Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Tell me what you love about wine...

Having consumed a particularly fine bottle this evening, I am feeling the effects of imbibing said grapey-goodness. The bottle in question is Peter Lehmann's Clancys - Shiraz/Cab Sauv/Merlot blend, bottled in 2003. $14 a bottle if bought by the case.

What do you love about wine, then? For me:

1. The sound of the cork popping out with a waiter's corkscrew.
2. Looking at the bottle itself, letting it breathe, knowing it's lovely.
3. The "glug-glug" sound of it being decanted into a large wine glass.
4. The first taste. Never as good as you think. But the second sip betters it.
5. The feeling of warmth as the bottle is slowly drained over the course of an evening.
6. Deciding whether to open a second bottle, even though it's a schoolnight.

These are some of the things I love about wine. There are many more, I'm sure, but I've had too much of it to remember them.

The answer to point six I shall leave open as I reach for the rack and the corkscrew.

Any other wine-lovers out there enjoying some fermented grapes? Or am I alone and should therefore stop rambling and posting random crap?

Discuss.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Having consumed a particularly fine bottle this evening, I am feeling the effects of imbibing said grapey-goodness. The bottle in question is Peter Lehmann's Clancys - Shiraz/Cab Sauv/Merlot blend, bottled in 2003. $14 a bottle if bought by the case.
What do you love about wine, then? For me:
5. The feeling of warmth as the bottle is slowly drained over the course of an evening.
These are some of the things I love about wine. There are many more, I'm sure, but I've had too much of it to remember them.
The answer to point six I shall leave open as I reach for the rack and the corkscrew.
Any other wine-lovers out there enjoying some fermented grapes? Or am I alone and should therefore stop rambling and posting random crap?
Discuss.
7.The best thing about opening a good bottle of wine is the people you enjoy it with.

as for point 6. if in doubt yes crack another. :
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Yes, but my wife is in Melbourne. This is why I have drunk one bottle (second is in progress!) as I would not be allowed under normal circumstances. It would get me into trouble and she would disapprove!

Have to agree though - wine with friends is great. Some say drinking anything on your own is tantamount to being a social outcast and punishable by death and misery, not necessarily in that order. I disagree. I think it's just a lovely thing to drink, on your own or not. If drinking on your tod is bad, you're the problem not the wine. The wine can do no wrong. Beats the sh*t out of blackcurrant cordial, anyway.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I like the fact that you get a pillow at the end so that the hangover isn't quite deadly...

oh wait you mean REAL wine...
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Nothing. it tastes like stale ИИИИ. not that i know what that tastes like, but after drinking wine i have a pretty fair idea.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
gtfpv
GT

the only thing i like about wine is when someone picks a good red . as i have a horrible habit of picking a bad one . but a good one always goes down very well.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
adxr8
Rebuilding the ED

If you go to a party and its free wine and beer the more people drinking wine the more beer for me..... :baby bott

347 Dart block:All the Scat goodies, Edelbrock Victor Jnr's, Trickflow manifold and Vortech on the stand/ work in progress
adxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Vinegar is for cooking and putting on hot chips !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

/me likes the amorous effect it has Having dinner with the g/f & sinking a bottle of wine (or two) is always a good way to spend (part of) an evening!

Having said that, I don't drink it at BBQs, shed nights, etc :ymca:
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #10
myxr6
Banned

Nothing , i cant stand the smell or taste of the stuff ,or anything with a wine base.
Also i dont drink beer , horrible stuff.
YES I do drink , Bundy , Kaluha , Drambuie . benadictine and other assorted top shelf stuff.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I like a nice dry white myself ... and the odd red (has to be a good one .... and I am like FPVGT ... I can't pick a good red ... LOL)

Only drink it with a nice dinner ... or at some parties when there's a cheese platter or the like there.

Not a beer drinker ... the stuff is just wrong ... the look and smell of beer is a turn off in itself. Not for me.

Usually a spirits drinker though ... but like the odd drop of wine though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah the taste of a good merlot, what Neeek said and a whole lot more.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
Ringo
I see you....

What do I love about wine?.....hmmmmm everything but mostly the drinking of the stuff. I'd have it on corn flakes for breakfast if the cornflakes didn't ruin the taste.

I used to be a spirits man through and through but had a glass of Richmond Grove Chardonnay thrust into my hand one day and was told to drink it.....it was good.....and I went on from there to taste eveything I could.

I drink a fair bit of the stuff now and can go though a 2 litre cask in a few nights. I also love a beer but that's another topic...

I love the colours. A deep ruby red glinting in the glass of a Shiraz, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Grenache. The pale red of a pinot, or the sexy pink of a Rose. The pale straw colour of a lucious NZ Sauv Blanc or the deep yellow of an aged chardonnay....I never get sick of it.

I love the smell. I see people just sniffing their glasses sometimes - Bzzzz wrong. Stick your schnozz inot the glass until the edges of the glass are touching your cheeks then take a lungful of air. Air will move around you mouth and you'll get a smell taste sensation that is different from just a sniff.

