Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
simonr
Focus Rookie

Default Aftermarket Security System....

hey, im looking to get a good aftermarket security system..
Anyone had experience with these.?
i'm looking to spend bout $500-900
whats the deal with "point" ratings"?
Any suggestions for good places to get it in Sydney...?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
simonr
Focus Rookie

Went to a Alarm place today, I Think im gonna get just the ford upgrade one... he goes 595 fully fitted.

Ford goes $390 + $90per hour

Any thoughts? recommendations?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Whats the Ford Upgrade one entail?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
simonr
Focus Rookie

Think its just the same as getting it optioned when you buy new..

It works with the Key Remote Button..
The guy said it just plugs into the cars computer and intergrates with it...

He also said that City Ford have a deal with Century Car alarms and do not use genuine ford alarm systems... :S

When i called City Ford Spares they mentioned the Century one first.. and gave me their phone number...

Very Confused bout the whole thing...
Old 06-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
Think its just the same as getting it optioned when you buy new..

It works with the Key Remote Button..
The guy said it just plugs into the cars computer and intergrates with it...

He also said that City Ford have a deal with Century Car alarms and do not use genuine ford alarm systems... :S

When i called City Ford Spares they mentioned the Century one first.. and gave me their phone number...

Very Confused bout the whole thing...
Yea, ive noticed most Ford places use the Sentry Car Alarm, not sure why... and that is the one i got. To be honest, my dad has a better alarm, from Mongoose, which activates immediately, whereas the Sentry one takes about 30 seconds... I have another friend that has a Rhino alarm that sends him an sms telling him what is wrong with the car... he can also sms the car and get updates, or unlock the car!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Yea, ive noticed most Ford places use the Sentry Car Alarm, not sure why... and that is the one i got. To be honest, my dad has a better alarm, from Mongoose, which activates immediately, whereas the Sentry one takes about 30 seconds... I have another friend that has a Rhino alarm that sends him an sms telling him what is wrong with the car... he can also sms the car and get updates, or unlock the car!
Apparenty the owner of City Ford also owns Sentry Car Alarms and some other "Corporate Arrangement" is going on there..

What do you think of the Sentry one? does it work with your Fiesta Key?

Do the other aftermarket ones u mentioned work with the Key and how much are they worth?

Next time i see ya in the woolies car park i will make sure to test out your alarm :P
Old 27-08-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Apparenty the owner of City Ford also owns Sentry Car Alarms and some other "Corporate Arrangement" is going on there..

What do you think of the Sentry one? does it work with your Fiesta Key?

Do the other aftermarket ones u mentioned work with the Key and how much are they worth?

Next time i see ya in the woolies car park i will make sure to test out your alarm :P
im sooooooooo delayed.... i just realised that i see your car all the time. Ok... the sentry one i have is ... i still have to go back.... im going to ask for a refund.... it takes about 30seconds to arm, and only tells me a door is open AFTER its armed, by which time im already far away from the car. It is however good (sensitive) and loud.

Btw.... i think other alarms can be programmed. I like my dads Mongoose... and my friend has the Rhino one (that sms you when it gets broken into... but i dont think its programmable)...

So yea, best of luck! A little delayed though! lol

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 27-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an upgraded alarm in my car that uses the cars key remote to arm and disarm. i have a Hornet model 700T and it cost me $450 installed
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Car alarm? I've got door locks, an immobiliser and solid hinges, ain't nothing getting into my car. a Mate with an identical 3 door Zetec locked his keys in his boot after locking the car and pacing them on the boot floor to grab a bag out then accidentally closing the boot. He had deadlocked the doors, the RACV could not get in, they gave up. They said Focus and Golf are virtually unbeatable and the only way in is to smash a window, no joke (if your doors are deadlocked). They'll do that anyway with an alarm if they're desperate.

We luckily found a key that opened it after he drove home and got his spare with assistance from a friend!! But virtually impenetrable works for me.

The trick is to have tinted windows, leave nothing visible in the car and to deadlock the doors, the rest is pretty much unstoppable anyway. Given the bonnet is also locked with the key, there seems little point to having a bonnet alarm either as you can hardly smash the window and open the bonnet anyway.

I'm not pointing out that alarms are useless at all so please don't take it that way, I just can't justify one given how solid and secure they are in the first place. An Excel is another story. For that you need 2 armed guards...

