Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 13-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Default Boss 1/4 mile times?

Just wondering what sort of 1/4 mile times you guys are running after your mods? Now that calder is re-open im thinkin of heading down there and giving mine a launch.

Old 13-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

11.763 @ 116 mph

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Thats awsome Is that N/A?
Old 13-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Ratters car is the Bolt on + Tune Record Holder so probably not the best car to get an "Average" from, yes it's N/A.

Most sedans owners are happy to crack a 12, looking at your mods with some Semi's on the back you should be aiming for atleast mid-low 12 territory.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
DBL15
love being blown

most would be in the 13's from what i have seen

a 12 is great from N/A but just your normal everyday car is in the high 13's and if a manual then unless your good on the shifts you can expect 14's

but yes its just a personal thing some people can really drive these cars and get great numbers and speed but others just have fun in the high 13's low 14's IMO

MPH is a good indercation about power etc

remember the 60 foot is where plenty of time can be lost with to much wheel spin or bogging down apart from that get out there and have some legal fun : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

With his mods, if he doesn't crack a 13 atleast he either needs a driving lesson or i'd be knocking on the tuners door.

Mine with Pacemaker 4-1's & G&D Airbox Ran a 14.0 and if i had cracked a decent Launch and 60 Footer would have done a 13.xx No probs.

If yours is lowered, you will have even more trouble off the line, doing practice start or two in mine now i really have to use the clutch as if i don't ride it it just tramps or wheelspins.
Old 13-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
tweeked
N/A all the way

Ran 12.59 @ 110mph with MT street radials, best of 12.73 @ the same MPH with street tyres. Havent run with stripped weight yet, all just with the spare and jack out.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
Ibrox90
Banned

Excuse my ignorance.

Wouldnt it partly depend on which boss it was

for example, 260, 290, 302, and 315

Bf and Ba and then FG???????????

Just pondering

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

12.4 @ 114 street tires full weight , heathcote.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got a 13.7 in the fg 290, motor stock and 3500km on the odo, was running on my 20's, bit slippery, i'm bout to get back down with a tune and some semi's on friday, i'll update time then ;)

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
xr8ted

13.8 in the manual BA XR8. Modified intake. Street Tyres. Full weight @ Heathcoote.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Check the timeslips section of this forum - gives you full details on the pass and brief details on the cars set up. Always a good read.
GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Well iv never launched it down a 1/4 mile so will have some fun getting used to it heaps of fun actually. I am hoping to crack the 12's guess il have to wait and see tho.

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciate it.
Old 14-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Hi guys couple of years ago,i went to a club drag day(first and only day at the strip) in my ba xr8 manual with bolt ons(229rwkws),sure-shifter and could only manage a 14.8@165kmh : -my uncle in std ba xr8 auto was doing 14.3's all day-I think it was probably my gear changing,I have since upgraded to a bf2 xr8 zf auto with bolt ons(241rwkw's)and will be going to another club drag day in a few weeks,i would love to do under 14s cheers
Wolfinsheepsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLI
Well iv never launched it down a 1/4 mile so will have some fun getting used to it heaps of fun actually. I am hoping to crack the 12's guess il have to wait and see tho.

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciate it.

Hi mate, good luck getting a 12 without any previous 1/4 experience. Burnout or bog, that will be the options until you find that sweet smelling, clutch riding G spot that will allow some road speed before hitting the gas proper. You will have fun.

I can't launch to save myself, and with 225rwkw could only get a 14.0* something. car had a couple of thousand ks on it at that stage, but was stock apart from circuit orientated suspension. And as has been said - harder springs and dampers will result in less power down, less weight transfer by a lot.

let us know how you go.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taupiriboy
Hi guys couple of years ago,i went to a club drag day(first and only day at the strip) in my ba xr8 manual with bolt ons(229rwkws),sure-shifter and could only manage a 14.8@165kmh : -my uncle in std ba xr8 auto was doing 14.3's all day-I think it was probably my gear changing,I have since upgraded to a bf2 xr8 zf auto with bolt ons(241rwkw's)and will be going to another club drag day in a few weeks,i would love to do under 14s cheers
With 241 and ZF, you will do sub 14 easy as. If you don't, park it and give it to someone that can drive : .

