Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cold start issues

i have a 2004 ford fiesta zetec. it has 107000k on the clock, and i'll add that the battery is original which does need replacing as i can hear the starter motor become weak at times, especially when i havent driven the car in a few days, or if its very cold, or if its been left outside in coldish weather.

now the problem is, when i start the car from cold, it does fire, however it will not rev to 1500rpm like it normally does/should, it will rev to around 1000, or a little bit less, and decrease until its showing around 200-300rpm at which point i shut it off, or it stalls. on a couple of occasions this has happened 3 times in a while trying to get going in the situations listed above. other times it might just do this once, i then try and fire it again and all is fine, other times it starts first go no problem.

my question is, is this normal? is it due to the battery? or could it be something else?

by the way, these problems have only begun since autumn/winter has hit sydney.

any help would be appreciated
thanks

fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Loose terminal from battery?

Alternator on the way out?

Check both correctly prior to buying...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not loose terminals, the battery was recently taken out of the car when it got serviced and the problem remains.
alternator seems to be doing its job and working fine.

and we know the battery is on its way out as some cells are on their way out and after about half an hour on the battery charger, it wouldn't charge anymore.
Old 26-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Samy82

If the battery needs replacing anyway, just do it, it may solve the issue, but I would think it sounds more like a fuel issue. Is there any smoke out the back?
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah no smoke coming out of the back... i always run it on V-power 98.

i have read elsewhere that some people have had the same issue when they leave their fiesta outside in the cold. this is the first winter i have had it, so i have been wondering whether it is actually normal, or whether it is the battery.

im pretty sure that its the battery, was thinking it wasnt starting up everything like it should be? but just looking for confirmation, and hopeing its nothing serious.
Old 26-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah no smoke coming out of the back... i always run it on V-power 98.

i have read elsewhere that some people have had the same issue when they leave their fiesta outside in the cold. this is the first winter i have had it, so i have been wondering whether it is actually normal, or whether it is the battery.

im pretty sure that its the battery, was thinking it wasnt starting up everything like it should be? but just looking for confirmation, and hopeing its nothing serious.
Old 26-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry about the double post... i dont know how it happened 10 mins apart? :\
Old 27-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Samy82

Its cool mate, nah not the quality of fuel, either fuel pressure or something like that. I've had them have faulty pressure regs, and so no fuel stays in the line and they struggle to start. Worth getting the pump and regulator checked.
Samy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
amcqu2
Starter Motor

It has happened to me a few times. And i've found its not neccescarily the cold. It has usually happened to me if ive just got straight in the car and turned it over the second i put the key in. So now i wait for it to do its beepy thing and then turn it over. Havent had the same problem since.
amcqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post