Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
FRIKA
FRIKA

Default Build Date/Compliance Date

I have just purchased a new car of which i belive has already been built in December 07 and its on its way to Perth. I have specifically asked the dealer that i want an 08 motor vehicle (which is on the contract). He advised that it will be 08 as the compliance plate is not stamped until arrival to the Port. . my car arrives in 1/2008??? would i be better of having an 08 build ie resale value or doesnt it matter as long as the compliance is 08.

Please help??

Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Kryton

i believe it will be classed as an 08 model as it will be complianced this year.
as for resale, if the rego sticker says its an 08 model, thats what you will sell it as.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

nope, always of build not complianced, otherwise you wouls wait years ans still have current year.

ie 2005 car complianced today, is not an 08 model car!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
nope, always of build not complianced, otherwise you wouls wait years ans still have current year.

ie 2005 car complianced today, is not an 08 model car!

Bugger not what i wanted to hear. :
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it has an 07 build plate on it then upon trade in it will be valued as an '07, regardless if it was complianced or registered in '08. If it was on the lot being advertised I bet it will have been advertised as an '08. Something to consider?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
If it has an 07 build plate on it then upon trade in it will be valued as an '07, regardless if it was complianced or registered in '08. If it was on the lot being advertised I bet it will have been advertised as an '08. Something to consider?

Being a mondeo the car is being shipped over from europe and is estimated to arrive in 3 weeks time. As far as im aware the first thing you look at when purchasing a motor vehicle is the compliance plate to confirm month & year. Mine will have 1/2008. So apparantley it will be registered as an 08 motor vehicle.

I understand what you are saying and also feel the same way but if i get documentary evidence confirming its an 2008 model than ill be happy.

Thats the problem with buying new cars so close to the beginning of the year.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
VSSII

Compliance plates really mean bugger all, with a prime example being the fact that Ford have been using stickers as compliance plates on Falcons for years. The odd overzealous car yard detailer has been known to blow them off with the gun. The compliance plate is needed for intial registration only and after this they are not needed. Not in NSW anyway as long as proof of past rego history can be obtained. And the RTA have this on record.

If you get a valo done at a yard sometime in the future the guy doing the valuation will valo (something I've done once or twice in the past) it as an 07 but take into account the 1st reg along with all the other things they look at. To call it an 08 would be incorrect but once you drive it and smell the new car smell you'll forget about silly things like numbers under the bonnet.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Be thankfull you dont live in Seppoland.

Over there you can buy a 2008 car in August 2007!!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Compliance plates really mean bugger all, with a prime example being the fact that Ford have been using stickers as compliance plates on Falcons for years. The odd overzealous car yard detailer has been known to blow them off with the gun. The compliance plate is needed for intial registration only and after this they are not needed. Not in NSW anyway as long as proof of past rego history can be obtained. And the RTA have this on record.

If you get a valo done at a yard sometime in the future the guy doing the valuation will valo (something I've done once or twice in the past) it as an 07 but take into account the 1st reg along with all the other things they look at. To call it an 08 would be incorrect but once you drive it and smell the new car smell you'll forget about silly things like numbers under the bonnet.

The more I think about it the more i feel like ringing the dealer and asking for an 08 build. Or ask for additional discount on the vehicle.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the car will not be complianced till it lands into port....

hence, to anyone that looks at the compliance plate, she will be an 08 car...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
the car will not be complianced till it lands into port....

hence, to anyone that looks at the compliance plate, she will be an 08 car...

thats what the dealer has told me as well
Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
FPVTurboTaxi

i have a 91 delica as a tow car . it was complied in 2002 and a vin number applied to the car .. the rego papers say its a 2002 but the build date is 1991 ... its a 1991 model not a 2002

