Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
rayjaymor

Default Weird Brakes

Hey Guys,

Before I race it to the mechanic in a blind panic, I thought I'd get some alternative opinions on something...

About 6 weeks ago I noticed I had spongey brakes. Quickly checked the reservoir, it was a little low. Thinking 'great, must have a leak somewhere' I topped it up.

Have watched it like a hawk since: not only has the fluid not dropped/lowered at all, I can't find any evidence of a leak anywhere either.
The brakes have also worked perfectly -- I even pulled a trailer during the time without issue.

I scratched it off as maybe the guys didn't bleed/fill the system properly when they replaced all four pads about 12-18 months ago.

Now, cut to this morning: My battery just completely shot itself on the highway to work this morning. Spent ages trying to get it started, bit the bullet and got a new battery.

The brakes are soft again however... I've checked the reservoir and it's still full this time...

Is there *anything* in the system that could cause an air leak from sudden loss of electrical power or something?

I haven't had a chance to re-check for leaks yet, but given the level hasn't lowered at all in 6 weeks (and it's been used HEAVILY in that time) I doubt highly that it's a huge leak --- but I have to assume there is air in the system somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
The best way not to damage the ute or embarass ford owners is to replace the ute with a VL commo with 15" steelies on the back and slushbox :sm_headba
rayjaymor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Re: Weird Brakes

Your fluid can go down as your pads wear and the pistons move closer to the rotors. Spongy pedal usually means air in the system. Before you race off can you bleed them yourself? Probably due for a fluid change anyway if the fluid is older than 2 years as it absorbs moisture.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
olfella
Cranky old bastard

the electrics and brakes are two seperate systems and I would not think there is a link to your battery woes.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
rayjaymor

Hmm... started the car again for my lunch break. Gave the pedal a good few pumps, after about the fifth or sixth push pedal pressure came back and now it's back to normal. Warning light is gone, brakes pull tight again.

If I'm lucky it could just be the vacuum booster lost pressure when power went. Otherwise hopefully just an air pocket that bleed out should fix.

*fingers crossed*
Quote:
The best way not to damage the ute or embarass ford owners is to replace the ute with a VL commo with 15" steelies on the back and slushbox :sm_headba
Old 12-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
rayjaymor

If it helps, I did have to use the brake pedal pretty savagely without engine power to stop the car when my battery s*** itself (driving at 70kph and just topped a hill) so maybe the vacuum needed to build back up?
Quote:
Old 13-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
natedogg1986

Intake manifold gasket leak at number 6 intake port. That's where booster gets its feed from.

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
rayjaymor

Got the car back from the mechanics yesterday.

They couldn't find anything out of place with my brakes, after describing in detail what happened they're pretty convinced it was just the vacuum booster taking time to kick back in - especially as once the pressure came back it stayed back and didn't fluctuate.

My earlier need to fill the reservoir is just because my pads are wearing down and need replacing soon.

So --- all sorted and no longer panicking!

Except for the bit where my battery dying was caused by the awesome power-steering pump placement by Ford ....

So, brand new alternator installed and new power steering hose going in... yay... :P
Quote:
Old 15-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
partzkid

I just had this happen, got to keep an eye on those high-pressure power steering line leaks into the alternator.......LOL
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post