Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default XR5 MB - Brake pedal behaviour - feedback pls

For some time I have had concerns about the state of the brake master cylinder.

The pedal does not hold booster/fluid pressure and bleeds down to a certain point - about 50 mm above floor with a hard mechanical sound knock at bottom of travel (like a bump stop). First occured about 18months ago @ 30000kms, and has been slowly getting worse (now 49000kms).

The brake fluid has been changed three times now - once by my usual mechanic Jan12, and twice by dealer in the last month (they're trying to be helpful !!). I'm not losing fliuid but it just don't feel right.

With so few XR5's here in CBR passing thru the dealer the task of making a comparison is almost a no-goer.

Could other XR5 owners pls provide some feedback on pedal behaviour after conducting the test below.
  1. Start the car and let idle.
  2. When stationary, put your foot on the brake and hold it there.
  3. Apply further foot pressure without lifting up.
  4. Apply more foot pressure until the pedal bottoms out (or not)

Does yours maintain that initial pedal pressure?
On mine, the initial pressure is ok, with any further foot pressure resulting in bleed down of boost/fluid until a hard travel stop is encountered. If you jump on the brakes it stops fine.

A comparison I did last week with a used XR5 in the dealers yard had that XR5 maintaining boost pressure on the pedal (still a bit spongy as expected for on-boost) and did not bottom out like mine does.

Any feedback most welcome.
I'm happy to chat face-to-face with any other CBR XR5 owners - PM me offline.

allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post