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVTurboTaxi
i have a 91 delica as a tow car . it was complied in 2002 and a vin number applied to the car .. the rego papers say its a 2002 but the build date is 1991 ... its a 1991 model not a 2002

bloody hell. thats a few years difference. thats my issue i still think that if i was to sell the car later down the track that even though the papers may say 2008 im pretty sure if i was to trade it back to the dealer they would still look at the build date and reduce the price further. Its a win win situation for the dealer. Charge you for new 2008 even though built in 07 and then trade it at 07 not 08.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #14
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our other car is an import and has 2 compliance plates on it
1 from the country of manufacture ie build date Nov 95 and 1 Australian one ie Jan 96 there is 2 months difference between them
It is classed as a 96 model on all correspondence
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF XR8
Our other car is an import and has 2 compliance plates on it
1 from the country of manufacture ie build date Nov 95 and 1 Australian one ie Jan 96 there is 2 months difference between them
It is classed as a 96 model on all correspondence
Same here my wife's Hyundai built 2001, compliance 2002 Hyundai and the rego papers say its a 2002 model.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #16
Kryton

actually, the more i think about, when i was looking for a bike, most of which are imports anyway, if its listed as a 95 model for example, thats when it was complianced. being built 10 years earlier has no importance at all. it was still considered a 95 model.
have a quick look at Jap 250s and see for yourself.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Same here my wife's Hyundai built 2001, compliance 2002 Hyundai and the rego papers say its a 2002 model.
That's only due to dealer stuffing up (or ripping of your wife, which is most probable) as the car does not need to go to Vicroads the dealer fills in paperwork. Unfortunately your wife owns an '01 Hyundai.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
That's only due to dealer stuffing up (or ripping of your wife, which is most probable) as the car does not need to go to Vicroads the dealer fills in paperwork. Unfortunately your wife owns an '01 Hyundai.
Its classed as 2002 model we have since looked at trading it in, every dealer wrote it down as 2002 as per compliance, It also had insurance company inspection and was listed as a 2002.
As long as her agreed value stays at what they said ($12k) she will be happy..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Pft!

12/07 v's 01/08 means nothing. If it was 12/07 v's 06/08 I could see an issue.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
bob^
LPS

My BA was built in december 03, registered as an 03, but the build plate says the car was built Jan 04...
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
My BA was built in december 03, registered as an 03, but the build plate says the car was built Jan 04...
Must be a time machine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #22
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
i had a HQ that was the same as that.
first registered 3 months before the plates said it was made.
numbers matched, wasnt a rebirth either.
mine might have been a mule or a press car?
neighbour i bought it from claimed it used to be a cop car but it was kermit green and i couldnt see any evidence it ever was.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
mash85

i work in new car sales, and if your car is built in 07 it will always be considered an 07 car.

when doing valuations on vehicles, we always go by the build date, never the compliance plate. to the trade, if your car was built in 07, its already a year old. if you can, id try and wrangle for on 08 build car.

come trade in/sale time, if you had to cars that were very similar and one was built in late 07, and one early 08, the 08 will always be worth more. it will always be considered a year younger. even if its just a month or two separating the two.

on the contract you signed, does it specifically say that its to be a 2008 build car?
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
i work in new car sales, and if your car is built in 07 it will always be considered an 07 car.

when doing valuations on vehicles, we always go by the build date, never the compliance plate. to the trade, if your car was built in 07, its already a year old. if you can, id try and wrangle for on 08 build car.

come trade in/sale time, if you had to cars that were very similar and one was built in late 07, and one early 08, the 08 will always be worth more. it will always be considered a year younger. even if its just a month or two separating the two.

on the contract you signed, does it specifically say that its to be a 2008 build car?
And in $$$ terms we are talking how much. Hundreds? Thousands?

If the 07 car has 15,000 on the clock and the 08 had 50,000.... the 08 is still newer???

Or if they had the same kms but the 07 was better looked after??????
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 07-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be in car sales and when valuing a car it is always build date not compliance so if you get an 07 build i would atleast insist on a discount to compensate for this factor your car will be a 2007 not a 2008
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
And in $$$ terms we are talking how much. Hundreds? Thousands?