I can walk around bottle shops for ages and have been known to have a yabber to people at wineries asking questions and absorbing knowledge. I have done 2 wine courses and learnt a lot out of them...helps to see through the maketing bull tish that is written on a bottle and the differences b/w bottles.

Mrs Ringo calls me a wine ****er but she has absorbed it all too and I have heard her rattling off jargon and recommendations to others so she is called wine ****er's wife.

Wine - After a late start at the age of 25 I am having a wonderful love affair with the stuff.

Funny story for the lovers of the Four Sisters Wine range. Four Sisters is a hit and have a particularly fashionable in the lesbian communitiy due to the name. The name 'Four Sisters' comes from the marketing brain of the daughter of the wine maker - you guessed it she has three other sisters. Anyway her dad the wine maker is a bit of an obsessive, eccentric fellow who doesn't get out much.

A wine critic who I got this story from was up at their winery in the Grampians (N/W of Melbourne) in Vic having a chat to the winemaker.

The wine critic mentions that Four Sisters has become 'the wine to have' in the lesbian community.

"That's great," said the wine maker, and then after a pause "....what's a lesbian?"
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #14
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
7.The best thing about opening a good bottle of wine is the people you enjoy it with.
Couldnt have said it better.

I must admit i certainly dont know my wine very well. However, I know what i like. The people i usually drink wine with know a thing or two and always have something nice to recommend. Have spent many an evening in the past 3 years drinking $500 worth of wine with a $100 meal! lol

Something thats always fascinated me with wine is the 'diamonds in the rough' that are floating around out there. A $10 bottle that can stand proud next to the $50 bottle it's sitting next to.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmmmmmmmmm wine ........ I agree totally with all the good stuff that has been said, especially the part about sharing it with friends. My OH has always been a beer & bourbon bloke but is now accepting a few samples of what I get. Hes not so sure about the Jacobs Creek Cab Sav as yet but I must say it just does it for me at the moment ..... was never a red drinker but have lately been known to topple a bottle or two

The Jacons creek Pinor Noir is rather nice with strawberries in the bottom of the flute as well .... OH is quiet taken with that ;)

For a normal evening tipple I rather enjoy a nice dry white though .........

For those who think its taste isnt right yu havent tried the right wine for you as yet .......... keep on trying ....... I know there is the right wine for all of us
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
7. Relise your a panzie and go grab a case of beer

J/K, nothing goes down like a nice red with a fantastic meal. Well a beer + BBQ goes down better but how can you beat that?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Title
Tell me what you love about wine...
... the fact that I don't waste my money on the ИИИИ.

Beer and spirits, won't drink wine, don't like it.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #18
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Ringo ... that's a well written piece, but surely you like the bouquet ... not "the smell".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Wine TV will be on Select TV (Pas 8).

http://www.winetelevision.com/

Or this one . . .

http://www.winetv.tv/explore.htm
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #20
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I'll drink anything, wine, beer, spirits.... I like the sweet merlots the best... any recommendations? (don't mind Brown Brothers dolchetta and syrah too)

I drink wine more on special occasions with my better half or close friends, so i'd say i enjoy the company that comes with the wine.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #21
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Dont mind wine. Reds can give me a migraine, so I only drink it when I'm alone or with someone else...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #22
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Love late harvest grapes, dessert wines......
Old 10-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

The best thing about wine is the cask, it makes a great flotation device when you have drank 4 litres and can no longer feel your legs in the deep end of the pool.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #24
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

The best thing about drinking red wine can be not only the company but the accompaniments too. As was mentioned earlier, dont forget the cheese!

Even if you think you don't like "smelly" chees, try this:

A bottle of cheap McGuigans Cabernet Shiraz black label or similar with Pierre Tonon French Brie from Harris Farms.

This is one of the only french bries I have ever seen here and it leaves the local stuff out in the cold. To boot, its usually cheaper!!

Eaten with a slurp if the ine creates a taste sensation that I am addicted to!

I'm on my way to get some now......cannot recommend this highly enough- pure cream, no stink : : :

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
The best thing about wine is the cask, it makes a great flotation device when you have drank 4 litres and can no longer feel your legs in the deep end of the pool.
Only if you're still sober enough to blow into the bladder and reinflate it. Otherwise the cardboard just gets waterlogged and you and the whole lot go down to Davy Jones locker.

I too like the company and also getting NNNNed. Red wine's supposed to be better for you (antioxidants) but probably not as nice in the Australian heat.

Generally prefer preservative free Budvar though - best beer in the world.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 AM   #26
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Best thing about wine.....Makes my old man happy!

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #27
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

The thing I love about wine.... ?

The pay I get from bottling it

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #28
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I don't like much about it
Last time i got a gutful into me, i fertilised the bosses garden bed!
Not Cool!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
I'll drink anything, wine, beer, spirits.... I like the sweet merlots the best...
That wonderful Cairns climate has got at your wine mate ... sweet merlots ?????
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I worked in a bottle shop for a year and a half and really got to appreciate wines. Thank god I live in Australia where you can get very good wines for about $20. Favorites would have to be SA reds.
I guess because of the high quality and low price of our wines that Aussies drank more wine than beer last year.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post