Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Never buy a car on the net without an inspection.

NEVER buy a car, especially a damaged car, without SOMEBODY inspecting the car.
Went to the Pickles Auction today. There was a nice looking AU XR6. On the net, it looked ok. Just a couple of dimples in the rear bumper, and on close inspection they would mostly have “popped” back out.
Thing is, we couldn’t get the back doors open, and after finally yanking them open, they wouldn’t shut without slamming against the C pillars.
Yep, whole rear of the car was sprung. Major dollars to repair properly.
When that lot came up, NOBODY on site was bidding, but the internet bids were going off. The auctioneer was dumbstruck. He kept looking around and asking why nobody was bidding, whilst struggling to keep up with the internet flurry. Some poor sod on the net paid $2,000.

Old 18-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I wonder if Pickles could end up in a pickle over that one. Would a licensed auctioneer such as them not have a duty to openly disclose any defect with the vehicle that may seriously affect the value of that vehicle? Particularly when making it available for sight unseen auction.

For a start, is it being sold as a road worthy vehicle? If so a car that will not open and closed doors properly is not road worthy, therefore the items is not in it's advertised condition.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I wonder if Pickles could end up in a pickle over that one. Would a licensed auctioneer such as them not have a duty to openly disclose any defect with the vehicle that may seriously affect the value of that vehicle? Particularly when making it available for sight unseen auction.

For a start, is it being sold as a road worthy vehicle? If so a car that will not open and closed doors properly is not road worthy, therefore the items is not in it's advertised condition.
They definately need to advertise it as a repairable right off or a damaged vehicle.

Are we sure that it wasnt advertised like that online??

They dont need to sell cars roadworthy as they sell them un-registered, but its very buyer beware.

I used to buy cars online for a client from Sydney and Melbourne from Pickles sight unseen and we never had a drama, these were 2 year old Fairlanes tho, bought a heap of them at the time and they always had inspection reports online which matched up to what we got when we received them.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to pickles to check out a low km manual BF GT
i got there it looked like it had done all the kms off road, the rear seats looked like they'd been buffed with 80 grit sandpaper, it was an AUTO and the guy just shrugged his shoulders when i asked him did he always waste people's time

sometimes when a business gets big they forget that service got them there in the first place
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey117
I went to pickles to check out a low km manual BF GT
i got there it looked like it had done all the kms off road, the rear seats looked like they'd been buffed with 80 grit sandpaper, it was an AUTO and the guy just shrugged his shoulders when i asked him did he always waste people's time

sometimes when a business gets big they forget that service got them there in the first place

I may know the previous owner of that GT... was it black?
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
adelaidecrows02

Caveat Emptor.......

I buy vehicles from Pickles on a weekly basis - before doing this, I inspect them on the internet, and occasionally, like today, will go down there and have a squiz. Whenever a car isnt being sold as a repairable or statutory write off, there is ALWAYS a condition report available, via phone, email, or internet.

There is no way that Pickles can get in the poop for this, because there are plenty of methods available to budding bidders to check the condition of all vehicles prior to auction day.

crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
NEVER buy a car, especially a damaged car, without SOMEBODY inspecting the car.
Went to the Pickles Auction today. There was a nice looking AU XR6. On the net, it looked ok. Just a couple of dimples in the rear bumper, and on close inspection they would mostly have “popped” back out.
Thing is, we couldn’t get the back doors open, and after finally yanking them open, they wouldn’t shut without slamming against the C pillars.
Yep, whole rear of the car was sprung. Major dollars to repair properly.
When that lot came up, NOBODY on site was bidding, but the internet bids were going off. The auctioneer was dumbstruck. He kept looking around and asking why nobody was bidding, whilst struggling to keep up with the internet flurry. Some poor sod on the net paid $2,000.
Old 18-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
rocket67

If you are buying a car from the "Damaged Car Auction" the onus is on you to inspect the car beforehand. You would be a fool to buy a car that has rear damage without inspecting it first.

Insurance companies do not write off cars for fun. If the damage is confined to a bumper bar and bootlid it would be repaired as the cheaper option for the insurance company. Therefore you can expect the rear of the car to have sustained more damage than is visible from above. Ya need to get down and check it underneath.

Having written that - i am about to bid on a car that has rear damage - sight unseen, because i am after the front panels, wheels, engine and gearbox.

Did you happen to note selling prices of BA and BF Falcons at the Auction?

Rocket.
rocket67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Bobman
Regulator

I guess a lot of people realise this as there are so many written off cars that end up on eBay just a week after being sold at auction.

The usual line on the eBay ad is: "bought this to do up, but no time or money" or "due to health reasons" etc.

$2000 for an AU XR6.. the winning bidder should be able to get that back in parts anyway.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I guess a lot of people realise this as there are so many written off cars that end up on eBay just a week after being sold at auction.

The usual line on the eBay ad is: "bought this to do up, but no time or money" or "due to health reasons" etc.

$2000 for an AU XR6.. the winning bidder should be able to get that back in parts anyway.
Yeah I have noticed this alot - there is a guy in queensland who bought up big with the hail damaged cars and is moving them on eBay - must have close to 30 on there
Old 18-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
I may know the previous owner of that GT... was it black?

yep...it started up and sounded nice but it had had a hard life in my opinion and i wanted a manual

27 grand
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much as I think Pickles are a bunch of shitheads, this was simply the fault of the buyer not bothering to inspect. WE really liked the car, until we inspected it.
In contrast, another AU XR6, that didn’t LOOK as nice, but really only needed another door (or some light panel work) went for only $1,200. I picked up a reasonable AU Futura on LPG, with very minimal damage, for $266.

There are not too many BAs or BFs at these auctions, as they are more likely to economical to repair. A couple of early BAs went for $1,500, but they were pretty badly smashed. Similarly, the vehicles at these auctions are more likely to have front damage. I suppose some are single car accidents, but even if one car rear ends another, the rear is probably cheaper to repair.
The XR6 I originally mentioned, I suspect was originally fitted with a tow bar.

A couple of bargains on the day:
An 09 Mazda 2, 12k on the clock, for $4.5k, and an 09 BF3 egas, 7k on the clock, for $10.5k.
No repairs necessary, but both cars would be great for a Golf Shop.
Old 19-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
seduced_xr
BF XR6

our BF went through the auction after a major tbone and repair. not a peep in the auction report.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post