Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
tim2x

Default Unemployed Storys.

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone would like to share some storys of the time they were unemployed.

What was the length? Why? how long? What changed?

I know some people that have been unemployed for 5 years straight! just would like storys!

Thanks!

tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did 4.5 years of Uni, quit it (1 semester left, but had enough)
Looked for work...got rejected for the same reasons: "Not enough XP, no qualification."
Was unemployed officially for 9 months.

I did find work at a furniture factory doing admin and accounts for 14 bucks an hour (I was 24 at the time), but was sacked as they wanted somebody more experienced.
Was called up by the manager's son (who has nothing to do with the business) at 9pm on a Thursday to say I wasn't required anymore.

That major lack of professional respect towards me hurt, but in hindsight, if people are prepared to treat an employee in that manner, I realised that it's a good thing I didn't work for them.

So I've started TAFE this semester as I found UNI the most fake place I've ever been to, where the people were more preoccupied with their appearance and social status than who they actually were.

People at TAFE are far friendlier. So it's good.

But enemployment for me wasn't hard seeing I don't have any responsibilities outside of myself (no kids etc.), I am not paying anything off etc. so I got by just fine.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
So I've started TAFE this semester as I found UNI the most fake place I've ever been to, where the people were more preoccupied with their appearance and social status than who they actually were.
You obviously didn't do engineering then. We all though the same thing about those on the wrong end of campus (arts, law, etc). There were far less tossers in engineering, and the ones that were there got cut down to size pretty quick smart. Ah, good times!

But seriously, good on you for going to tafe and pulling yourself out of a rut.

Personally, I havent been out of a job since I started working casual at 16.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
You obviously didn't do engineering then. We all though the same thing about those on the wrong end of campus (arts, law, etc). There were far less tossers in engineering, and the ones that were there got cut down to size pretty quick smart. Ah, good times!

But seriously, good on you for going to tafe and pulling yourself out of a rut.

Personally, I havent been out of a job since I started working casual at 16.
Funnily enough, I tell people that I reckon if I did engineering, I would have been happier.

I did Primary Education...and I can tell you that the future of our schools is not rosy-red.
There are people entering primary schools as teachers who can't spell, write proper sentences, respond properly to a question or do any form of maths beyond basic arithmetic (X + / -).

But TAFE is good. People are generally more mature and settled, so they have a greater emphasis on values, which includes respecting people for who they are.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Im unemployed at the moment, used to drive trucks for Le Cornu's ... been out for a month now, but found a new career path that i should be starting next week ;)

my time off's been good, watchin movie's goin out, been able to meet my partner like almost everyday for brekky n lunch, n my parents have been good helping me out and i made some money driving the trucks before that i had saved, so hasnt really been that bad, but have had to make some cash adjustments ... but thats part of life i spose
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Hally

Uranium,

Don't take this the wrong way, but it was my understanding to be a primary teacher the degree was 3 years? Did you change mid stream or something?
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
Uranium,

Don't take this the wrong way, but it was my understanding to be a primary teacher the degree was 3 years? Did you change mid stream or something?
Well where I went, the degree was four years.
Due to dwindling interest and an interesting late 2005 (failure, death etc.) I decided I couldn't commit to a full-load final year in 2006, so I only did half my obligation in 2006, and was going to do the rest in 2007.

I don't know why I would take it the wrong way...nothing bad said.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Funnily enough, I tell people that I reckon if I did engineering, I would have been happier.

I did Primary Education...and I can tell you that the future of our schools is not rosy-red.
There are people entering primary schools as teachers who can't spell, write proper sentences, respond properly to a question or do any form of maths beyond basic arithmetic (X + / -).

But TAFE is good. People are generally more mature and settled, so they have a greater emphasis on values, which includes respecting people for who they are.
I find Tafe' good value , should see the youngsters faces when I swear at them
This is the real world lad now shut the %^7 up thanks

most amusing.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I was unemployed for nearly 2 years and it was the pits.

I hated it every time I had to put in my Centrelink form every 2 weeks (before the log book system). I felt like a no good bum. No offence to those still genuinely struggling to find work.

