Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default New Mod

Spent too much money, but this is my latest mod.

Digital Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauge from Spa Design (2nd hand off ebay).
Surround from Graham Goode Racing (UK).
Sandwich plate off ebay (goes between oil filter and filter housing, allowing for both sensors to be installed without tapping into the engine block or sump).

Installed the sensors myself, including getting the cabling through the firewall (grommet in drivers side wheel well). Proud of myself!!! (Doesn't take much) Left the electrics to Auto Electrician (I have no idea about electrics)

Brilliant gauge. Built in microprocessor. Can choose how units measured (C or F, lbs/inch2, bar, kg/cm2) Set custom warning alarms, retains peak measures, control sampling time, control colour, brightness etc etc.

Pics taken at night but a bit dodgy.

I like it because I feel it has a factory look, makes use of the useless coin tray space, and avoids ricer A pillar gauge position.

Two things I've learned.
Takes much longer for oil to come up to operating tempeature compared with water temp.
Oil gets very hot (combination of a bit of spirited driving and then getting caught in traffic).....goes to 106 degrees easily....may have to look at oil cooler when I do head, compression and cams.

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Spazzsfocus
RS Dreamer!

WOW that's awesome... your right, definitely looks like a factory option!

Plus it looks far more accurate than the ST170 gauges, which are still cool but not as functional.

Oh and I couldn't help noticing your clocks are 2 minutes out
Spazzsfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzsfocus
Oh and I couldn't help noticing your clocks are 2 minutes out
You don't miss a trick do you!!!:

Thanks for the kind words
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 19-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Well that does indeed fill that ugly i.m.o. gap which is the Coin Tray and looks pretty good. Is it back-lit? BTW has the Focus only done 64k? I'm only just behind you.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
melbzetec

Yep, only 64,000km. Your eyesight is bad either Eddie

Old 19-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coin holder isn't useless at all. I put my toy Focus RS in there. But no need for it anymore as it doesn't fit in the falcon. lol.

Nice mod there Steve. I like it very much. Looks a hell of a lot better the the ST170 ones.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Steve, That looks DEAD sexy mate. love the look.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Steve, FYI I have seen an ad for these gauges in my weekly motorsport mag. There's a Boost/Temperature, Fuel/Volts and a Oil/Water types available for $349 rrp in their range.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 20-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
melbzetec

Got mine for about $250 on ebay Eddie

Old 21-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Got to be happy with that!

Old 29-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Hi
This is a great mod.
What part number is the sandwich plate ?
Or what brand is it?
I think i will be doing this mod aswell.
Good stuff Melbzetec keep the cool : mods rollin.

Nik
Old 29-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
melbzetec

I bought it off ebay, from Matt Lewis Racing in the UK

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180244837237

Can't see it on his ebay shop at the moment, but I'm sure they'll come up again

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Thanks Melbzetec.
One more Question.
Did GGR Take there bloody time with the dash kit?
Its been 2 weeks thay have charged me on paypall and I sent them 4 emails and no reply.
Its starting to annoy me.
cheers

Nik
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
melbzetec

Hi Nik,
No, must admit I didn't have any problem with them, and in fact it was delivered pretty quickly. I'd give it another week, but odd that they're not returning emails.

Not sure if they keep many of them in stock...they maybe waiting for a batch. Try giving them a call. 7pm here is 10am there