Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 10-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fiesta XR4 took home bronze at MOTOR Magazine's BFYB 2007

Congrats to Ford and their Fiesta XR4 for taking bronze on MOTOR magazine Bang For Your Buck 2007 while winning the under $30,000 category.

More info on the article here :-

http://www.fordfiestaxr4.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=339

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget about bronze overall!

Well done for a clear win in it's price segment.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Sounds good, now for the RS version with a bit more power!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Default downloadable file...

http://www.fordxr4.com/media/motor -...b shootout.pdf

A great win and an overall 3rd is pretty awesome.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That white with blue stripes is really good colour.
Old 13-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
Danny
GT4.

Whats with these 9+ Second 0-100 figures?????
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
jweb
radio off =save petrol :P

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Whats with these 9+ Second 0-100 figures?????
Yeh noticed that too what the hell .,seems to be not much quicker than a regular fiesta lol.Probley a typo.
Old 17-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it's a typo cos Wheels magazine got 9.2sec for the 0-100km/h :(
Old 17-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #9
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, the times are a bit of a mystery (and a pity.)
Old 18-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm yeh the XR4 is slightly more powerful AND lighter than the LS Foci... in theory the XR4 should do better quarter-mile times.

But I dunno if gearing can rob the XR4 that much.
Old 18-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta XR4

I remember watching a video on google which compared a few hot hatches, one of the segments was a drag race between them all on a runway.

IIRC the cars were the awesome lil Pug GTI 180, the ST fiesta, the clio 182 and a seat (i think)

The fiesta cornered really well when they tracked it, but in the drag race it got absolutely SMASHED to pieces by a few car lengths.

So 0-100 of high 8's or low 9's in australian conditions would probably be a fair estimate.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
I remember watching a video on google which compared a few hot hatches, one of the segments was a drag race between them all on a runway.

IIRC the cars were the awesome lil Pug GTI 180, the ST fiesta, the clio 182 and a seat (i think)

The fiesta cornered really well when they tracked it, but in the drag race it got absolutely SMASHED to pieces by a few car lengths.

So 0-100 of high 8's or low 9's in australian conditions would probably be a fair estimate.
Well with the other cars having an extra 20kw+ on the ST its easy to see why it got smashed in a drag race. And 9second 0-100km/h is way too slow for the xr4, low 8's is more like it.

Although it depends on many things, At WSID my Fiesta would bog down because the track was too grippy and 0-100 was in around 11seconds while on the street this is around 1second slower.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

These 9-sec 0-100km/h times are comping from the same people who managed 13.36 out of a Lamborghini Gallardo, a car the rest of the world gets 11.8's from (this was PCOTY 2004). Also the same people who managed 14.7 from the 240kW SVT Cobra that was imported here, a car that did ~13.5 in the USA. lol @ their awesome driving inability.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
These 9-sec 0-100km/h times are comping from the same people who managed 13.36 out of a Lamborghini Gallardo, a car the rest of the world gets 11.8's from (this was PCOTY 2004). Also the same people who managed 14.7 from the 240kW SVT Cobra that was imported here, a car that did ~13.5 in the USA. lol @ their awesome driving inability.
Yea, for this Motor Mag BFYB competition......the XR4 was driven by some bloke called Warren Luff, what the hell would he know about driving anyway.......
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup.. and that's why it's strange for the XR4 not running at its optimum pace.
Old 18-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

sure it may a little lacking in straight line speed, but check out how it does on the track, its able to carry alot more corner speed then some other cars, i've been doing more and more reading and its fast becoming the favourite little hot hatch of all the journo's and magazines. just 3 sleeps to go....
Old 18-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Judging by my long drive I had in one today the times do not surprise me.

I was left a little disappointed, as I went into the XR4 expecting big things over the Zetec.

Sure, features were pretty good over the Zetec, seats are far better, the car looks stunning, sounds amazing and is just so well built and solid over pot holes and bumps...

But it just didn't have the 'go' I expected it to have.

Good on Ford though for getting them here! Oh, and good on them for taking out Bronze in BFYB

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #18
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Could it be a possibility that the car used in the test was under 1000kms?? On a personal level i have heard from various owners that the XR4 really starts coming alive above 1000kms (suppose run in period) and those who have just done the test drive have all been judgemental because its not meeting there expectations? Obviously for some people first impressions is all that matters which is fair, but i myself have experienced the XR4 riding shotgun; with over 1000kms and there is nothing but a smile and change of underwear. (I recall a spirited drive with driver + 3 passengers in canberra, where at full load it still hammered). Just imagine how I will be when im in the drivers seat?

Anyways I think everyone has a different opinion about the car. So far all the reviews have been positive, which is great to see. At the end of the day the XR4 does it for me and i havent even driven it yet......(i do feel one negative point is the amount of plastic in the engine bay, which i think is what makes the intake very restrictive. Rip it all out throw in a CAI and you will be singing. If it added 5kws to my Auto Zetec, im sure it will do wonders to the XR4)

Going off a few youtube threads, amatures are getting high 7s to low 8s (stock) 0-60mph, which is its potential and I assure you these werent done when it just left the showroom floor.