I hated it so much I started up my own business so I felt a bit more normal. Since then that has opened up more doors for other things.

Its good we have a system that caters for those who are in trouble and need assistance, but for me I didnt feel right being unemployed and in the dole queue.

If you have the right frame of mind, you'll find opportunities will present itself.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was unemployed from 22 July 1977 up to 5 September 1977. It was a great holiday but I looked around at all the other dole bludgers and decided that it was not for me.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
tim2x

Thanks so much for the story guys, any more???

Ive been unemployed for 1.5 months .. i hate it, but having trouble finding work as im picky and in truth i think im in a rut, Im currently doing part time tafe but thinking about doing it full time, Altho there is a program thats called NEIS that lets ya start up ya own bussines, any one have any experience with it?
Old 29-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
Thanks so much for the story guys, any more???

Ive been unemployed for 1.5 months .. i hate it, but having trouble finding work as im picky and in truth i think im in a rut, Im currently doing part time tafe but thinking about doing it full time, Altho there is a program thats called NEIS that lets ya start up ya own bussines, any one have any experience with it?
I certainly have. When I was unemployed, I did the NEIS (new enterprise incentive scheme) and it did wonders for starting up my own company. they teach you the ins and outs of whats involved and give you advice that is useful to your business.

I suggest though that you have a business niche you want to head down as they wont bother with those who have no idea what they want to work in. Is there a product you want to sell? service you want to offer?

Its is really a good program and they designed to make people self reliant.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
tim2x

Blueoval, what busssiness did you start up if you dont mind me asking?

Im thinking about garderning.

Thanks!
Old 29-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #14
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
i have never had a job and never will. i have been on the dole now for 7 years and dont see why i should get a job. i get paid to do nothing so why should i do something? id prefer to sit on my bum drinking all day everyday and rake in everyone elses tax dollars. i LOVE AUSTRALIA!!

i pity all these silly people that go to work everyday.
:rolleyes: I really hope this is sarcasm :.

Im currently unemployed. But im not on the dole, and I will never go on it. I have applied for a few electrician apprenticeships, so we'll see what happens.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

Thanks!
I started up my own Architectural Building Design Company. It has been very fruitful as I have come to know a lot of different trades and practices that have helped with the growing of it. It also helped that my family is in one way or another involved with the Building Trade too.

NEIS helped me to find out information about my competitors and think of new ways to become competative. They also taught me to think of business ethics and how to continue to make your business grow and not die in the first year. I think from memory they also give you a small grant should you pass to help you set up your business too.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
i have never had a job and never will. i have been on the dole now for 7 years and dont see why i should get a job. i get paid to do nothing so why should i do something? id prefer to sit on my bum drinking all day everyday and rake in everyone elses tax dollars. i LOVE AUSTRALIA!!

If you're telling the truth - people like you are what is wrong with this country.

I was unemployed for almost 12 months before I started my current job (had a casual job 1 day a week during that time though), had had a few before that but that 12 months seemed like the longest time of my life. I used to hate getting up every morning knowing that I had nothing to do and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't change it. I actually went into the interview for the job I am doing now thinking 'stuff it, I know Im not going to get it so why bother trying" - didnt bother doing anything formal and walked out with the job. I was so thankful I got it and even now when I have days that I hate, I just think of that time.
Old 29-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
:rolleyes: I really hope this is sarcasm :.
I to hope its sarcasm as well, because I dont that mind that a large portion of my tax payer dollars $$$ goes to Social Security for people that genuinely need the assistance, but I do object to people who just wanted to bludge off the system eg dont want to find work. I dont know of any country that provides the kind of assisatnce Australia does and maybe that creates the attitude of some that say "Id prefer to sit on my bum all day everday and rake in everone else's tax dollars". That bolded statement really gets up my goat. :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I was unemployed (on purpose, I wanted a holiday) for a month about 12 years ago.

That was how long it took me to me to work out that I earned as much in a week on the dole as I used to pay weekly in tax!!