Seriously though, our GT with 240rwkw and 4 speed used to easily do 13.6 on street tyres, my XR8 with bolt ons and shift mod got to 13.195 on semi slicks and used to consistently run 13.3.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Talking

Just the usual bolt ons.... ZF box 260 12.9's 107mph
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
Just the usual bolt ons.... ZF box 260 12.9's 107mph
Gee thats promising news and thanks Gecko GT might have to import you to drive haha-a sub 13 would be amazing,looking to change diff gears(3.2 or 3.4 ratio not sure what you's recomend?)and doing under drives at the same time(yeah pump gears also),but wont be doing these mods for a few months until get some more funds,cheers go the mighty blue oval(forgot about Bathurst already)
Old 14-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi mate, good luck getting a 12 without any previous 1/4 experience. Burnout or bog, that will be the options until you find that sweet smelling, clutch riding G spot that will allow some road speed before hitting the gas proper. You will have fun.

I can't launch to save myself, and with 225rwkw could only get a 14.0* something. car had a couple of thousand ks on it at that stage, but was stock apart from circuit orientated suspension. And as has been said - harder springs and dampers will result in less power down, less weight transfer by a lot.

let us know how you go.
Yeah i ended up lunching my clutch after about the 10th attempt. Slipping the clutch a bit was the only way I could get a good launch, but I payed the price a week later when my clutch went and started crunching gears. Have not been down the 1/4 since. But boy oh boy was it fun.
Old 14-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex

let us know how you go.
Haha well i have had plenty of practice launching my car just not down the 1/4 and yeah i know that clutch smell almost the worst smell out
there

I have a few bits and pieces to add to my car before i go down there which will prob be december 4th I hope...
Old 14-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #21
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Gee thats promising news and thanks Gecko GT might have to import you to drive haha-a sub 13 would be amazing,looking to change diff gears(3.2 or 3.4 ratio not sure what you's recomend?)and doing under drives at the same time(yeah pump gears also),but wont be doing these mods for a few months until get some more funds,cheers go the mighty blue oval(forgot about Bathurst already)

I think 3.2'S would be the go with a ZF.... there will be others who will disagree and go lower though.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11.92@116mph, spare and jack removed, running weld rims with full slicks, cant get it down the track without them. Removed tailgate and rear muffler the same night went 11.89@116mph. Mods- cams, ported heads.

Have fun at the strip but dont have to many expectations running a manual, it will take some practice and manuals are best run with some decent tyres, MT streets or thereabouts other wise you will struggle.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
Yeah i ended up lunching my clutch after about the 10th attempt. Slipping the clutch a bit was the only way I could get a good launch, but I payed the price a week later when my clutch went and started crunching gears. Have not been down the 1/4 since. But boy oh boy was it fun.
Agreed, I would like to go to Calder for "One more crack" on the stock Clutch but im starting to get the feeling i won't make it home, best to get my Option 3+ first i think...
Old 15-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #24
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Yeah I was thinking about some MT streets......Do i need to strenghthin my uni's or axels before i put MT's on?
Old 15-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #25
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about some MT streets......Do i need to strenghthin my uni's or axels before i put MT's on?
The CV shafts go pretty easy so i wouldn't launch too hard.
Old 15-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #26
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I think the guy who bought it off put billet 600hp rated ones in il have to make sure tho I still gotta drive it home haha
Old 15-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
I think the guy who bought it off put billet 600hp rated ones in il have to make sure tho I still gotta drive it home haha
Thats why im a bit edgy going to the strip as calder is a 2.5 hour trip home and if i drive down i have no other way of getting back. :togo:
Old 15-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
I think 3.2'S would be the go with a ZF.... there will be others who will disagree and go lower though.
Thanks for the info mate do you have a zf box and run this ratio(3.2) :
Old 16-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
ROLLI
KEEPUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Thats why im a bit edgy going to the strip as calder is a 2.5 hour trip home and if i drive down i have no other way of getting back. :togo:

Yeah that would suck! Its not that far for me only about 45min cant wait now just wanna get down there.
Old 16-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the info mate do you have a zf box and run this ratio(3.2) :
A mate had 3.23 gears behind his ZF worked really well, went from a 13.0 to 12.85 with hedders, cai and tune. Some have gone as far as 3.45 but personally I think the ZF has a very short 1st gear the 3.45's are getting a bit low for it.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post