If the 07 car has 15,000 on the clock and the 08 had 50,000.... the 08 is still newer???

Or if they had the same kms but the 07 was better looked after??????
As I said before, and others have repeated; It's just one of many things that is looked at when doing a valuation. Every car is different and there are no set rules regarding financial differences. After all the price is set on what the buyer think he can sell the car for. But the build date is the only thing that is looked at by those in the trade when determining what year the car is. In fact i'd never heard of anyone placing so much importance on the compliance until this thread.

Any yard that advertised for example an 07 build/08 compliance Mercedes as an 08 model would be recieving a visit from the Dept of Fair Trading. I used Mercedes as an example because build/compliance variances are common due to their high demand and the ability to specifically tailor a car to your tastes resulting in further waiting.

However regarding the matter at hand, the truth may be in the wording the salesperson used. In the trade, an 08 model is an 08 build. This goes back to pre 1975 (ish) when compliance plates were introduced. The build date was all there was. He may be referring to the fact that it is the only model to be sold in 08 hence some buyers/enthusiasts not in the trade would call it an 08.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #27
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
As I said before, and others have repeated; It's just one of many things that is looked at when doing a valuation. Every car is different and there are no set rules regarding financial differences. After all the price is set on what the buyer think he can sell the car for. But the build date is the only thing that is looked at by those in the trade when determining what year the car is. In fact i'd never heard of anyone placing so much importance on the compliance until this thread.

Any yard that advertised for example an 07 build/08 compliance Mercedes as an 08 model would be recieving a visit from the Dept of Fair Trading. I used Mercedes as an example because build/compliance variances are common due to their high demand and the ability to specifically tailor a car to your tastes resulting in further waiting.

However regarding the matter at hand, the truth may be in the wording the salesperson used. In the trade, an 08 model is an 08 build. This goes back to pre 1975 (ish) when compliance plates were introduced. The build date was all there was. He may be referring to the fact that it is the only model to be sold in 08 hence some buyers/enthusiasts not in the trade would call it an 08.
I'm not arguing the difference between Compliance and Build. Totaly understand and agree.

My issue is with the BS re: gotta be this years.....
My GT is a 12/05 build dilivered 02/06. It has, as far as I am aware, not effected the value of the car.

Poeple talking about cars being worth 'less' simply based on the fact it's a 12/XX build full of it. A 02/XX build car is worth more than a 01/XX build, which is bettered again by the 03/XX..... but wait, they make cars in 04/XX too...... .......

Maybe they'd be better off with a Melvin Star.
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #28
xw_beast

Dude its only a Mondeo. Wont be worth anything in 6 years anyway.
When ordering parts for an imported car, you use the build date that it came out of the factory, not the compliance date, or you might end up with the next model waterpump that just doesn't fit the previous model. Sorry, you've got a 12/07 Mondeo.
xw_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #29
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw_beast
Dude its only a Mondeo. Wont be worth anything in 6 years anyway.
When ordering parts for an imported car, you use the build date that it came out of the factory, not the compliance date, or you might end up with the next model waterpump that just doesn't fit the previous model. Sorry, you've got a 12/07 Mondeo.
Not always true. The 95 and early 96 Mondeo used the compliance date. (for most parts)

That is why the workshop tech and Parts guys hated them so much.....
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #30
FRIKA
FRIKA

Im back.

Too much conflicting information on here which has confused the hell out of me. I have done further research and if I did trade in my motor vehicle it would valued as an 08 even though it has been built in 07 especially imported motor vehicles. As previously mentioned the Fair Trading ACT covers this and the individual salesperson and the car yard could face hefty fines.

I have also spoken to a former car salesmen, a car wholesaler whom have all confirmed that when the car is valued they look at the compliance plate to confirm the year.

At the end of the day i could ask for an 08 build. But how long will it be before it is delivered. Say its May 08. Well within that time my car being traded will hit the 2 year mark and further depreciate. It sounds hell of a lot better being 1yr & 7 months old.

So at this point in time I really dont know what to do?