The worrying part was filling out the form and they ask you to tick the box for....

Male.
Female.
Other.

Other??
Old 29-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:

Thanks!
PM sent dude might give you some direction ... Also blueoval has done very well for himself with this new business, im very proud of my friend!

Quote:

You're joking right? ... it's people like you that makes me angry, it's low life, i pitty people with your attitude, get out there and work! how are you ment to raise a sucsesfull family and give your future kids the best they can have if you sit on your a55 all day doing nothing? ... you will realise this, hopefully when it's not to late for you to change!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 29-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You're brave posting that if you are in fact being serious :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Male.
Female.
Other.

Other??
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMFAO hahahahha ...

for all those "Alien" friends of ours? :P :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 29-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #22
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have a job but I'm not on any benifits, I'd really like a full time job and to be normal and have enough money to do the things I want to do (like have kids) or buy a house or drive my car more than once a month when the drags are on. But living out in the sticks where I do means I either take a really crap heavy labouring job for a low pay or nothing at all, and I have a little pride in my abilities so I feel that kind of job is a big waste of time and my intelligence, so since I'm not in a position where I HAVE to take a crapy job well I decided not to. So I choose to do little tuning jobs for people and try and stay under the tax threshold but I don't think I will be able to stay that low this year, I'm having to turn alot of people down so I don't really know what to do at the moment. I'm getting enough to pay my bills and a bit of food and that's how it is for me. Quite an unconventional life :d
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Left the armed forces early 80's up in Townsville. Really liked the place and wanted to find something there so stayed around looking for work. Spend 3 months with nothing and after that I went on the dole for another 3 months. Then decided to move to Sydney where companies were willing to actually pay my relocation down from Townsville. Have not had a day unemployed since.
So if you can't find a job where you are you may need to move.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:

F U you. I am offended, and I am enraged.

Waste of air, resources and sperm u turned out to be. Have you no self respect?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
mad cow
blue oval addict

to craigosmoddedef. the reason you should get off the dole is that people like myself, who has been working and paying taxes since the age of 13 are the ones paying for your lazy *** lifestyle. i have no problem with people who dont want to work as long as they dont want the dole either.. the sooner centrelink crack down on people like you the better.

ps also add all that tex had to say, he has hit the nail on the head..
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #26
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Currently unemployed, As of last week.

Got made redundant, currently gathering evidence for an unfair dismissal case. It's looking good for me at the moment. (Photographic evidence)

Was kind of a rude shock, didn't see it coming and only just bought myself a house 4 months ago, coz you know thought I had job security... HA!

Anywho, thats my unemployment story, I guess it gives me an opportunity to get a job in the mines.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #27
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
to craigosmoddedef. the reason you should get off the dole is that people like myself, who has been working and paying taxes since the age of 13 are the ones paying for your lazy *** lifestyle. i have no problem with people who dont want to work as long as they dont want the dole either.. the sooner centrelink crack down on people like you the better.

ps also add all that tex had to say, he has hit the nail on the head..
hmmm, maybe someone needs to go around and teach him a lesson...lol, then he might get a job
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #28
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Might I remind everyone that whatever view you might hold about the choices made by craigsmoddedef the site T&C specifically prohibits derogatory comments about another member.

It's probably more effective if we merely all add him to our ignore lists so that he can remain isolated in his fools paradise.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #29
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Im throwing this out there but maybe he's banned from AFF until he shows AFF he is genuine in his efforts in looking for work rather than his current attitiude which sux's and is offensive (atleast he's in the minority im positive that most on the dole are genuine in looking for work)." id prefer to sit on my bum drinking all day everyday and rake in everyone elses tax dollars. i LOVE AUSTRALIA!!" that makes me made when I here that sentence :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #30
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Might I remind everyone that whatever view you might hold about the choices made by craigsmoddedef the site T&C specifically prohibits derogatory comments about another member.

It's probably more effective if we merely all add him to our ignore lists so that he can remain isolated in his fools paradise.

Regards
Russ
Amen! Commonsense advice!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post