Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
George Klisaris
Starter Motor

Angry Ford Focus Brakes

I have had my Ford Focus for less than 2 years and all 4 brakes need to be replaced including the front Discs.

Has any else experioenced the same proble.

Apparentaly they are a soft compound and both brake pads and Discs ware out at the same time ????? :

George Klisaris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Forest Bear

Normal for euro cars. My Astra had its front and rear pads and rotors replaced at 38,000. Thats city driving mostly.

My first car was a second hand Ford Meteor. I had for a few years and never replaced any pads or rotors.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

dont know if its a common Foci thing bt can tell you my brake pads dust up the rims real quick if I dont wash them at least once every 2 weeks
Old 08-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Parasite

How many KM you done George?
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
George Klisaris
Starter Motor

Angry Brakes

I Have only done 23000kms.

My wife drives the bloody thing around 100km a week
George Klisaris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had my car for 2 years and already replaced front brake pads and disc, and soon to change rear brake pads....
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Klisaris
I Have only done 23000kms.

My wife drives the bloody thing around 100km a week
hmmmmmmm, driving style might have something to do with it :eclipsee_

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

It's definitely a known Focus issue, in particular for the Zetec trim spec.

If the car is an automatic and spends alot of its time on the brakes, then 20,000kms is conceivable. However, my 2 year old CL with 70 thousand kms on it still has about 50 percent of both pads and discs left. Long live the CL's.

:monkes:

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
king_pin

I had my 45000km service recently and was informed that my rear pads will need changing before the next service. After being quoted $300 for the pads I told them to hold off. I have been shopping around a bit and have found a couple of potential replacements which are cheaper... and most importantly, DUST FREE!!!!! :evil_laug
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pin
I had my 45000km service recently and was informed that my rear pads will need changing before the next service. After being quoted $300 for the pads I told them to hold off. I have been shopping around a bit and have found a couple of potential replacements which are cheaper... and most importantly, DUST FREE!!!!! :evil_laug
You're kidding - $300 for brake pads.

Mine are fine (auto CL), was only looking at them yesterday. When the time comes for them to be replaced I might look at the aftermarket disc and pad options if the Ford ones are so soft.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #11
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Yeh, my car has got 20 000km, and my brakes have heaps of the pad left. I do however notice that the discs are getting a bit of groove, but we're talking along the lines of less than 1mm. Discs seem to be common issue. But as some have already mentioned, its more than likely a driving style issue. Especially with auto, where the only way to brake is by hitting the brake pedal. Manuals can use some engine braking, and i brake relatively easily too.

Tom
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
Mick K.

Yep - I got the same message at the 45km service (2 years). All pads and font discs next time. I'm going to do for DBA slotted rotors and EBC greenstuff pads. DBA are Australian made, so maybe they will be more tailored for our conditions?

My wife's JS Vectra V6 needs 4 discs and pads :(

Not a cheap exercise unfortunately.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
whippet_zetec
Supes

I think you will find that new pads and discs are becomng the norm of owning a car, I know that Ford Falcon has always been notorious for chewing up pads and discs, BMW can be pretty harsh on them too.

Driving style will affect how your pads and discs deteriorate over time too, best things is to make sure you brake smoothly all the time with no harsh jabbing at them and only use them when you need to (ie dont ride the brakes)
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I also had 45,000km replacement of all pads plus front discs. Thank god I only pay employee prices... otherwise I'd be moving to EBC greenstuffs, might even do so for the next change. My driving style is hard, so they might have lasted longer, but I'm harder on the eninge if anything and not the brakes. Old man's astra also went pads and front discs at 45,000km. Bloody european cars.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'm telling ya, it's how you treat them. 70 thousand kms and going strong!

:Reverend:

p.s. This is just to stir Zetec owners, I do understand that some people are genuinely finding very short life span of brakes on their Focus.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I've got an LX Auto that's done 25K, and I have always been in the habit of manually changing down gears whenever I can, so hopefully that'll give them a longer life.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post