer in cars like this then i would on a push bike.
Old 19-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
I wouldnt wanna be in it if it was hit by a large car like a falcon or commodore. encap ratings mean nothing when getting hit by something twice your weight. I wont ever be comfortable in small cars like these on australian roads. Dont get me wrong, it looks great and im sure its great value for money but i feel no safer in cars like this then i would on a push bike.
Yes .... but that is a statement on all small cars .... not specifically to this car though.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
From the size of it - it may be 5 star, but when it hits something bigger, like a 4WD or a truck, it will be squashed - much like a smartcar would be. Give me a 5 star big car any day.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL97
The 2 door looks so much better. Should be a fun little car to drive with it's weight of 880kg.

i
mage
Serious, this car is for midgets. Do you see your average obese 18-22 year old aussy chick fitting behind the wheel?
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Some people are totally missing the point of this car, and the greater implications it has.

It's cheap, new, has badge creed, looks funky, should have a good safety rating, and the options don't seem overly costly.

What more do you want??? Honestly.........

If the KA was here with the same price we would all be applauding how smart the boffins at Ford were...

Has anyone noticed how hard VW has worked to maintain quality but reduce prices??? They are gradually getting there as well. And the Golf and Polo are getting very affordable. They are no longer the premium car for the upper middle class that cost several thousand more than the competition.

They also have won a bunch of awards etc.... You can really see the VW group trying their best to get to number 1.

Do you remember when you bought your first new car... driving it off the lot knowing that it was yours from day 1?? This has just allowed a whole bunch of new buyers that opportunity. Sure they could have got an Alto or the Spark... but wouldn't you prefer to be driving a new Audi?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
I t-boned an 80s/90s Rodeo in my first Focus and I came out of it with a bit of bruising from the seatbelt and the other guy had a broken collar bone.

This thing is like the Ford Festiva/Mazda 121 of today, easy for a new driver to get their *** into and enjoy their first taste of freedom in a new car.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #26
stevz
Banned

I would rather go to Vic Roads and hand my licence in than drive a pos like that.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #27
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow it's so... Little!
Needs more R1 engine ;)
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I would rather go to Vic Roads and hand my licence in than drive a pos like that.
I agree.

Too small and too ugly.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #29
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Yes .... but that is a statement on all small cars .... not specifically to this car though.
I dont do small cars period, firstly im >6ft and secondly, i dont feel safe. A friend bought on of those "smart" cars, she asked if i wanted to go for a drive with her. I got in, turn round and lent and touched the back window... I got out.
Old 19-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I t-boned an 80s/90s Rodeo in my first Focus and I came out of it with a bit of bruising from the seatbelt and the other guy had a broken collar bone.
BIG difference in hitting someone and being hit. You used the strongest part of your car to hit his weakest part. If the tables had been turned you'd be lucky to recieve only a collar bone.

Edit: I get that it looks good and is a lot of car for the coin, but I wouldnt buy one. And if i was old enough to have a 16yo daughter I'd buy them a 5-10yo medium - large sedan.