Last edited by zetec; 27-08-2005 at 09:29 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
simonr
Focus Rookie

If the doors are dead locked does that mean that they cant open the doors even when smashing the windows? From the inside?
I want my car to make a noise and draw attention when the windows have been smashed anyway.....
Old 28-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
If the doors are dead locked does that mean that they cant open the doors even when smashing the windows? From the inside?
I want my car to make a noise and draw attention when the windows have been smashed anyway.....
yep that's it.....when the Foci (LR) doors are dead lokced (hold the lock button down or hit it twice until the idicators flash twice) then even if someone does get inside your Foci by smashing the window they still are unable to open the doors from the inside

as Matt has pointed out too, there is no bonnet release inside the Foci (LR) for you to release the catch, you still need your key to open your bonnet and theives would need to pry open your bonnet in someway.
Old 28-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sucks that CL's dont get the deadlocks.
Old 28-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Correct, just don't go locking anyone inside with the double lock, they won't be able to get out at all... dangerous.

There is clearly advantages to having an alarm system installed even given the factory focus' security features, it's hardly impenetrable and there's a lot ot be said for alerting people or scaring off thieves with an audible alarm.

I just can't justify the price, at the end of the day if they're going to steal my car, the price of the theft is the same as my excess at any rate if it all goes to an extreme. I guess my excess will probably be affected, but maybe not as badly as if I had written off the car myself for example.
Old 28-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
lincoln
Blinded

Totally agree with Matt there. These cars are very difficult to steal. If you can steal them, I'd applaud them! LOL!

If you are going to get an alarm, ensure you have an internal siren. That way it becomes unbearable to try and work inside the car to disarm it. Best way, rather than having an external alarm that everyone ignores.

I'm pretty sure the ST170 alarm has an internal siren in the rear quarter panel. It would not be comfortable if you were inside that car.

Here is the NRMA list of approved alarms: http://www.nrma.com.au/pub/nrma/moto...r/alarms.shtml

Also, if you do get alarm. The installation should cost as much as the unit itself. You want to make it as hard as possible to disarm. You can only do that with installer time. The unit is only as good as its wiring.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... i know! I just realised this today, that my friend's $13990 04 mod barina has the deadlocks, and my car doesnt. Not impressed. But yea, i think the deadlocks are a great idea! If you have them, no point in getting an alarm in my opinion, just get Tints. With his windows open, he can walk away from the car and be assured that NO ONE will get in, something that i cannot do in my Car.

Good luck with the alarm!

Old 28-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
With his windows open, he can walk away from the car and be assured that NO ONE will get in, something that i cannot do in my Car.
Umm... Wouldnt they be able to clim through the window lol

Yer anyway in my case im scared of losing wat is in the car.. sound system..( since i have lost it all b4 in my last car) and physical damage..

Someone could break the window, pop the hatch from the button... and therefore get to boot and maybe if desperate get inside the car from the boot :S lol

I guess to sum it all up.. If someone is desperate enough to get in a car or to even smash a window they will not hesitate to do whateva they can to get what they set out to get....
Its these dropkicks that make alarm installers money and keep insurance premiums soaring...

Ohh yer whilst on the subject of dropkicks did i mention.. my car has been keyyed twice in two different places in the two months i have had the car.. i hate those F#@#n losers....
Old 28-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #17
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Ohh yer whilst on the subject of dropkicks did i mention.. my car has been keyyed twice in two different places in the two months i have had the car.. i hate those F#@#n losers....
there has been a bit of this going around Sydney. I have had a few friends comment on their cars getting that treatment too. Not sure if its some new craze or something with teenagers (the ones who arent old enough to drink but like to be out late doing dumb stuff).
Old 28-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I guess, they could climb through the window. Well, in my case, there isnt anything to get. Um, if the doors are deadlocked, isnt the boot dead locked?

With the break a window statement, thats what tint is for! In my opinion, maybe get tint, and get Rhino alarm sensors with the mobile thingy, so you can get updates on your car's status.

As yet... as you know i park where you do, and my car is still clean and looking good thankfully *knock on wood*. Just make sure you park STRAIGHT and in the middle of the two lines.....

Quote:
Umm... Wouldnt they be able to clim through the window lol

Yer anyway in my case im scared of losing wat is in the car.. sound system..( since i have lost it all b4 in my last car) and physical damage..

Someone could break the window, pop the hatch from the button... and therefore get to boot and maybe if desperate get inside the car from the boot :S lol

I guess to sum it all up.. If someone is desperate enough to get in a car or to even smash a window they will not hesitate to do whateva they can to get what they set out to get....
Its these dropkicks that make alarm installers money and keep insurance premiums soaring...

Old 28-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
In my opinion, maybe get tint, and get Rhino alarm sensors with the mobile thingy, so you can get updates on your car's status.
I like these alarms. Got a link for more info on them?
Old 28-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I like these alarms. Got a link for more info on them?
http://www.rhinosecurity.com/go.php?p=153

My cousin has got it from Ryda (www.ryda.com) ... and my best mate has it. Im impressed with the system. You can ask it for the car status, tell the car to lock it self, or to unlock itself (if keys are in the car, or if you lose the keys)... its awesome! Tells you what set of the car, like which sensor. Impressive