Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Wikipedia is not a referencable source for any Australian university. That should be enough reason to believe it does have it's flaws.
But then neither is anything that disagrees with current academic agenda regardless of how accurate it is.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #62
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Speed Cameras reduce the road toll

Not sure about its legallity but your are allowed to not drive without your licence - police will ask 24 to 48 hours to present it at the station

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #63
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Not sure about its legallity but your are allowed to not drive without your licence - police will ask 24 to 48 hours to present it at the station
You can drive without your license but you don't know if it's legal? Maybe try clarifying that a bit more.

EDIT: I have read it again and you've said you are allowed to not drive without your license? Ok, not sure exactly when that would come in handy?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #64
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Be very careful here, it will depend greatly on the state legislation, in QLD it is clearly not.

I have also checked NSW state road law and having 4 occupants in the back seat of a car with three seat belts is clearly illegal there too. Both NSW and QLD road laws are almost direct copies of the Australian Road Rules 2009 in this respect.

Perhaps in the state the detective works he may be correct, in NSW, ACT and QLD he is not.
Yes, good point - I had intended to point out that this was for SA only
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #65
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Incorrect - and you answered it yourself - speed does not kill, however extreme acceleration can.
Don't say that or we'll have laws where we can get busted for taking off "slightly too quickly" even though the police don't have a way to measure it, and neither do us drivers.

Next thing we'll all have an accelerometer on our dashboards, a needle pointing to how fast we're accelerating, with acceleration limits as well as speed limits and the world will be even crazier than what it is now!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

I think that is right, I believe both can be fined. But what I referrd to was the reason for splitting the ages in the legislation. Under 16 is solely the drivers responsibility in traffic law at least, maybe parents under something pertaining to child care issues, like DOCS.

Over 16

I have no doubt differnet seatblets, seat restraints etc have some bearing too. But a 15 yr old sits in a normal seat.

Under 16
You are right, I believe the age delineation is likely to be for a number of reasons and attributing responsibility is definitely one of them.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #67
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Here is a REALLY common misconception:

AUs are ugly.

C'mon people, secretly you ALL love them
Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidecrows02
Yes, good point - I had intended to point out that this was for SA only
I did try and research SA legislation but their website is crap, I did however note that for road rules they refer to the Australian Road Rules 2009 and provide a link (which didn't work). So it seems that they use the Australia Road Rules and if this is the case (note I said IF), either the detective is wrong or it was a while ago and the legislation has changed.
Quote:
Don't say that or we'll have laws where we can get busted for taking off "slightly too quickly" even though the police don't have a way to measure it, and neither do us drivers.
Don't look now but there already is and has been for a long time. My brother got done and in the infringement it was worded something to the effect of "excessive acceleration". He revved up his SS ute and dropped the clutch at a set of lights, took off really quick and won the traffic light drags (even though the car next him was not actually racing him). The problem was there was an unmarked cop behind him at the time.

Last edited by geckoGT; 09-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v[]
you do have to indicate when merging at the end of overtaking lanes... so many people dont...
AND AT THE SPEED OF THE ROAD YOU ARE MERGING ONTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Here is a REALLY common misconception:

AUs are ugly.

C'mon people, secretly you ALL love them
Agreed
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #70
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
I did try and research SA legislation but their website is crap, I did however not that for road rules they refer to the Australian Road Rules 2009 and provide a link (which didn't work). So it seems that they use the Australia Road Rules and if this is the case (note I said IF), either the detective is wrong or it was a while ago and the legislation has changed.

Don't look now but there already is and has been for a long time. My brother got done and in the infringement it was worded something to the effect of "excessive acceleration". He revved up his SS ute and dropped the clutch at a set of lights, took off really quick and won the traffic light drags (even though the car next him was not actually racing him). The problem was there was an unmarked cop behind him at the time.
be interesting to see what the law really is - might make a call tomoz
Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #71
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Is it true that if you're from Frankston and female and have been on the plonk, then you can shove half the school in the boot of your car on your way home?

Only if its a magna mate

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #72
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear, I didn't mean to but it looks like i've

I was aiming for a bit of interesting insight on various cars/models/engines that most of us might have the wrong information on (or not have any at all). I did not intend for it to become another speeding/road rules thread.

Anyway, carry on gentlemen/ladies!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #73
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All police care about road safety.
Today I saw an unmarked police car speeding 110-120 in a 100 zone tailgating a ute, then up the road suddenly pulled into a turning lane and stopped, got out walk into the middle of the road and put his hand up at an approaching semitrailer (which was traveling at 100) to get him to stop..... no OH&S rules would allow police to do this and it's not the smartest thing to do either.

About 5 minutes earlier I saw the same police car do 2 U-turns over a double white lines in moderate traffic in about teh space for 3 minutes.
It was a unmarked Gold SS and had no flashing lights or sirens, so if not in an emergency they must obey all road rules.

No I am not having a go at police, just these guys in particular. In my 200km travels today this police car was by far the most dangerous driver I saw.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #74
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
About 5 minutes earlier I saw the same police car do 2 U-turns over a double white lines in moderate traffic in about teh space for 3 minutes.
It was a unmarked Gold SS and had no flashing lights or sirens, so if not in an emergency they must obey all road rules.
Not entirely true.