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 18-08-2007 at 09:58 PM.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #19
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Yea, for this Motor Mag BFYB competition......the XR4 was driven by some bloke called Warren Luff, what the hell would he know about driving anyway.......
Well testing for the magazine he does have a VERY poor record with straight line performance.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
Obviously for some people first impressions is all that matters which is fair, but i myself have experienced the XR4 riding shotgun; with over 1000kms and there is nothing but a smile and change of underwear. (I recall a spirited drive with driver + 3 passengers in canberra, where at full load it still hammered).
Ah so THAT's what I was smelling. DAMN!

If it's under 1000kms... chances are that the car would still have the wearing-in oil. Change the oil to a good synthetic 5W-30 and it might fix the problem. However, Eurofords were never designed for 400m sprint anyway.

Last edited by Ives; 19-08-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 19-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #21
jweb

if those times are true,then the fiesta xr4 is slightly quicker than a stock territory non turbo lol.
Old 19-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #22
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No. Like some members said, Fiesta STs can pull mid 8s to low 8s for the 0-100km/h time... no reason/excuse why XR4s can't.
Old 20-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #23
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Does he record the standing start acceleration figures? I have a video from PCOTY2004 when they drive the FPV GT (could be PCOTY2003), and they shift very badly and painfully slowly.

I also smashed their BFYB WP Fiesta LX (1029kg vs my Zetec's 1038kg) 1/4 mile time in my Fiesta Zetec WP, stock, on my first time at the strip too! 17.75 vs 17.252. 5 tenths of ownership there. And I don't think I'm a pro anything at all.

If a first time drag racer can out accelerate the times they're printing, that person is either the next Victor Bray or John Force or something... or something's wrong with their figures?

Aussie magazines are notorious for being the slowest of all the world's. They're consistantly behind European and American publications testing the same vehicles, so as far as I'm concerned, their acceleration figures mean nothing unless its a direct same day car to car comparo, in which situation they show which car is generally faster, but are still far off each vehicle's true potential.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
shaq32
03 GHIA V8

Haven't read the article, but they normally test 2 up and half a tank of fuel or something like that for road tests etc. Was this explained in their article?
03 Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V, Pacemaker Extracters, Custom Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust, High Flow Cats from Exhaust Technology, ACE CAI, Lowered King Springs, Whiteline Camber/Castor Kit, Whiteline Adjustable Front and Rear Sway Bars, DBA slotted rotors, Bendix Ultimate Pads, Midnight Express Tint
shaq32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq32
Haven't read the article, but they normally test 2 up and half a tank of fuel or something like that for road tests etc. Was this explained in their article?
Dont know how they ran the tests but for the record Warren Luff is a V8 Touring Car Driver, I presume he would know what he was doing behind the wheel...maybe the Fez had too much zip for him to handle?...
Old 20-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

These are just times. They vary between days, cars and drivers. Go out there and drive the car and come up with your own conclusions, just as I have.

OH, and I gave up on Wheels and Motor (don't have any new issues). It's Evo, Car and TopGear for me :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #27
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
These are just times. They vary between days, cars and drivers. Go out there and drive the car and come up with your own conclusions, just as I have.
As I did also.....

I did drive an XR4 before deciding on the VRX, I thought it was a reasonable step up from the Zetec but not that great.

It performed admirably but not quite the huge power leap that I was expecting, perhaps we had all waited so long for it to come out here and placed it up on a "golden pedestal" that in the end the fact never quite lived up to the reputation.

At the end of the day "every car" has it's good and bad points......no car is just perfect, particularly when every person has their own opinion on what makes something just right, it's what makes us all individuals, for example, in my opinion I think the wheels on the XR4 are horrible and yet others love them........I think the rust in the front steering, drive and suspension components is completely unforgivable, others say "what rust"...........you get my drift, horses for courses.
Old 27-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #28
jweb

Quote:
As I did also.....

I did drive an XR4 before deciding on the VRX, I thought it was a reasonable step up from the Zetec but not that great.

It performed admirably but not quite the huge power leap that I was expecting, perhaps we had all waited so long for it to come out here and placed it up on a "golden pedestal" that in the end the fact never quite lived up to the reputation.

At the end of the day "every car" has it's good and bad points......no car is just perfect, particularly when every person has their own opinion on what makes something just right, it's what makes us all individuals, for example, in my opinion I think the wheels on the XR4 are horrible and yet others love them........I think the rust in the front steering, drive and suspension components is completely unforgivable, others say "what rust"...........you get my drift, horses for courses.
Rust,ahmmmm wat are you talking about : ,you should see my friends camry,rust bucket lol.Still dont underrstand,what rust exactly,i can see why people are saying what rust,becuase i dont understand
Old 27-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyweb
Rust,ahmmmm wat are you talking about : ,you should see my friends camry,rust bucket lol.Still dont underrstand,what rust exactly,i can see why people are saying what rust,becuase i dont understand
Just like no one can understand what you are saying. Please rephrase what you are saying. or at least make it alot easier for people to read .

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Luffy only did the track tests, not the acceleration tests. Morley did those.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post