Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default IPad virus control

Hey people any descant IPad virus apps?

Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default Re: IPad virus control

As far as I'm aware an anti virus program isn't required for ios devices.

They don't get viruses like windows os.(unless jailbroken)

They can receive infected files but they won't do anything as they are designed for windows. You can pass an infected file from the iPad to a pc via email.

Last edited by My poor XF; 24-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
My poor XF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought that you could actually get viruses, as long as the virus was designed for apple products... anyone wit tech knowledge please help?
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I thought that you could actually get viruses, as long as the virus was designed for apple products... anyone wit tech knowledge please help?
There are no known iPad viruses. You can receive a virus, say in a dodgy email, but it won't have any effect unless you pass it onto a pc.

That's not to say that sometime in the future somebody will develop a virus to target iOS products. But to do it they would need to sneak it through apples app scrutineering process, or target jailbroken devices.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interesting.
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
But to do it they would need to sneak it through apples app scrutineering process
Apparently very easy to do and been demonstrated a number of times.

Malware is what you should be concerned about on mobile devices, not so much viruses.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Apparently very easy to do and been demonstrated a number of times.

Malware is what you should be concerned about on mobile devices, not so much viruses.
It is doable on iOS but Apple products are far less susceptible to Malware mostly because of the distribution model.
Old 26-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could try installing a hammer into it just to check ? but apparently this will only work once
Old 28-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Werd.
nou

Can't get a virus on iOS, not worth worrying about. There are antivirus apps for Android, but even with 150 apps, some illegitimately obtained from potentially dodgy sources, I've never had a virus scanner pick anything up.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

thousands of viruses are being written each day specificly designed for mac,
and other apple products..
it's only a matter of time!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
thousands of viruses are being written each day specificly designed for mac,
and other apple products..
it's only a matter of time!
And yet Apple say that you do not require virus protection for their OSX or iOS devices.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
And yet Apple say that you do not require virus protection for their OSX or iOS devices.
of course they said that, but say nothing about the virus/hacking/malwear, that they were obliged to report..
Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
of course they said that, but say nothing about the virus/hacking/malwear, that they were obliged to report..
I don't get what you are saying. Out of these 1000s of viruses being written every day for Apple devices, how many are effective and infecting devices?

Apple say there is no need for virus protection software.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
I don't get what you are saying. Out of these 1000s of viruses being written every day for Apple devices, how many are effective and infecting devices?

around 10% of the viruses are getting mac's

i'll find the federal web site for viruses for OS when i have more time..
most common

safari: has more hole's than swiss cheese, and apple has known since 2006 able to run script.
iphone: when updated on pc.
intel: the processors are not protected on a mac...
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Apple say many things.... what you choose to believe on the other hand.

Why would Apple admit that they are now a days under attack almost as much as Windows - when the 'No virus' aspect is one of their selling points...???

I am aware of a couple of iJoke devices in the office here that have 'bricked' due to infections.
(IT crew, so more likely to happen compared to a Mum/Dad user)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
HVAC PRO

iOS is a permissions based system where apple is the gatekeeper of these permissions and because programs/Apps can only be installed from the Apple app store where apple is in control and approves all apps on the store these apps are never allowed permission to access certain parts of the os where they could do harm. There has been some small problems like the little safari PDF vulnerability that Apple fixed with an OS update, but in theory unless your jailbroken allowing you to install non Apple approved apps and access root parts of the OS there is very little fear of IOS viruses, BUT that doesn't mean they will never be worth worrying about just at the moment IOS is one of the safest mobile OS around.
OSX on the other hand may be a little more concerning yes once upon a time apple computers just didn't get viruses there just weren't any because it wasn't worth a hackers time to code a virus that might affect 5000 computers apple computers just were not as popular were as code a virus for a windows machine and you have a much larger target with all the businesses that use windows on all their office machines instead of 5000 computers you may hit 50,000, this isn't the case these days though yes windows is still the choice for business machines due to various reasons but in the home Apple products have become very popular and more and more people are buying apple since the popularity of the iPhone so viruses and malware on the Mac may become more common.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC PRO
iOS is a permissions based system where apple is the gatekeeper of these permissions and because programs/Apps can only be installed from the Apple app store where apple is in control and approves all apps on the store these apps are never allowed permission to access certain parts of the os where they could do harm.
Hard to read the lot, but I'll stop you here.

It would be impossible for Apple to test every single app for vulnerabilities. Late last year, a developer put it to the test and got an app approved that essentially phoned home to his server, allowing him to execute commands at will. It wasn't done with malice but to prove a point, which he pointed out to Apple as it remained undiscovered. He was subsequently banned.

I also understand that app updates aren't tested as rigorously as the initial release and Malware can sneak in under that guise which has also been shown as a security hole.

Virus, Malware, Trojan free is a selling point for Apple, one that's quickly being eroded. I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't store sensitive data on mobile devices.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #18
HVAC PRO

yeah sorry about the long spiel was just talking about this today at work and i totally agree with you about sensitive data on mobile devices.
I suppose what i meant to say was in theory IOS is safe but obviously has its weaknesses, and ultimately shouldn't be trusted.
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC PRO
I suppose what i meant to say was in theory IOS is safe but obviously has its weaknesses, and ultimately shouldn't be trusted.
The best security is user vigilance. Don't be one of the first to download the latest fart app and you should be right.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not aware of any AV for iPad and the general consensus seems to be Apple don't deem it necessary.

My understanding is that the OS is quite secure but also restrictive and last I remember there is no Flash or Java support which means that you close the loops to any exploits in those platforms.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post