Quote:
305 Exemption for drivers of police vehicles
(1) A provision of the Australian Road Rules does not apply to
the driver of a police vehicle if:
(a) in the circumstances:
(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not
apply; and
(b) if the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving — the
vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or
sounding an alarm.
Note Motor vehicle and police vehicle is defined in the dictionary.
(2) Subrule (1) (b) does not apply to the driver if, in the
circumstances, it is reasonable:
(a) not to display the light or sound the alarm; or
(b) for the vehicle not to be fitted or equipped with a blue
or red flashing light or an alarm.
Basically this means they are exempt from all elements of the road rules as long as they take reasonable care (that they must be able to defend in court) and they have reasonable cause to do so.

Ambulance and Fire have to use beacons and siren to be exempt but the police do not. This is greatly due to the need to pull over a motorist, flicking the lights on may alert the motorist and allow them opportunity to run before vehicle identity has been established. It is more effective to come up behind, establish ID and then flick the lights on.

And they are allowed to step onto the road to stop traffic, what are they going to do, stand 5m off to the side and whisper "stop please"?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #75
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Oh dear, I didn't mean to but it looks like i've

I was aiming for a bit of interesting insight on various cars/models/engines that most of us might have the wrong information on (or not have any at all). I did not intend for it to become another speeding/road rules thread.

Anyway, carry on gentlemen/ladies!
Sorry mate, you have been around long enough to know what happens with thread subjects like this one. It is because there are so many misconceptions regarding road law, police and road safety. It was only a matter of time.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #76
burnz
VFII SS UTE

FACT: more ppl die traveling too and from work than any holiday period..
Old 10-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #77
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently the GT sticker stripes on my XY are meant to be painted on, according to a guy at the car wash I was chatting to who struck up a conversation, he claimed to have owned 2 phase 3's as well, think he had been drinking a few too many bicardi breezers
Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #78
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also you spend more time with your workmates than you do with your own family
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
also you spend more time with your workmates than you do with your own family
Averaging 60 hours a week at work, that is so true.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #80
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry mate, you have been around long enough to know what happens with thread subjects like this one. It is because there are so many misconceptions regarding road law, police and road safety. It was only a matter of time.
I have been around here more than long enough to know that when it moves onto subjects like these it results in thread closure.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #81
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And they are allowed to step onto the road to stop traffic, what are they going to do, stand 5m off to the side and whisper "stop please"?

All of what you said made sense until this.

Why would you walk onto a highway to stop a truck when he could of pulled the truck over like most cops do, get behind him and whack on the sirens. Or even put his flashing lights on while in front of the truck and get him to stop.

They police car literally overtook the truck very quickly, went a few hundred metres up the road, got out of the car and walked onto the road. Can you explain why the did it this way. Am I missing something?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #82
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

speed doesn't kill.. the idiot that pulls out in front of you at warp speed is the one that kills...

smoking kills.. not when i fry tyres..it makes me happy
Old 10-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #83
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycles4eva
speed doesn't kill.. the idiot that pulls out in front of you at warp speed is the one that kills...

smoking kills.. not when i fry tyres..it makes me happy
That's correct speed doesn't kill. Suddenly becoming stationary is what does.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #84
LXL15

Speed doesn't kill...acceleration (or deceleration ie, crashing) does. You could accelerate at 1m/s^2 for ten years and not die, until you start approaching the speed of light and relativity takes over from Newtonian physics, of course...then again, if you're not shielded from the air (or whatever is trying to slow you down) you could get squashed...like being run over while lying on the ground...
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #85
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

General relativity and the impossibility to accelerate at or faster than the speed of light are Einstein theories (since we are on a thread of clearing misconceptions).
Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #86
HLC
Audi S3

Common Misconception:

AU's are Ugly. :O
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #87
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
All of what you said made sense until this.

Why would you walk onto a highway to stop a truck when he could of pulled the truck over like most cops do, get behind him and whack on the sirens. Or even put his flashing lights on while in front of the truck and get him to stop.

They police car literally overtook the truck very quickly, went a few hundred metres up the road, got out of the car and walked onto the road. Can you explain why the did it this way. Am I missing something?
Easy, because most of the time you sit behind a truck (off to one side so you are in their mirrors) for km after km and they do not see you (because they don't check their mirrors on a straight highway) and they don't hear you (because the engine is loud and they have the stereo blaring over that).

Happens to us all the time at work. We sit there for ages changing siren tone, flashing lights etc and they have no idea we are there.

I am sure he made a judgement that the truck had sufficient time to stop, did it stop or did it run him over?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #88
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Common Misconception:

AU's are Ugly. :O
We are not biting on that one
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #89
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXL15
Speed doesn't kill...acceleration (or deceleration ie, crashing) does. You could accelerate at 1m/s^2 for ten years and not die, until you start approaching the speed of light and relativity takes over from Newtonian physics, of course...then again, if you're not shielded from the air (or whatever is trying to slow you down) you could get squashed...like being run over while lying on the ground...
We do not have any form of machine that could withstand the resulting speed that you have used in your example, so at some point the machine will fail and you will die and speed caused it (you did not hit anything)

My point is, theoretically it is possible that speed can kill without a sudden stop. But I agree, at road speeds it is the sudden stop that kills you, the speed just makes it more likely to.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #90
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything and everything with regards to the Prius being a 'green car'

Don't snap my undies.
Closed Thread