Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-09-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
losfp

Default New Focus #1,000,000 on the forums!

Well, maybe not that many.. But it's finally here!!!!

If you want to see photos of an LX Hatch in Titanium Grey, shot in terrible lighting... go here -> http://thesystemisdown.com/gallery/t...s.php?album=14

A few thoughts based on one evening's ownership...

Good:

Lots of power (coming from a 1.3L 3-sp auto!)
Handles like a demon
Love the instrument panel layout - especially with the lights on. The bright red arrows make it a snap to see at a glance.
Useful glovebox - deep, pen holder, cup holders, AUX In.
I like the way the rear seats fold forward so you can fold the rear seat backs down flat.

Bad:

Someone else (CDAA?) mentioned this as well. There's not a lot of room to stick extra items, like phones, sunnies, keys, wallets etc.
Still getting used to the LHD indicator stalks
Glovebox quite narrow
Gear indicator for auto manual mode could be more prominent.

That's all I can think of right now... But I'm sure I'll post again after a few more days of driving

losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
losfp
Looks great and yep i went through all of the pics, enjoy your new ride, the gauges on the dash look the part, dont mind the interior at all.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I also love it, looks fantastic, I love that colour more every time I see it, it's just stunning. Very well done.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:42 AM   #4
focus_gal
Starter Motor

Looks great! Makes me want mine more now. Thanks for giving us some pics that the brochures don't of the LX. I plan to give Ford some feedback about their brochures, that they should make one for the LX and CL so that people can see its interior. I think its stupid they only put the Ghia in every one, especially since that is the one model that very few people buy.

I'm glad to hear it handles well, I used to own a Mondeo and I was hoping the Focus had even a fraction of its handling.
focus_gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #5
losfp

You're right, focus gal. I found myself flipping through the brochure, trying to look at the interior shots of the zetec, and wondering just how close it is to the CL/LX. Very annoying to say the least.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
owens

My theory is that when the indicators on the right, often I was turning them on with my right hand and changing gear with the left, leaving the steering wheel only supported by the palm of my hand. I find with the indicator stalk on the left my right hand hardly leaves the wheel. Safer I think and it's becoming instinct again, after turning the wipers on quite a number of times.

losfp. The car looks great! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Can you tell me if you've notived something? At night when the headlights are on, do they reach far ahead? My wife was driving around a bend and the lights weren't hitting the road ahead and she didn't see a guy walking down the road until about 20 metres away. I'm thinking perhaps my lights need tilting up a bit? Have you noticed this?

Also something to be aware of, the brake light in my rear window has developed a rattle which I'm taking to get fixed up, so just keep your ears open for that.
Enjoy your new ride! I just washed mine this morning after it got quite dirty after the rain we had. Looks terrific.

Makes me want to get out and drive
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens
Can you tell me if you've notived something? At night when the headlights are on, do they reach far ahead? My wife was driving around a bend and the lights weren't hitting the road ahead and she didn't see a guy walking down the road until about 20 metres away. I'm thinking perhaps my lights need tilting up a bit? Have you noticed this?
Haven't noticed this so far. I was driving in a bit of traffic last night though, so I wasn't really looking very far ahead of our car on the road. I'll look out for it tonight if we're driving somewhere.

Haven't noticed any other rattling or creaking etc, but I'll be keeping my eyes and ears wide open over the next few days. My theory is that if you buy something major (car, appliance, TV, computer etc) and don't notice anything wrong within a few days, it's quite likely that it will be good for a long time after!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mark 1 Focus has headlight adjustment level dial just under the light switch. Don't know if this is the same for Mark 2, but check your owners manual. It's amazing what you can learn when you read it. It really is worth sitting down for an hour with a cup of coffee and reading it from top to tail
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Haha, it has finally arrived. I just love that colour. Saw one on the road in Perth the other day, and it looks sweet as.

I like the way the gear selector setup is designed, much nicer in the LS than in the LR. But does that lever get a bit close to the dash fascia when in P?? Could be just the angle though....

Tom
Old 07-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Just split the thread to keep it on topic.

Lofsp - great new car! That colour is one of my favourites in the range!

Congratulations and enjoy it!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Nice car man, only took how long!

LOL looks good, only thing i dont like is those spats, they make it look like a rally car, id take them off before they damage the paint.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Just split the thread to keep it on topic.

Lofsp - great new car! That colour is one of my favourites in the range!

Congratulations and enjoy it!

Tim
On the topic ! What about the dead body in the boot.? LOL
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
losfp

Some more thoughts after a week. I don't get to drive our car much during the week (I take the train to work, my fiancée has to drive), but on the weekend I drove a fair bit - SCG to Quakers Hill after a mind-blowing Swans match, Chatswood to Quakers, and Quakers to the airport and back (via Castle Hill on the return trip).

Good:
- GREAT fun to drive uphill on windy roads! (Fullers Rd between Chatswood and the M2)
- Love the "all windows open" feature using the remote
- Good idea to have the interior lights come on when you shut off the engine (and then fade out when you lock the car)
- Impressively adequate stock stereo
- Stereo controls on the steering column are surprisingly usable
- Trip computer very useful
- Tiptronic controls a snap to use, even for a manual-a-phobe like me!

Bad:
- A little less visibility when reversing compared to our old car - there's a big blind spot over the right rear wheel that I can't work out.. Might have to start using my side mirrors more
- A bit hard to make out the trip computer screen in the daytime when using sunglasses
- Seats are a bit hard. Had to really fiddle to get a position that I was really really comfortable in
Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Thanks for the input! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I find the seats SUPREMELY supportive and comfortable over long distances, lord knows I've done about 6,000km most of them highway in new model Foci and loved every kilometre.

After spending a weekend in a 6sp auto TX Territory AWD (and what a hoot that was too!!!) the volume controls on the steering wheel are a pain in the bum around the city when you want to change volume, if the wheel's locked around through a corner for example. It's still awesome having them there and they are actually more functional and user friendly than the Mk 1 and Mk 2 Focus ones in what they can do and how easily they operate, but they confuse me and would be better in the same spot on the steering column like the Focus. Much like the debate over paddle shift on the steering column or steering wheel. Steering column all the way!